Troble

Beef Shawarma

Beef marinade recipe courtesy of Padma Lakshi. I used a 6lb Lamb Shoulder or boneless leg of lamb for the cut. Cooked at 425-400, sliced 3x & basted with leftover marinade after each slicing. 

Beef Shawarma

Lamb cooked on the Komodo Kamado with the Trompo King attachment. Marinade courtesy of Padma Lakshmi

1/2 cup Lemon juice 
1/2 cup Balsamic vinegar 
2  tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Salt 
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Cardamom
1 tsp Oregano 
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Ground cloves (go easy on the cloves, I didn't have ground cloves and used whole cloves and it was a bit too much)
1 tsp Black pepper
1 tsp Cayenne 
1 tsp Ginger
1 tsp Z’atar (this was my addition to Padma's recipe)

Served with 

Beet/tahini yogurt sauce 

2 medium sized beets wrapped in tin foil and roasted at 450 for 45 minutes

1/4 tsp salt

1/3 cup full fat yogurt

1.5 tsp Tahini

top with fresh cut dill

1 clove garlic

Homemade Tadziki 

1 cup Greek whole milk yogurt

1 English cucumber

2 cloves garlic

1 teaspoon lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill

Kosher salt & fresh cracked black pepper to taste

Mediterranean salad

1 diced red onion

2 cans garbanzo beans

1 1/2 cups of fresh mint

1 red bell pepper

1 yellow bell pepper

1 orange bell pepper

2 large cucumbers (peeled and chopped)

1/2 cup crumbled feta

For the Dressing

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

2 cloves of garlic (minced)

1 1/2 teaspoons oregano

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Roasted garlic & olive oil pearled cous cous 

boxed and served with fresh herbs (parsley, thyme etc)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

56 minutes ago, Basher said:

Outstanding Troble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir. The flavors were really incredible. The balsamic with lemon and spices was superb probably how you normally make it. Slicing it into smaller chunks allowed the marinade to penetrate more into f the meat. Incredible flavor. 

• Like 1

I saw this cook first on the other thread and was disappointed the recipes were just hinted. Then I found you hadn't let us down at all; just making sure we read all the threads. Very nice cook, Troble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jonj said:

I saw this cook first on the other thread and was disappointed the recipes were just hinted. Then I found you hadn't let us down at all; just making sure we read all the threads. Very nice cook, Troble.

Yeah I figured it’s better to post the recipes here for long term accessibility.

I will say that this is the recipe I’ll be using going forward. The taste of the meat was on my lips all night and my wife abs father in law both couldn’t stop talking about it. Using the shoulder cut I think was better as well. I asked for a boneless leg of lamb but didn’t realize they gave me the wrong cut till I got to the checkout stand. I use pork shoulder for the adobada so I figured lamb should should work just as well. It was super soft and tasty. Absolutely great dish 

only thing that I would improve on next time is it was a bit heavy on cloves. I didn’t have ground cloves so I used a few whole cloves in the food processor, the sauces evened it out but it was a bit too “clovey” to be considered perfect execution in my eyes 

Edited by Troble

Because it is impossible to predict how much meat you’ll have or how much people will eat, and hopefully you planned for leftovers from this cook which means that undoubtedly you’ll have lots of extra pitas. So what does one do?

in the morning you make scrambled eggs with truffle salt, black pepper, fresh rosemary from the garden & Parmesan cheese. You lightly toasted/warm the pitas and you put some applewood smoked bacon, scrambled eggs & avocado in the pita and you have yourself a delicious  breakfast pita 

EE3CF83D-ADF4-49B7-B960-73095C716B65.jpeg

• Like 5

Based on @Troble saying that this marinade works for other meats, I tried this out with chicken thighs yesterday.  Delicious!

Two modifications:  I agree with @Troble about the cloves.  I ground them up with the other spices but still found that the flavour dominated.  I would halve the quantity of cloves next time.  The second modification was that I did not use my expensive balsamic vinegar in the marinade.  I used this stuff - Saba - instead.  All in all, it tasted great.  

IMG_9459.thumb.jpeg.11ab635c84a2128e09f15e139ea5ece0.jpeg

IMG_9454.thumb.jpeg.4948654e8d1d00ddefca818d5e6afaf4.jpeg

IMG_9455.thumb.jpeg.72106e5bf2dc54f22be6ee099722dc13.jpeg

• Like 6