SilverSuzieQue

Paella Naked Whiz Style

So I have been busy grilling and a lot of remiss with posting. A couple weeks ago I had a friend over who wanted shrimp for dinner so I decided to make paella. Mind you I have never made paella before but I have eaten my share. So I researched and research and found a procedure on Naked Whiz's site. What I found most helpful was Naked Whiz provided the pillars or the important things to pay attention to and the basic procedure this was brilliant since I rarely follow recipes.  So again I am not going to plagiarize from Naked Whiz if you want the procedure go to the link above I am going to share my experience, ingredients and what I learned.

I wanted to buy the sofrito but could not find anything to my satisfaction however, I did find a recipe on Pinterest that seemed like it was the real deal and I was not wrong. I cooked Heidi's recipe  the night before and it provided amazing depth of flavor and I will make it again as a base for many recipes not just paella. I used canned whole San Marzano style tomatoes without the juice.

For the liquid I used chicken bone broth by Kettle and Fire with 32 oz of clam juice in the bottle. I made sure this was warmed and ready to add.

My ingredients included:

1 lb shrimp soaked 30 minutes in a salt brine

0.6 lb salmon soaked 30 minutes in a salt brine

3 lobster tails soaked 30 minutes in a salt brine

1/2 lb Basque style Chorizo, not my first choice, I would have preferred Spanish style and yes I mixed meats.

For veggies I used 

1 cup frozen peas

Tops from one bunch of asparagus par boiled in the liquid

Photo below shows the ingredients ready to go.

IMG_8226.thumb.JPG.ea093b93a3342f64e5b99eade58eb617.JPG

Everything I read said to have your ingredients prepped and ready to go and it paid off in spades.

I got the grill to 550 degrees and away I went. Saute chorizo, warmed the sofrito, browned the rice in the sofrito, added saffron, then added the liquid and cooked for about 30 minutes, added the vegetables and mixed into the rice. Then I added the seafood on top and cooked for about 10 minutes and the results were amazing as demonstrated by the beauty shown in the photo below. The rice was creamy the flavor profile was complex and balanced. Frankly, I have thought about this meal everyday since I have made it. What I learned was this dish is beautiful to look at, amazing flavor, fairly simple to make. I will definitely make this again and thanks to Naked Whiz for the procedure and all the tips. While I have a pork butt smoking as I write this I really want some more paella! 

IMG_8229.thumb.JPG.bc67f34411c8fe9046338724b0dd2773.JPG

Edited by SilverSuzieQue
  • Like 14