GeorgeFromOz

Cooking overnight

Hi brains trust,

I have had my KK for about 6 months now and I am finally starting to feel comfortable in her presence. In fact, I think I might be catching some feelings.

Anyway, the next challenge is doing an overnight cook. I have tried it once but had to throw out the meat as the temp climbed too much and apparently I am a heavy sleeper. 

I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with an automatic temp controller/blower. Do have any experiences you can share or recommendations?

Thanks.

I’ve been using controllers for years..and love them. They’re not necessary at all, the kk will hold temperature perfectly by itself, but the controllers let me sleep better. Currently I’m using an ultraq, but there are several quality units available. I prefer the WiFi units, it scratches my techie itch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Use to be people stayed up all night and tended the pit to get good BBQ. Then along came the Kamado's, pellet grills, charcoal gravity feeds and the game became much simpler. Like 5698k said, a controller makes things easier and yes you sleep better. I don't have one a then again I don't do the all night cook anymore, we plan around that now during the day. So many choices, I'm sure more Techie's will assist you so you can sleep better.

i have a cyberQ for this very reason. It has some quirks but it works; the quirks are aggravating but no so much that I'm willing to spend the money on something else - the biggest one is that  i haven't found an app to control and monitor it so alerts are via email and/or text and you have to log into a web app to control and monitor. I'd much prefer a direct notification from an app.

If i were looking for a replacement, i'd start with ThermoWorks - i don't know how week it works or if it has similar issue as the cyberQ but given the quality of their other stuff, if be prepared to be impressed.