Tyrus

Pulled Chuck Roast

I wanted to use the new new smoke pot and pair it with something worthy of taking some smoke. This piece of meat looking like a Tri-tip and shaped like the country of Argentina was described on it's label as a Chuck Roast Fillet cut. It was very lean and unlike any Chuck I've seen before, but I thought this being a test, it was worthy of the trial. So picking up where Forrest left off I decided to use some apple pieces 1/2"x3/4"x2" long and fit them into the small pot that I predrilled with two 1/8" holes. I placed the pot on the bottom center of my 23 and covered it completely with lump. The fire was lit on both sides of the pot and after 15-20 mins began smoking. Once established and as the temp reached 200+ the smoke turned to a more suitable color. The meat was dressed with two rubs, the first a prep rub called That's Incredible and the finisher Bovine Bold by Plow Boys. As Forrest previously stated, the smoke endured for quite some time and was sufficient to do the job...maybe too much by the result. It may have been the meat being so lean or it's thickness that contributed to the amount of smoke penetration, but after all was said and done the meat was pulled off at 1/2 the size it was placed on. 

It was approx 9 PM when I schredded the cut. I found it able to come apart but unlike pork that has an abundance of fat and tissue this piece pulled between a cross of chipped beef and long strands as the pic demonstrates. So all in all the pot was a success in my case and in Forrest's with I'm sure other cooks to apply it's use towards in the future. One thing worth mentioning might be was I set the beef outside on this very cold day here in New England while the KK came to temp. I believe the meats cold temp contributed to the amount of smoke absorption by allowing it to remain in the smoke for a longer period, eh maybe yes maybe no, but what I do know is that it absorbed more smoke than any piece of meat I have placed on a grill...seen through the pics

DSCF3375.JPG

DSCF3376.JPG

DSCF3379.JPG

DSCF3377.JPG

DSCF3380.JPG

DSCF3382.JPG

DSCF3383.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 3

So Tyrus, does that pot make an airtight seal or just a tight seal when you put it together? I ask because several years ago I bought a small cast iron dutch oven similar in size to this little device, intending to use a machine screw and wing nut to keep the top on rather than the flour paste. I didn’t proceed due to some of the comments at the time about the importance of the seal. The lid (inverted) and pot made a decent seal together but not air tight. What do you think, now you have used this clamp-top device?

• Like 1

I would say a tight seal would be more appropriate. The top lid fits into the base by approx 1/4" and is a good seal.  The clamp holds the lid tightly against the base lip, there is no wiggle between the inserted lid and the base wall. All in all I find the seal to be good and judging by the length of time this little unit puts out smoke I would have to say the seal is workable. Forrest mentioned that his pot ran and produced good smoke for a long time and I would have to concur with his assessment. The smoke was slow and steady and there were no off flavors associated with the meat except it penetrated deeply, but that could have been for several reasons. The size is just right and the $16 price a no brainer. Unfortunately the pot was buried so any leakage or observation wasn't seen. In the beginning the quality of smoke was poor however it cleared and produced good smoke thereafter. Lastly I would say to you, go for it, attach the screw and wing nut and see what you get.......don't leave a good thought collecting dust on the bench. What's the worst that could happen, safety goggles. That's all she wrote

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 475ml MSR pot is perfect for those of who don’t want to use flour paste, don’t like large items atop your firebox, and for those who want the ability to bury your smoker pot. It’s also relatively affordable, I’m really liking mine.

I doubt it is completely airtight and you probably will have some smoke leave the lid, however the fitment is excellent and it has tight tolerances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Two cups of pellets is a lot of smoke! More then most meats need. Pellets are compressed wood so you have the most volume with these. I added a sink strainer (stainless steel) from Home Depot to ensure the pellets don’t block the holes. All of these pellets fit in the 475ml with the strainer.
c670ecdc016b57296487cb2a747a7022.jpg
4ffe59bf130646a85eca6d54d33ef683.jpg
c9eac2b8862b147e613b12cc16b3cacc.jpg
1b2b1dd1a2bb3510b1f84f7ba13b458c.jpg

• Like 3

It's a good precaution to cover the holes, but as I found with the solid pieces unnecessary. I do burn pellets in my home and actually I'm just finishing my 5th ton of those little critters from burning them in my Harmon stove.  I realize from observation that within the confines of the Harmon burn pot the ash can restrict airflow, once the fuel is consumed the ash being so fine covers the holes and slows the fire. So yah, the drain net is a good idea for pellets, however wood chunks and chips maintain there form throughout the burn and I think it's something you can leave out for there application. From the pics you gave looking off your deck I didn't see many trees, maybe a lone cactus in the distance. Here in the Northeast wood is abundant, especially when a grandson has tree business to remove them, so filling a little pot or even the offset stick burner is not a concern with all kinds of smoke profiles. Think of it as fire management, think we covered the bases grasshopper.

• Like 3

On 3/19/2021 at 10:56 PM, Forrest said:

Two cups of pellets is a lot of smoke! More then most meats need. Pellets are compressed wood so you have the most volume with these. I added a sink strainer (stainless steel) from Home Depot to ensure the pellets don’t block the holes. All of these pellets fit in the 475ml with the strainer.
c670ecdc016b57296487cb2a747a7022.jpg
4ffe59bf130646a85eca6d54d33ef683.jpg
c9eac2b8862b147e613b12cc16b3cacc.jpg
1b2b1dd1a2bb3510b1f84f7ba13b458c.jpg

What is the blue residue on the lid?  It looks like copper sulfate, but since everything is stainless, there shouldn't be any copper involved.  Hopefully you didn't melt your glove!  Still, you can add me to the list of those that have bought the pot.

• Like 2