Bruine

Baking/pizza steel

Hello friends,

Many of you use pizza steel. Your posts just created a new need. Can you give advice how to choose a good one. There is huge differences of price. Should I go for plain steel ou cast iron. Should I go for the thickest one? Just saw a 1 cm plain steel that seems very interesting, but would like hear you before taking the plunge.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Steel and cast iron have different heat transfer rates. The advantage of steel over cast iron or stone is the thermal “punch” due to the much higher heat transfer. So...stick with steel. I use the Baking Steel 16” round for pizza, but really anything 1/4” thick or more will do.

• Like 1

Steel and cast iron have different heat transfer rates. The advantage of steel over cast iron or stone is the thermal “punch” due to the much higher heat transfer. So...stick with steel. I use the Baking Steel 16” round for pizza, but really anything 1/4” thick or more will do.

Thx. Will do that. Unfortunately, cast iron is easier to find and cheaper. But I already have nice cast iron devices.

If you really want 1CM, you might consider getting two thinner pizza steels instead.  Here's my logic.  If you follow Tony Gemignani's Pizza Bible, it is a good idea to have two.  One to cook the pizza on, and one to transfer the pizza to for a few seconds to crisp the crust just a bit more.  You can put one on the upper rack and one on the main grate.  This works very well.  If you decide you really need the thermal mass of a thicker steel, you can just layer the two together.  Two thin steels are much easier to carry separately than one thick one - you'd be surprised how heavy they are.

Edited by LK BBQ
  • Like 1

If you really want 1CM, you might consider getting two thinner pizza steels instead.  Here's my logic.  If you follow Tony Gemignani's Pizza Bible, it is a good idea to have two.  One to cook the pizza on, and one to transfer the pizza to for a few seconds to crisp the crust just a bit more.  You can put one on the upper rack and one on the main grate.  This works very well.  If you decide you really need the thermal mass of a thicker steel, you can just layer the two together.  Two thin steels are much easier to carry separately than one thick one - you'd be surprised how heavy they are.

Thx. Good option to consider