Dono

Another Texan on Board with a 32" BB

Hello from Texas....Aledo.  I just wanted to throw out a quick hello. I recently ordered a 32” BB and some accessories.  I am waiting patiently, not really, for the big arrival in a couple of weeks.  Tracking says it is anchored just outside port waiting her turn to be unloaded.  I’ve been prowling around for a few weeks and am very impressed with everyone’s knowledge and the willingness to share it.  I initially ordered the 23” Ultimate and after a lot of deliberation, came back and changed it to the BB.  I’m not sure about y’all, but I always seem to have buyers remorse when I don't take the step up when I have the option to do it.  So this time I did.  Rather have more than not enough.         

I have never used a komado style cooker before, just a stick burner and a Blaze gasser.  I was getting tired of being chained to my stick burner for 12-14 hours and was shopping a KJ BJ III.  That’s when I tripped onto the KK website..... found the forum and the rest is history.  I was very impressed with the KK quality and user feedback.  It’s a pricey buy, but I believe long term it will be worth it.   

I guess my next buy will be a good blue tooth thermometer.  The one I currently have is on life support.  I’m leaning towards the ThermoWorks Signals, but still shopping it.  I may add the billows but think I’ll hold off on a control fan for now.  There is a lot of info and opinions about thermometers and fans on the forum.  Takes a while to get through it all. 

Anyway, happy to be here and look forward to my first cook.  Have to say I love this forum – everyone is awesome!  

• Like 5

Welcome! I am new here as well but congrats on the purchase!

What I can say is if you do go with ThermoWorks (no matter which model of theirs you go with) you are going to be VERY happy. I've owned a lot of their products over the years and every single one has exceeded expectations.

• Like 1

Welcome! I have both a 23 and 32, and there are only two of us here. If I had to have only one, it would be the 32 hands down. It's almost always in split basket configuration for 2-zone grilling, but has all the flexibility to smoke a massive pile o' meat, rotisserie multiple chooks, or do two 14" pizzas at once. You won't regret the upsizing.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GrillnBrew said:

Looks like the waiting room for new KK deliveries is starting to fill up!  Which color did you get and which accessories?  I too will vouch for Thermoworks, I have the Signals, two Thermapens, a Thermopop, and another with a long probe I use for brewing.

Glossy Autumn Gold Flake.  Not a lot of accessories. Got the basket splitter, a couple of side shelves, the grate grabbers, and some coffee wood.  Coco char is in short supply.  As is coffee char in the larger boxes.  So I may need to see if I can find some KK owners in my area to share a shipment with later on.  ThermoWorks is starting to take the lead.        

21 minutes ago, tony b said:

Welcome to the Obsession! You're about to enter a whole new world of BBQ cooking with your KK. Here's a link to some startup advice I gave another newbie here. 

Thanks tony b, I'll definitely check it out.  

Congrats on the decision to invest Dono.
My tip for you is to take 12 months to understand the manual settings on your KK and what temperature you can hold at before investing in a fan.
There a a few fan options in the market and they are really good for low n slow cooks.
Exciting times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi Dono and congrats!

I just wanted to warn you about specifically the ThermoWorks signals unit.  (I stumbled across your post looking to see what other options there are out there because my experience has been beyond frustrating and disappointing.) If you go to their site and look at the reviews for the signals unit you will see my problem is an extremely common one...tons of reviews saying the same thing.  The signals unit supposedly can use WiFi (2.5 GHz only) 🙄...and Bluetooth.  Sometimes it works but most of the time it won’t connect to either...meaning...running back and forth to the Komodo throughout the cook to see what the temp is....this clearly completely defeats the purpose of this having this unit. It is supposed to alert you to high and low temps that you can set, allow you to able to reset temp settings remotely, check in and see your current temp wherever you are.   Mine didn’t work sometimes standing right next to it.  IT at ThermoWorks has multiple troubleshooting ideas... turn off your router and turn it back on, shut down your unit (mid cook) and restart, etc to attempt to rectify the situation but even if it works momentarily...it will go back to not transmitting the info again within a few minutes. They are copying and pasting a notification on their web page in response to the negative reviews that they have a new app that’s supposed to have helped with this but I’m very skeptical that an app would fix this.  Thus, I was here looking to see if anyone here has experience with the signals unit and new app...before I buy it again and become super frustrated with it.  All that said...their pens are fantastic. 😁. Just be forewarned! Good luck! 

• Like 1

@Dono congrats on the purchase! I went through the same decision making process as you and landed on a 32 and I’ve never regretted the decision 

one thing I sill add is I’d highly recommend you consider the rotisserie and pizza stone. Both those items open up a bunch of cooking options that let you unlock the full potential of the KK IMHO

Congrats Dono, a choice well made. Unfortunate you loosing patience with the offset, it is time consuming and a game that involves one's all. You'll appreciate the break, and the unique pleasure a KK can offer from the constant care of the offset, but I doubt you'll forever depart,  yet maybe entwine the two for a useful marriage. They'll be no disappointment in performance with the 32, it covers the bases...I just hope you chose tiles, don't be dissuaded, stick with the original and your path is certain

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, mstang1988 said:

I live in Texas as well (Round Rock) and am a month or two away from my BB 32 in black with square tile.  I'm stoked!  

Hey, mstang!  Welcome to the forum and CONGRATS!  Yeah, I’m pretty stoked too!!  Expecting mine in a few days.  The boat made it and was moored in CA about a week and a half ago. There is a ton of info and knowledge in this forum. And a lot of people willing to help. It’s awesome!  Did you get any accessories with yours?  

I’m hoping someone who has been through the KK unpacking process can answer a question.  I’m stoked to be getting my 32 BB this week.  When you implode the box holding it off the legs and free up the rollers, is it pretty safe to roll it down the crate ramp?  Does the lid need to be removed prior to attempting this?  Maybe I’m over thinking it.  But it seems like it might be top heavy and roll over rather than down the ramp.  I would prefer not to remove the lid....concerns about getting it lined up as well as the factory, but if it is totally necessary, then I will.  Oh, there will be myself and 2 buddies unpacking it.  And the crate will be sitting on the concrete porch where the KK will reside.  Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. 

My experience was that you can easily do this and not to be worried about it. I broke down the box, prepped everything, removed everything even the ropes (although I’d recommend leaving this on for later) on my own before getting a helping hand to roll it off. There is a small bump to get over, but I used some of the would broken off the box and crate to lay a path and make it a small bump. Me and my 60 yr old neighbor had it off in less than a minute and safe after we got it started. The moment of tip from flat to ramp is a nerve racking one of course, but as many people that have asked, I haven’t read a story yet where anyone had it happen.

The only thing that is a must is don’t pull up or hard on the lid handles to push it and definitely don’t try and lift it by that. That has big potential for bad news.

• Like 1

Dono once you remove the outer packing, you can rock it off the box supporting underneath and straight onto the ramp and off the crate.
2 blokes, no problem.
They are surprisingly robust even though your brain tells you it’s ceramic.
Just don’t hit it with a hammer.

• Haha 2