flashdaddy

32" Big Bad headed to Allen Texas

Hi All,

Now that my final payment has been made an my BB32 is on it's way, I thought it is a good time to introduce myself.  I'm in Allen Texas just north of Dallas.  My background and path to the BB32 is similar to a lot of stories I've read on the forum.  I've been using a Large BGE for about 10 years.  At the time I switched from a gasser to the BGE I was so impressed that I gave my very nice Weber gasser to my brother (which he still uses).  I'm supper excited to join the next level experience of the KK.

Like a lot of you I started out thinking about the 23.  Talked to Dennis and even got on the build list for a 23....next day upgraded to the 32.  

My 32 is on the boat, hopefully arriving late April.

KomodoKamado.jpeg

• Like 12

I went to school in Austin (before Franklin's) so The Salt Lick will always be #1 to me.  Hutchin's is the best in DFW area hands down IMHO.  Sadly the original McKinney location suffered a kitchen fire a couple of months ago so it's closed at the moment for repairs.

Accessories: basket splitter, pizza stone, H/C Smoker, grate grabbers, rotisserie spit, cover, coco char, Coffee Char.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Welcome to the Obsession. Glad to see that you loaded up on cocochar and coffee charcoal. Those items are often overlooked as "accessories" when buying a KK. 

I was recently in Austin and had plans to go to the Salt Lick, but some last minute issues came up and I missed out on going. 😢 Was one of my "bucket list" items. Guess I'll just have to plan another visit!

All those extras will keep you busy for a while and you may even use them when you recover over the initial shock of it's beauty and presence. See you have a boxer, great companion, mine was named Tyrus. (a good dogs name)  Like the color 

Hi All,  

Sorry I didn't share this sooner.  Been really hectic around here.

My KK arrived last Friday.  The arrival window was 10am-2pm and the moving company finally showed up at 4:45pm and we had dinner reservations at 6:45 with our neighbors.  Neighbors drove by and noticed the commotion and came over to admire my new love and it turned into an unpacking party.

I had the moving guy (very friendly guy) move the pallet into my backyard.  We have a pool with concrete deck so no problems with grass. To get the pallet into the backyard I had to remove two fence panels.  Because of the dinner reservations I unfortunately didn't take many pictures.  My wife might have a few additional ones I will share later.

There is one step up to a raised area of the patio with the KK will live so that's all we had to navigate as far as moving.  I have a 1" thick plywood sheet in my garage so we used that with 2x4 blocking underneath to create a bridge from the pallet to the raised patio.  We used the blue ropes attached to the front feet to raise the front enough to slide the plywood under them and then the KK moved no problem with just me an my neighbor.  It was basically a flat surface at that point.

We were 30 min late to dinner but the restaurant had held our table so no problem.  The next day I made burgers while being careful to keep the temp below 400.  They were awesome but I could have done better if I wasn't so concerned about the temp.  The original plan was to cook a brisket first but because of the rush unpacking I wasn't ready yet.  So brisket went on the next night.  It was a small brisket (only 11lbs).  I used the Franklin method and cooked at 230 through the stall and then wrapped.  AWESOME.  

My neighbor has an XL BGE.  I've told him he will own a KK within the next 12 months.  Guaranteed.

My old BGE in the pics below served me well for 10yrs.  So as a reward to her I have donated her to a good friend who is in need of an upgrade from his old gasser.  he will treat her better than I can considering another has now stolen my heart.

I just started the burn in today.  She's sitting at 500 for almost an hour now.  Nothing exciting happening yet.

The BGW was sitting in a table that I made.  I've cut it down to create a temporary side table for the KK.  I didn't order the side tables because my intention is to build a brick island with granite top to sit beside the KK.  I have three straps of spare brick that's been in my garage since I moved in and I've been waiting for the right project to use them.

PXL_20210611_220539759.thumb.jpg.234fbf4348007f7e4f1042f20569e9f4.jpg

-Eric

PXL_20210611_153013119.jpg

PXL_20210611_221826427.jpg

PXL_20210612_161905645.jpg

PXL_20210612_152917314.jpg

PXL_20210612_155754641.jpg

Edited by flashdaddy
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

Looks beautiful. :smt055 :smt041 Too bad the arrival was so hectic but all that will soon be forgotten if it hasn't already. :-D

Just part of my story now.  All good. My biggest fear was the moving guy not being able to get the pallet into the backyard and me having to navigate the KK from my garage to backyard with a sloped driveway.   Once it got to the backyard everything else was fine

Looks awesome! I was also a BGE guy that went from gas to Smokey Mountain Cooker to XL BGE (and a mini) to a 32" just this spring. I'm really enjoying it and the BGE experience makes it a seamless transition. Enjoy the process, I know I have. I've also been making You Tube videos as I go to help other newbies, and Dennis has been great prepping me with the right info for the videos! What a great little community we have here.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BigO said:

Looks awesome! I was also a BGE guy that went from gas to Smokey Mountain Cooker to XL BGE (and a mini) to a 32" just this spring. I'm really enjoying it and the BGE experience makes it a seamless transition. Enjoy the process, I know I have. I've also been making You Tube videos as I go to help other newbies, and Dennis has been great prepping me with the right info for the videos! What a great little community we have here.

I've watched your videos.  They are awesome.  I was thinking of doing the same until you filled the void.  I think serious kamado users who are not certain about swallowing the price of the KK would really benefit from understanding the step up in technology that the KK provides besides just the patio candy look.

• Like 1