BARDSLJR

Recommendations for cooking leg of lamb

7 hours ago, Troble said:

How do you cook these recipes on your kK? Do you use a Tajine or another device?

On my KK I simply cook on the main grill, perhaps with a drip pan to control flareups. For example, chicken tandoor gets basted with ghee. You could baste my old hiking books in ghee after a spice marinade, and you'd swear that this updated Charlie Chaplin classic dish was best thing you ever ate.

7 hours ago, Jadeite said:

did a quick google and this is one of THE books.

Yes, once you see it you won't need anyone else telling you this, it will be your opinion too. It's a real, published in India masterpiece that makes no compromises but is nevertheless easy to execute if one has the spices. It's all about spice and marinade handling.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Syzygies said:

Yes, once you see it you won't need anyone else telling you this, it will be your opinion too. It's a real, published in India masterpiece that makes no compromises but is nevertheless easy to execute if one has the spices. It's all about spice and marinade handling.

One of my favourite online used book sites had a copy of it in Canada (easy shipping to me) so after your post and my quick google I ordered it and it should be here on Thursday. I am very excited to get it!

Getting back to leg of lamb, another technique is to butterfly it and grill over higher heat, and I think I may try this next time, as it would increase the surface-to-meat ratio and step up the lovely flavor of the garlic-rosemary (and maybe anchovy ) paste......which was really yummy on my recent roast.

On 4/5/2021 at 11:16 AM, tony b said:

I posted this in the Cooking thread, but thought it appropriate to repeat here. Boneless leg from Porter Rd, so it was trimmed up nicely to start with. My house rub, with a bit of extra mint tossed in, made into a paste with Duke's mayo and shoved inside with a teaspoon, along with rubbing the outside. Rotisserie cook, with smoker pot of coffee and apple woods, 275F until rare (120F). 

49576635_EasterBunnyLambsie001.thumb.jpg.df697e7afa61ca20f9c9d7adbb3190c2.jpg

888729829_EasterBunnyLambsie003.thumb.jpg.57be1faad551254f431dfcee3230e262.jpg

Tony, How long did it take you to cook that I’m going to try it

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 10:29 AM, Syzygies said:

On my KK I simply cook on the main grill, perhaps with a drip pan to control flareups. For example, chicken tandoor gets basted with ghee. You could baste my old hiking books in ghee after a spice marinade, and you'd swear that this updated Charlie Chaplin classic dish was best thing you ever ate.

Of course I couldn't resist.  

IMG_9280.thumb.jpeg.598b8ee1b393174cae1b6e6c189f269b.jpeg

For UK KK'ers - this book is on a number of sites for over £100.  I got the best deal, at £49, here https://puritandoors.co.uk/recipe-book-by-ranjit-rai.html

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 3

On 4/6/2021 at 2:28 AM, Syzygies said:

Steven Raichlen PBS Project Smoke ~ Tandor Lamb

On a KK, of course.

One can find "Tandoor: the Great Indian Barbecue" used sometimes. It's one of my favorite Indian and BBQ cookbooks.

100% endorse this. If you're into Indian food @Syzygies you might enjoy Krish Ashok's Science of Indian Cooking

• Like 4

Sneaky smart @Braai-Q.  I know you are on a mission to get me to buy enough cookbooks to make up for “helping” you make the decision to keep two KKs (and move up to a 32?).  You recommended this book to me a few months ago and I managed to resist temptation. Then you come on here and get the @Syzygies endorsement.  That means you get the double win of bending forum members to your will and, maybe, just maybe getting me to shell out for yet another book.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Sneaky smart @Braai-Q.  I know you are on a mission to get me to buy enough cookbooks to make up for “helping” you make the decision to keep two KKs (and move up to a 32?).  You recommended this book to me a few months ago and I managed to resist temptation. Then you come on here and get the @Syzygies endorsement.  That means you get the double win of bending forum members to your will and, maybe, just maybe getting me to shell out for yet another book.

I don't harbour grudges although I feel I should on the basis of not having scored an invite to pigfest yesterday!! I had a look at your cookbook collection yesterday pre-pig and was going 'got it, got got it, got it, ooo, not seen that, got it' so I have my work cut out to find books you don't have!

Don't buy it @tekobo, I shall buy one for you as a random act of kindness. Let me know if you've already ordered it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

Don't buy it @tekobo, I shall buy one for you as a random act of kindness. Let me know if you've already ordered it. 

I love random acts of kindness.  Yes please and thank you!  The book appeared to be out of stock when I looked this morning.  I ended up buying something else that was on my wish list.  No idea if it is any good but it has intrigued me for a while: The Art of Escapism Cooking: A Survival Story, with Intensely Good Flavors
by Amazon
Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0062802372/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_1V94M2JHDEAQZZ9GY9DR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

@BARDSLJR,  excuse me gate crashing your lamb thread.  I will slip away quietly now....

• Like 1