HogBoss1

Pull out ash pan required similar to the competition.

Komodo Kamado April 6 2021

I  am almost 80 and not very flexible especially when bending over and trying to maintain my balance while trying to scrape out the ashes.  I have used a portable handheld vacuum but that necessitates taking the KK apart and the vacuum cleaner frequently plugs up with residual charcoal. Because of these problems for me, I have given up using my KK and purchased a Memphis pellet grill, but I still prefer my KK if it were not so difficult to clean out the ashes.

I had almost given up hope for using my KK again when I came across a competitor's solution, an ash drawer with the air inlet part of the face of the ash drawer. All the ash falls into the drawer then can be pulled and is pulled out and dumped. 

It seems to me, what we have now simply needs a drawer attached to the air inlet controller face plate and my problem is solved. Of course, this shouldn't be a patent problem because the competitor's face plate has what appears to be non-adjustable air inlet holes whereas our KK has an adjustable air intake system. I guess the competitor must rely solely on the top vent to control temperature.

rely 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I understand the challenge. But, I don't think this design would work in the KK, as the vent door is much smaller than the firebox and the attached ash pan wouldn't catch all the ashes inside. 

I typically just scoop out the ashes from the top for a quick clean, but have a wet/dry shop vac, with the ash filter (a MUST) for really cleaning it out. Done in about 30 seconds. {Damn! The price has gone up a lot in the 5.5 years since I bought mine! I paid $74)

PowerSmith PAVC101 10 Amp Ash Vacuum - Shop Wet Dry Vacuums - AmazonSmile

AmazonSmile: PowerSmith PAAC301 Double Layer Washable Heat-Resistant Ash and Dust Vacuum Filter: Home Improvement

If you don't want to make this kind of investment (small price IMHO to keep using your KK), you can do what many others do and just pull out the vent assembly, place a pan under the opening and use a small whisk broom to sweep out the ashes into the pan. Easy, peasy!

• Like 4

I respect the challenge and think it was directed at the KK team to brainstorm. Respect for that, that is how innovation happens. Disclaimer, I’m a new owner with the KK. If I had a bad back and had to lift these grates out to clean, I’m betting I’d be in the same boat. It’s mainly the heat shield that is the deterrent because you can’t just pull the venting plate and scrape as the shield is an obstacle. You do have to get all the way in there. That said, my experience so far is that the ash is such a small amount that I can go the week of cooks without cleaning every time. Unless I go low and slow...those seem to get messier with the drippings and loose sauce.

I agree with the other posters that cleaning is not a huge challenge. But I’m also able bodied, and have zero challenge removing the grates and basket to get to the ash. Maybe a compromise for the innovation brain storm would be to have the shield removed with the venting plate when you pull it out from the front. This would allow clean up similar to what is described without an expectation that the ash will land in a basket which I wholeheartedly don’t believe happens even with the competitors mentioned.

My very first time cleaning, I pulled the vent plate, went in with the ash scraper having completely forgotten about the heat shield on the other side. I didn’t make it far without removing the grates, charcoal bask and then the heat shield to go about my original plan. Beginners learning curve but actually highlights the opportunity being described.

Lesson learned and I’m falling in line with the cordless vacuum as others have described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, BOC said:

It’s mainly the heat shield that is the deterrent because you can’t just pull the venting plate and scrape as the shield is an obstacle. You do have to get all the way in there.

Begs the obvious question - why are you using the ceramic heat shield? Not even Dennis recommends using it and only supplies it because that's what folks using other brands of ceramic grills are used to. It just adds to your heat up time/burns extra charcoal, for minimal return on investment. Now you have even extra incentive to not use it - makes clean up easier. 

Begs the obvious question - why are you using the ceramic heat shield? Not even Dennis recommends using it and only supplies it because that's what folks using other brands of ceramic grills are used to. It just adds to your heat up time/burns extra charcoal, for minimal return on investment. Now you have even extra incentive to not use it - makes clean up easier. 

Not referring to the ceramic heat shield, rather the stainless shield that can only be removed from the inside that shields heat/fire from the vent knobs.

This guy https://komodokamado.com/collections/32-big-bad-spare-parts/products/draft-door-heat-and-ash-shield-for-32

The old school heat deflector traps heat down below and gives worse performance..
KK's have plenty of thermal mass and the insulation means you don’t need a heat sink to add stability when the ambient temps change or the wind blows like the ceramic pot Kamados.  Pre-heat the grill empty, then drop in the lore grate with foil for the indirect area and drip pan on top..

https://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/10026-heat-deflectors-in-the-kk/?tab=comments#comment-121321

On 4/8/2021 at 12:53 AM, HogBoss1 said:

Komodo Kamado April 6 2021

I  am almost 80 and not very flexible especially when bending over and trying to maintain my balance while trying to scrape out the ashes.  I have used a portable handheld vacuum but that necessitates taking the KK apart and the vacuum cleaner frequently plugs up with residual charcoal. Because of these problems for me, I have given up using my KK and purchased a Memphis pellet grill, but I still prefer my KK if it were not so difficult to clean out the ashes.

I had almost given up hope for using my KK again when I came across a competitor's solution, an ash drawer with the air inlet part of the face of the ash drawer. All the ash falls into the drawer then can be pulled and is pulled out and dumped. 

We put a lot of thought into design in the ash storage and removal.  Most other grill can't I hold much ash and there is a small retaining wall below the draft door which makes removing the ash difficult.  This is why they made the ash drawer.
Making the floor of the KK flush to the draft door makes ash removal much easier.  The glazed pot Kamados are also much smaller in size, there is no way a drawer could be used on the larger KKs.

I understand how at 80 this could be challenging but I'm guessing it was much more do-able when you got your grill in 2010.  It might just be time for you to delegate the task of cleaning out the grill to someone else. The good news is that the grills hold a lot of ash before they need to be emptied. I often just push to the rear and pack ash many times before actually emptying it out. If there is any humidity it packs pretty well.  

• Like 2

The old school heat deflector traps heat down below and gives worse performance..
KK's have plenty of thermal mass and the insulation means you don’t need a heat sink to add stability when the ambient temps change or the wind blows like the ceramic pot Kamados.  Pre-heat the grill empty, then drop in the lore grate with foil for the indirect area and drip pan on top..
https://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/10026-heat-deflectors-in-the-kk/?tab=comments#comment-121321

I think my comment got misunderstood. I was referring to the heat shield not deflectors. https://komodokamado.com/collections/32-big-bad-spare-parts/products/draft-door-heat-and-ash-shield-for-32

This is not a problem for me, so I’m just brainstorming for fun here...take it or leave it. I’m perfectly fine with how things work today too. But if this was a single part connected to the vent door and both pulled out at the same time, it would make cleaning the ash that much easier. One could even do it without removing a single grate, vacuum still works, and the old ash scraper could fit in and pull everything out without ever even opening the KK.

I’m sure there are cons as well. Likely less stability and air flow control, etc. maybe even something you’ve considered before but wasn’t anything that would work out.

I can only hope to be 80 offering challenges about improving my KK to make using it easier . Getting to 80 is one thing, cooking on a KK at 80 is impressive.

As the owner of the competitor product with a KK on order I don't really need this.  I've had my KK for about 2 years and the ash drawer already rusted/unwelded and needed replacing.  I have the spare sitting in my house with the box but I really prefer the ash tools instead.  I grab the lid of my galvanized bucket, scrape into the bucket about 2 or 3 scrapes, done and done.  The ash tray doesn't save much effort.  

If @HogBoss1 received his grill in 2010, he probably has the back "gas burner" door. If he hasn't upgraded to the threaded rods and wing nuts to hold it shut, he could pull it out and use a small fireplace poker / right angle tool to pull the ash out and into a pail under the opening. The back doesn't have the heat shield unless he has added it. I've done this a few times before I upgraded to the threaded rods / wing nuts to keep it sealed.

• Like 2

Asking Dennis to accommodate an issue focused on convenience for those whom maybe unable to work their KK as they once did is a reasonable request.  The product presented now is quite functional and easy to clean for most with a good reservoir for ash to easily to clean out using a long hose from the shop vac.  I clean out the KK every few months, having a helping hand maybe your best approach. I would find the trap door a useful temporary tool in the short run, but for a good clean the shop vac is the tool to use

• Like 1

As a user of Kamado Joe for a long time I can vouch that ash trays suck ass. They cause ash to get stuck underneath them making it very difficult to get a thorough clean. And even worse they mess with your airflow, they are just a block to high heat cooks.

First thing I’d do with an ash tray if my KK had one was throw it in the garbage. OP I hope you find a solution to your problem, I would recommend a larger heavier duty shop vac with a larger intake mouth.

• Like 1

Since we know Dennis likes to over engineer thing, I imagine he will come up with a v shaped bottom with an auger system to move the ashes out of the front of the KK. I imagine he would work some kind of gear mechanism run off of the roti motor.  Thinking some form of teak knob on the shifter that shifts from roti to augur mode. I think we would see it first on the OMG52 or possibly on the WTF102, but not on the LOL1002 as that will have the revolutionary walk in ash room with the in the wall vac system.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5