braindoc

Greetings from Rhode Island

Hello everybody.  I’m doing things a little backwards.  Instead of registering here first, asking some questions, and then buying a KK, I pulled the trigger yesterday on a 32. 

We started lusting after the KK a few weeks ago after seeing that behemoth at the Malibu vacation home the Kardashians were renting (I know, please don’t judge).  I thought a 23 would work, but my wife convinced me to go for a 32.  I contacted Dennis yesterday with a few questions about future availability, just before starting to celebrate my birthday.  Long story short, he told me about a cancelled order for a 32 in terra blue on the ship.  It wasn’t our first color choice, but after reading what others have written here we said let’s do it.  A bird in hand . . . .  Happy birthday to me.

Now for a question.  I’ve been using a large BGE for 12-13 years.  I’ve also had a Fire Magic Diamond Echelon 790 for about 6 years.  I cook with the BGE more than the gas grill.  I think the KK could and should replace both.  The KK will live under a large grill cover where the Fire Magic is sitting now.

Selling a used BGE is not unusual.  However, to my surprise after a couple of hours on the internet I could not find a single used Fire Magic grill for sale - eBay, Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, some BBQ forums.  I suppose I can simply put it on asking for my dream price and see what happens.  Does anybody have an idea about what I should ask for this?  

Thanks.

Edited by braindoc
  • Like 1

Hi Braindoc, I too ended up buying a BB32 that was a cancelled order and not my first color choice, and it is also still on the ship, bobbing around somewhere in the Pacific .  I was originally thinking 21 or 23, but most on here along with Dennis thought a 32 would be the best fit.  I'm coming from a Kamado Joe, so I'm hoping that will put me ahead of the learning curve a bit and I don't ruin too many cooks.  I've already had a lot of questions answered before I bought mine, so everyone here is quite helpful with questions, and they don't have any problems helping you spend your money either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm very excited to join this elite community!

@C6Bill - Are there many other KK owners in this part of the country?  Maybe we can set up a southern New England KK owners group.

@MacKenzie - Yes I do.  Also, hard-working and full of surprises.  She was outside with me for a couple of hours on Sunday helping to clean the Fire Magic.   When I started buying Japanese knives a couple of years ago she embraced the change and now uses nothing but.  I'm a lucky guy.  😁

• Like 4

Happy Birthday. Funny, most are in the position of asking the wife if it's affordable or too big from the 23. Glad to see you bought a cover, that you'll never regret. The extra cookers are always a wonder, if you have kids on their own, gift it to them otherwise it's craiglist ,or local area listing on the internet. For me though, I like my toys, whomever has the most when they die is the winner (BBQ wise), just a bit confused if I win, where to send the trophy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Funny, most are in the position of asking the wife if it's affordable or too big from the 23.

Let's not forget that some of the most influential posters here are women.

I talked my wife into buying my first ceramic cooker. She figured it would be an upgrade if I stopped using her ex's offset firebox.

She bought me my KK 23" Ultimate. And when I put her on the phone with Dennis she was completely charmed. @braindocare you sure your wife didn't just want to talk with Dennis?

Edited by Syzygies
Laurie wanted me to tone down my description of her conversation with Dennis.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Hey Tyrus:  I was a little confused about how you knew I bought a grill cover.  Then I realized what’s going on.  I should have been more precise in my first post.  I have a grill gazebo where I’ll place the KK.  However, you are also correct.  In fact I did buy a Sunbrella grill cover from Dennis.  BTW, I guess we are almost neighbors.  Wonder if there are any KKs in Rhode Island. 

Syzygies:  I was emailing and using whatsapp with Dennis.  As far as I know my wife did not call him.  But she has a funny look on her face right now, lol.

• Haha 5

I have not received any shipping information yet, but I assume all our grills are still on the same ship. @Forrest mentioned the cargo container was getting a physical inspection, which I assume will add some time to the schedule.  I did see Dennis has more grill covers in stock, so I plan on contacting him when I see he is online and ask about adding one to my order, maybe I'll get a shipping update at that time.

Braindoc, GrillnBrew, and C6Bill: Sounds like my 32 might be on the same boat as well.  If so, I also heard that they were going to do a physical inspection on the containers; 2 of them.  I think they released them and they showed up at the KK warehouse late last week.  So maybe our waiting will payoff with a delivery soon. 

• Like 1

Dennis sent me the tracking for the boat with my grill on it. It was unloaded on April 1st, a bad day I know... jokes on us due to the physical inspection... Haven't heard anything else since Dennis sent me the e-mail stating the physical inspection would delay shipment with no ETA... Hope to hear something soon. I know Dennis is crazy busy with the the huge spike in demand for his products. I expect KK's will become way back-ordered in the near future.