tekobo

This Little Pig...

For some reason the search function doesn’t seem to be working this week, when you go to page 2 it gives you an error but I stayed up till 1:30am watching various YouTube videos on cooking a suckling pig. Feel better but still unsure if I’m going to chop the head off and butterfly it or not, will have to see what it looks like tomorrow when I pick it up 

• Like 2

My butcher called me today and asked me how to prepare it. We had a lengthy conversation about it, I’ve known this butcher 20+ years no joke. He’s gotta cut it so I can basically spatchcock it and we discussed head on vs off. I plan to cook it on its belly, back up the first few hours then flip it and sauce/mop it a la Rodney Scott to finish it. My concern was when I flipped it and out the stomach facing up that it would not lay flat with the head on. My butcher assured me it would lay just fine with the head and that when he was cleaning it out it was laying find on it’s back/stomach up 

now the dilemma I’m facing is whether to put the rub and inject it early or just do it day of/morning of. Picking it up tomorrow cooking it early Sunday. Planning for 6-7 hours at 225. 

butcher said the pig weighs exactly 24 lbs 

went shopping today got all Ingredients but switched out the Angel food cake & strawberry desert with bread pudding & French vanilla ice cream, added a green bean dish and added a fruit salad 

10 dishes (including pig) plus 3 homemade sauces. My wife thinks I’m nuts, but I think I can pull it off 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 5

Thanks @MacKenziei plan to do the sauces Friday so they can take a long time to thicken up. Soak the beans overnight Friday night, then do the beans and Mac & cheese saturday, put them into a foil tray and cover them in the fridge 

Sunday I’ll do the hog early, then the watermelon & cucumber salad, cornbread, fruit salad, Coleslaw & bread pudding while the pig cooks.

take the pig off and while it rests heat the beans and Mac & cheese in the KK.....serve 

it all sounds easy on paper!

Edited by Troble
  • Like 3

I suspect it’s going to be great Troble.  An amazing menu!!  Sounds like a busy day....would love to see some pictures. And, I agree with Basher, a lot of really good eats to be picked off the head. Best of luck.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Troble said:

I plan to cook it on its belly, back up the first few hours then flip it and sauce/mop it a la Rodney Scott to finish it. My concern was when I flipped it and out the stomach facing up that it would not lay flat with the head on

This sounds like a level of complexity that you could leave out if you wish.  I do not know what Rodney Scott normally cooks but my guess is it may be a much bigger whole hog.  In that case he will likely have a frame for turning the hog with and the injection is worth the effort.  I think that the flesh of a suckling pig is so tender that you don't really want to be messing with it too much.  Salt and pepper or a gentle rub of your choice applied the day before and then cooked on its belly, giving the skin the chance to crisp up would be my choice. 

This sounds like a level of complexity that you could leave out if you wish.  I do not know what Rodney Scott normally cooks but my guess is it may be a much bigger whole hog.  In that case he will likely have a frame for turning the hog with and the injection is worth the effort.  I think that the flesh of a suckling pig is so tender that you don't really want to be messing with it too much.  Salt and pepper or a gentle rub of your choice applied the day before and then cooked on its belly, giving the skin the chance to crisp up would be my choice. 

Rodney Scott is famous for his whole hog BBQ.

When he mops his meat, he literally uses a mop.
I think he has about 10- 20 whole hogs going at once....... that’s a lot of meat

Troble will you be wrapping it in a hessian sack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@tekobo I appreciate your feedback but that’s my working plan as of the moment. I’m not against cooking it on its belly the entire time but my ideal cook would involve a flip and mop/baste. I won’t know if that possible until I get the pig home and see how easily I can maneuver it, I would likely have to do the flip by myself so that may not even be possible but as I sit here this morning before I’ve picked up the pig that’s the plan. Once I pick it up I plan to put it on the grill to confirm the size and see how easy it is for me to lift and maneuver it then I’ll finalize my cook plan. 

also @tekoboif you have not watched this series on Netflix yet you absolutely must. The Rodney Scott episode is my 2nd favorite after the Lennox Hastie episode. It’s truly inspiring you’d love it 

https://www.netflix.com/title/81292974?s=i&trkid=13747225&clip=81261408

@Basherno sacks will be used. Going to foil the ears and snout and take it from there 

I’m gonna pick up the little piggy in about 3 hours from now so I’ll post some pics later today 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Troble said:

also @tekoboif you have not watched this series on Netflix yet you absolutely must. The Rodney Scott episode is my 2nd favorite after the Lennox Hastie episode. It’s truly inspiring you’d love it 

https://www.netflix.com/title/81292974?s=i&trkid=13747225&clip=81261408

Aha! Yes, I have watched the series, I just didn't remember Rodney's name.  I really enjoyed it, thanks for the reminder.

Yes, of course I wasn't expecting you to take my "feedback" as gospel.   I just wondered about the difference in the type and size of animal that Rodney is dealing with when compared to yours and the tools he has when he comes to turn his cooks.  I'll make a point of watching it with my pork chop dinner tonight.  Yum.   

• Like 2

Picked her up. 24 lbs. fits in the KK perfectly. Going to try my method of starting on stomach and then flipping to finish and baste but we’ll se how it goes. Also need to pop the eyeballs out before cooking 😀

Very happy that it fits in my fridge as well

36BCDCF9-9DDF-46D0-ADDD-1386A0A03836.jpeg

3D1B3825-21FD-4D84-BE1D-2AF8B19FB962.jpeg

EAF4FE89-496B-4A0F-8D8C-391E2CA99A97.jpeg

3937F1A0-0802-48E3-843B-5F890302B047.jpeg

EA647252-DA15-424A-8B82-73A4DE3FDB73.jpeg

1915C9C9-14F5-4381-887A-FA5E9ABF849D.jpeg

F763A2DA-C6EB-4039-8E92-12CDC83C2B7F.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 7

Picked her up. 24 lbs. fits in the KK perfectly. Going to try my method of starting on stomach and then flipping to go shopping but we’ll se how it goes. Also need to pop the eyeballs out before cooking
Very happy that it fits in my fridge as well

Let the games begin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

I’m too excited so I decided to make my BBQ sauces today. Not really sure on quantity so I ended up making a lot. Then the wife told me she threw out all the tops to my mason jars because “we didn’t use them and we only use those jars for decoration” so had to improvise with a little press n seal 

on the left is “Rodney Sauce” from Rodney Scott’s cookbook. It consists of white vinegar, lemon, red pepper flake, cayenne pepper, black pepper and brown sugar essentially. It’s pretty spicy and is gonna be labeled as “spicy sauce”

In the middle I have Aaron Franklins Vinegar sauce which is white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, cayenne pepper, paprika, black pepper & white sugar. This is going to be labeled “mild sauce”

on the right is @Syzygies Bourbon BBQ sauce that consults of onions, butter, vegetable oil, bourbon, ketchup, orange juice, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, maras pepper (which I substituted paprika for), maple syrup, molasses (which I subbed for brown sugar) & Worcester sauce, I also added a decent amount of salt and a couple extra dashes of paprika and cayenne. This sauce will be labeled “sweet sauce”

9F354DFB-72F1-4C99-998C-F7360DC6C5C0.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 5