tekobo

This Little Pig...

Ok, so the KK is loaded up with coco char and some peach wood. I’ll be starting the fire at 4:30 tomorrow morning and be putting the piggy in at 8. As there are going to be thunderstorms off and on all day I’m going to cook it flat instead of in the torture chamber. Looking for 300 degrees for 3.5 hours and an hours rest so BBQ Sundae’s should be served between 12:30 and 1. From what I have read here I will stay with skin up until I want to sauce and then flip it back over after saucing the meat side. Wish me luck !!!!!

Edited by C6Bill
  • Like 5

Ok, that little piggy was absolutely delicious !!! Well worth the expense in my humble opinion, while it isn't something i'd do on a weekly basis it is something i will be doing a couple times a year. Anyways the only issue i had was i did not  get the skin crispy. I should have cranked the heat for the last 30 minutes but was busy with a few things in the house. And the  BBQ Sundae was made up of a Slice of sourdough, baked beans with bacon, then the pork and a little BBQ sauce and then topped with apple cherry coleslaw. Then serve with pickles, Fritos and some cranberry sauce on the side. And of course ice cream cake, can't have a retirement party without ice cream cake.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread, it made it really easy to have a successful cook :) And thanks to Dennis, the temp control on the KK is so easy, I set that thing at 300 and walked away for 2 hours, it never flinched !!!!

IMG_2521.thumb.jpeg.fc590abdc385336e87d4ccbbd90b46a6.jpeg0E649EA0-4B79-4496-B2FD-8B0FF66D0A2D.thumb.jpeg.e4e92b8c732192570828f6c0d6b2deca.jpegIMG_2523.thumb.jpeg.34b5521ab4835fbd7380f31a9967f60e.jpegIMG_2535.thumb.jpeg.0db5e75ac55a1785611c27f358b12458.jpegIMG_2519.thumb.jpeg.ec202ee33539d69d7b4c20f3535360d9.jpeg82D0F960-ACF3-4186-9CDD-FC2CA8561E22.thumb.jpeg.c6865a34bc633045ffa8cbecf0c565cc.jpeg

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I don't know which I like better the pork or the cake. :smt046 You are off to a great start. :drinkers::smt041  

Everything was great, absolutely everything 😁 The cake was Strawberry cheesecake ice cream on top with death by chocolate below and the middle was crumbled Oriole cookies with whipped cream frosting. It is really good 👍 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, C6Bill said:

And the  BBQ Sundae was made up of a Slice of sourdough, baked beans with bacon, then the pork and a little BBQ sauce and then topped with apple cherry coleslaw.

What a great invention!  Sounds like you had a great time and I loved the pic of your dog, peering round your arm hopefully.  I look forward to attaining that hallowed retirement status - one day.

10 hours ago, C6Bill said:

Anyways the only issue i had was i did not  get the skin crispy. I should have cranked the heat for the last 30 minutes but was busy with a few things in the house.

I am not totally sure what the key to crispy skin is.  I cooked  my at just a slightly higher temp than you (you were at 300F and I was at 180C=150F).  When the piggy came out of the KK the skin was not particularly crispy but it attained a very satisfying crunch by the time we came to cut through it.  I rested it for just under an hour with no cover over the top.

7 hours ago, Troble said:

@tekobo sorry I’m late to this thread, but great job on your cook. Very impressive. Also kudos for learning from previous attempt and nailing it. We’ll done 

Thanks @Troble, we keep on keeping on learning....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tekobo said:

What a great invention!  Sounds like you had a great time and I loved the pic of your dog, peering round your arm hopefully.  I look forward to attaining that hallowed retirement status - one day.

I am not totally sure what the key to crispy skin is.  I cooked  my at just a slightly higher temp than you (you were at 300F and I was at 180C=150F).  When the piggy came out of the KK the skin was not particularly crispy but it attained a very satisfying crunch by the time we came to cut through it.  I rested it for just under an hour with no cover over the top.

Thanks @Troble, we keep on keeping on learning....

I highly recommend the BBQ Sundae, I think it would work well with just about anything you can cook in the KK 😁

And I think next time I will treat it like a reverse sear. I’ll take the piggy out for a quick rest and remove drip pan, bring the temp up to 500 and go back in for a few minutes skin down with direct heat. The skin that was crispy around the neck was really tasty. 

Then we dropped off the hams with all the fixings for a friend and my sister and her husband, they lost his mother Wednesday night (94 years young) she was a wonderful woman. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Congratulations on the retirement!  

I thought I was being bold cooking a brisket for one of my first cooks, but you took it to a whole different level with that pig!  Great looking cook and I like the idea of the sundae.  One of the BBQ food trucks near me does a BBQ sundae with pulled pork on the bottom, then slaw, baked beans and repeats so there are two layers.  They top with a hush puppy and some cracklin' and it's served in a plastic mason jar.  Yours looks delicious and probably a lot easier to eat in a bowl!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, GrillnBrew said:

Congratulations on the retirement!  

I thought I was being bold cooking a brisket for one of my first cooks, but you took it to a whole different level with that pig! 

Thanks and pork is easy, brisket is in fact bold. Pork is way more forgiving 😂 

Anyone have pictures of how big of a pig you can get into a 42" and a finished product?  Dennis called me yesterday and he had a cancelled order for a 42 in the same matte black pebble as my 32 order and I took the plunge.  It'll be on the way soon.  I was just dreaming of calling a neighbor of mine and organizing a little pig roast for Halloween.

Main thing I need really is advice on what size of a pig to get for the 42.  But - I love pictures.  

Edited by johnnymnemonic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johnnymnemonic said:

Anyone have pictures of how big of a pig you can get into a 42" and a finished product?  Dennis called me yesterday and he had a cancelled order for a 42 in the same matte black pebble as my 32 order and I took the plunge.  It'll be on the way soon.  I was just dreaming of calling a neighbor of mine and organizing a little pig roast for Halloween.

Main thing I need really is advice on what size of a pig to get for the 42.  But - I love pictures.  

Woo hoo!  You catch me coming off Dennis' website and telling myself that I really do not need a 42.  Happy for you.  Sorry, no pictures of pigs in a 42 but looking forward to seeing yours!

• Haha 1