1AL6

New KK on order

Hello from Washington,

First of all, thanks to everyone on this forum - I’ve learned a lot of good info on here already. 

A couple weeks ago I took the plunge and ordered a 23” Ultimate in Terra Blue that has an “ETA end of April”.  I’m very excited but have since found myself stuck in the question, should I have ordered a 32 instead?  I’ve read what I could find on here (I see many others have had this same question) including Dennis’ stock statement about the comparison between the 23 and 32.  For me I’ll be cooking for 3 people 99% of the time.  And 6-8 people a few times a year.  I’ll do plenty of low and slow type cooks.  But I definitely do a fair amount of reverse searing and would like to make sure I’m setting myself up for success.  

So the questions: can you really manage a 2-zone setup with this cooker?  Or should I plan to use something like a guru to quickly crank up the heat when it’s time to sear?  Is the charcoal basket splitter the way to go?  I keep looking at the pics of the 32 with half upper grate for indirect and lower grate near coals for searing, and thinking I need that in my life.  I’m over thinking this.  I know.   

Also, what exactly does “ETA end of April” mean when you factor in port and ground shipping times?  I assume it’s realistically at my door end of May?

Thanks for entertaining the new guy questions.

Respectfully,

-Kevin

• Like 1

I have the 21” Supreme and reverse searing works just fine if you get the meat slowly up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit, rest it while opening all the vents and the lid (optional) to get a roaring sear ready in minutes.  I find that people slow cook too long and go too hot (120) and then getting a crusty steal-house char makes it too well done.  This works just fine.  I have the BBQ Guru and all that messy paraphernalia, and use it for low and slow, but not for a reverse sear.  You might watch Steven Raichlen’s YouTube on the subject.  That gave me the confidence I needed.  Dan

• Like 1

I have both the 23 and the 32, and there are only 2 of us most of the time. If I could have only one, it would be the 32 hands down. Mine is in the two zone configuration most of the time with the half grate on the indirect side. Perfect for day-to-day grilling without juggling grates, using a blower, etc. And easily adapts to larger capacity. The 23 is also a great (grate?) grill. Head and shoulders above everything else...except the 32.

• Like 1

Welcome Kevin.  I had the same questions and am coming from a Kamado Joe Classic which is 18", and was considering the 23".  Dennis and several members on here convinced me that with the half grate and the new and improved basket splitter, I could have the best of both worlds with the 32, so I went that way.  Apparently one KK is not enough, so you can always get a BB32 for your next one.

• Like 1

I have cooked for up to 60 people at one time. I have a 19.5" and a 23".
planning and coordination = successfully pulling it off.
If you go w/ the 23" definitely get the half grate, and if it out of stock order an extra main grate and make one yourself.

Commanded my half grate 2 weeks ago and received it shortly after, so should be available

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Congrats on the decision to invest 1AL6.
I have the 23” and can easily cook for 10 or more.
Reverse searing is no problem.
I rarely use the basket splitter and often use the half grate- it’s. great warming grate.
Here is how it looks. It’s easy enough to place some foil over half the lower grate to make the split grate an indirect zone.
dd471f3f895847a4c2f8c368f1700d3b.jpg

Others here have two baskets- 1 permanently in a split configuration and the other as a full basket.
Maybe I would use the basket splitter more if I had 2 baskets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Basher, do those fruits give off tasty smoke when they hit the coals?

Not so much Forrest. I sometimes throw the lemon on near the end to be squeezed over a salad. It also breaks down the fat if the meat is not so lean.
The direct heat liquifies the lemon and caramelises the sugars in the lemon.

I agree with what everyone has said.  The 23 is really good and can do a lot and the only thing that is better than the 23 (and is realistic for most people) is the 32.  On balance, having owned a 16, 21, 23 and 32 I would agree with @Pequod that if I only had to have one I would go with the 32 every day of the week.  

That said, the half grate in the 23 is a great innovation.  @Basher, you could try using the basket splitter as your default and only using the whole basket when you really need it.  I think that this is a great solution for all sorts of situations, even when using the rotisserie.  When I was thinking about how to cook my suckling pig, Dennis said that the lengthwise basket split helps to avoid flare ups if you if you have the "down" side of your rotation above the cold side and the "up" side above the coals.  I have not tried this but I plan to do so in my 23, noting that there is no lengthwise basket splitter with the 32. 

• Like 2

While I haven't had a chance to use a KK yet, I had to make a size choice when I ordered mine and went for the bigger of the two. You can always use a bigger grill smaller but you can't use a smaller grill bigger. With the basket splitter the 32" can be used for quick/small cooks but you still have the space for the 'bigger' 32" cooks while there may be times you just don't have enough room on a 23". 

• Like 3

My Stock Text-expander answer..

The 32" is more of a grill that smokes and the 23" is a smoker that can grill.

If you want to smoke/cook low and slow, brisket, butts and ribs..  the 23" Ultimate has great capacity.. it can do 5-7 pork butts / 50-60lbs of meat. More than most residences will ever need.

If you want to "Grill" for a 6 or more the 23" is limited by its size. You just can't throw on 6-8 steaks at once...

The 32" and 42" are full size grills, I define a full size as 22" front to back.  Full size gas grills start at 32 " and run into the low 60's.  32" is the smallest full size gas grill.  They have more low and slow capacity than most will ever need. The 32" is no slower nor does it use noticeably more fuel.  There is a charcoal basket splitter/reducer that lets you do small cooks using only a portion of the charcoal basket.

That being said, if you want to work a bit you could reverse sear 6-8 steaks and then brown them up three at a time on a 23".
Gets the job done, but that being said, the smallest full size gas grill is a 32".. the 30" is no longer 22" front to rear.

• Like 1

Well. It arrived. This thing is amazing. That’s not news to anyone on this forum though.  I do have a question: what am I doing wrong with this rotisserie? The drive shaft for the motor appears to be too long to allow me to get the bracket together.  I’m sure I’m doing something wrong here. Thanks for the help. 

4B31D74B-0E7A-4903-A4CA-8037B7CBCC3D.jpeg