CeramicTool

Hi from Calgary, AB. Home of good cows.

I am a meat enthusiast, and my journey has brought me here. One time, I wondered how to cook the perfect steak, while around about the same time trashing anyone that likes to get up at 6am to light a BBQ. No one ever gave me a convincing argument for why charcoal was worth the hassle, and they obviously weren't that good a cook, or didn't cook for me. Well, eventually I got serious about the perfect steak and owned 7 Webers and a Napoleon 2 years ago, and that's when I started to see the shortcomings of gas/propane cooking (it only gets to 500, there is little mass to sustain that temp, moisture issues, wind issues, flare ups, cold spots/warm spots, etc etc)

So I bought a Broil King Keg off Kijiji for $70Cdn. It was rusted through on the bottom by the door, but I was too stupid to know how to use charcoal anyway, so I just thought the proper way was to put the proper amount of charcoal in the Keg. And it worked pretty good until I tried to do a packer brisket.... lol. Disaster. Yet everyone loved it. That's when I knew everyone is an idiot, and that Charcoal is heads and tails above gas.

The rest is history and I ended up with a Big Joe.

Recently I heard about Komodo Kamado, and I've been trowlling the forums. I must say, its one of those things that, once heard about, one finds a way to acquire.

As an adhd perfectionist, Im happy to be here hanging with the big boys. Other Forums seem to be full of novices and semi-informed people (Just like real life!)

I do pretty good with my Kamado, its really not a hard thing to do with a proper understanding and game plan. Which always then amazes me the mediocre stuff some people manage to cook.

I'm here to take my cooking to the next level, and am aiming at owning a KK in 12-18 months.

Or sooner if anyone between Winnipeg and Vancouver wants to upgrade to a newer, bigger, better grill ;) (contact me!)

• Like 3

Ceramic my wife and I have fond memories of Calgary in a former life as Carnies.
The Calgary stampede was on the early bucket list we ticked off in 1997 after Klondike Days in Edmonton. Also Toon Town and Buffalo Days in Regina.
Smoked turkey legs in a massive off set stick burner was one of our Carnie products along with beaver tails and fairy floss.

BTW, don’t be fooled into thinking we are all wizards when cooking on Kamado. Many of us are still very new to this style of cooking.
In saying this, there are plenty of very experienced heads here as well.
No doubt this forum makes us all better cooks on the KK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The beauty of this Forum is how readily folks share their experiences and recipes and willingness to help others. I'm constantly learning new things about cooking from these amazing folks!!  You will, too! Save up those nickels and dimes, you'll have that KK before you know it!

• Like 2

What Tony said!! The techniques are similar across cookers so if it takes two years, you have two years of cooking knowledge to drop on the KK.

While I'm just a commoner in Ontario with no affiliation to Alberta or the beef industry, we can still kick it

Here's a few of tonight's 80 day dry aged Kansas strips cut at 2". I like to think I'm slightly better informed than average lol19fe8909e987259451b7316a6ac32717.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

• Like 5