Basher

Lennox Hastie masterclass

Yes Troble,
My link hadn’t posted across.
It’s interesting how intimate he is with fire and very different techniques with different cuts.
My mates have ordered me one of these today.
1514a05ce4643c7891e5b49f93ac8120.jpg

Except it’s on a trolley with a few Tailored variations.
Can’t wait to test it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I haven’t watched that link yet. Will try to get to it today but congrats on that grill. I want something like that but not sure I’ve got space (translation - the OK from the Mrs)

I think I’ve made the joke before that if I wasn’t married with kids and was going and single I’d be stalking Lennox at his restaurant and figuring out how I could work in that kitchen. He is truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing I hadn’t seen or heard of that and I’m super excited to watch it when I get some time to focus on it 

Edited by Troble
  • Haha 1

I haven’t watched that link yet. Will try to get to it today but congrats on that grill. I want something like that but not sure I’ve got space (translation - the OK from the Mrs)
I think I’ve made the joke before that if I wasn’t married with kids and was going and single I’d be stalking Lennox at his restaurant and figuring out how I could work in that kitchen. He is truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing I hadn’t seen or heard of that and I’m super excited to watch it when I get done tons to focus on it 

That’s why my mates are buying it for me....... I turn 50 this year.
I get to buy them one back next year.
Lennox restaurant is booked out 8 months in advance so you will have to plan ahead.

Congrats on the most I’ve birthday. When’s the big day? 

thanks for the tip about the restaurant, fortunately for me I am a crazy OCD travel planner and my specialty is booking awesome things 1 year+ out. I definitely won’t be traveling a trip to AU unless it’s a year out and I’ll 100% be going to his restaurant. Dare I say Basher that we shall likely have to meet at said event.

One of my best friends (who’s from Sydney) just moved out to the country there and bought some land with his mum. I’m not even sure what town it is but his Instagram pictures say “south gundurima”. I’ve promised him and my kids I’ll take them down there at some point but not for a few years when the kids can manage the long flight

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1

Hey [mention=3378]Basher[/mention].  That sounds like a very happy birthday in prospect.  What variations are you going to have?

V grates to channel drippings into a tray, full length grill with no dedicated brasier, 1/3 pit size mild steel fire rack to allow circulation under starting fire( removable), spit rotisserie attachable to cradle, a solid grill plate to sit over fire pit not the cradle, stainless ball handle on the wheel, stainless sheet sides and rear of stand, grate hooks on stand legs, maybe a shelf in the stand. And a snake skin cover.
7b0bacb65ccc295d6b014509f9d538f5.jpg
To match the King Brown KK.
Do you have any other suggestions Tekobo?

Yes Tony, when looking through the Overton window, an old man to others.

• Haha 1

Oooh.  I am glad I asked.  Those all sound like great additions.  I start my fire separately but the rack to allow circulation under the fire sounds like a good option.  Nothing to add. You have already selected the upgrade that I think is absolutely essential - the V grates with fat collector tray.  They are great.  The fat that collects makes you realise how much would have dripped onto your fire, tainting your food with the smell.  

Ah, what just occurred to me is the option to split your grill and have two halves that can be raised and lowered independently.  That option would allow you to cook stuff at different temps at the same time.  I don't have that and sometimes think it would be useful. 

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 2

@Basher, pretty much as soon as I posted the above message I realised that I was forgetting to say that moving the coals around under the grills does allow you to vary the temperature for different parts of your grill, thus negating the need to have independently rising halves. 

I also went along to the OxGrills website and was reminded of their GridIron grid bed option.  It was too expensive when I first bought my grill but may be cheaper now that they seem to be marketing it more generally on their site.  If I end up buying one it will be your fault.  

• Haha 1

Tekobo Ive been looking for a Parilla for about a year and couldn’t see value in any products here.
A local butcher put me onto a local young guy who is an extremely good metal worker and proud of what he can do with stainless steel. He is also a mad keen BBQer who has been building Parilla grills from under his house part time for some mates and through word of mouth for others.
He is at a transition point of moving into a small workshop and is super keen to build up his brand with a reputation for quality bbqs. He’s very passionate about his BBQ and has explored plenty of designs.
I thought about split grills and decided it will add significantly to the cost when as you said, I can shuffle the embers around for heat variations.
The front door cavity is packed out with insulation wool so it won’t scorch me if I lean on it. The refractive bricks are ordered from a forge maker in Sydney even though there are local products.
I’ll post some build pics.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Basher said:

A local butcher put me onto a local young guy who is an extremely good metal worker and proud of what he can do with stainless steel. He is also a mad keen BBQer who has been building Parilla grills from under his house part time for some mates and through word of mouth for others.
He is at a transition point of moving into a small workshop and is super keen to build up his brand with a reputation for quality bbqs. He’s very passionate about his BBQ and has explored plenty of designs.
I thought about split grills and decided it will add significantly to the cost when as you said, I can shuffle the embers around for heat variations.

I am now even more excited by your new acquisition.  The thought of helping a young man promote his new business is great.  That, and getting a bespoke job done that will delight you for a long time is what it is all about.  I look forward to seeing your build pics.  The main reason I did not go for a split grill was because I wanted the uninterrupted grilling real estate.  I think this will work really well alongside your 23.  Hurrah!

• Like 2

Basher , your definitely going to need a load of wood with that cooker something that will share the flavor of the smoke with your food.  If wood is plentiful there as it is for me here you'll find it helps with keeping down the amount of coal you are using.  Although you can burn briquettes and lump the addition of wood with the flame licking the bottom side is a must because of it's aromatic nature and as a tool for a more diverse cook. Don't forget to buy yourself a chimney to start up your coals preferably a large one for laying out and spreading coals in a isolated area if your not using the whole grill or just starting up the pit, it's very convienent.  I like the bottom grate allowing air to enter beneath the fire and having SS with refractory eliminates the worry of rust.  A nice unit, one you will find entertaining for you and your guests...best wishes 

• Like 2

Thank you Tyrus.
I can fill up a Ute with split iron bark for about $20 so wood is pretty accessible. It’s just another job and I’m not yet sure how much I’ll be going through.
There’ll be a few lessons for me to learn as there was with the KK.
I’ll keep the chimney in mind if I struggle with the fire.

• Like 1