Jose Prieto

Basket splitter/half grate config

I see that the splitter SS covers and the half grate go on opposite sides of the grill. Wouldn't it be better if they were on the same side?? That would create a great way of cooking indirect on the half grate and then just take down your meat for searing to the lower grate without having to take anything out of the grill.

• Like 1

I’m not totally sure what you are talking about but I suspect you are talking about the half grate in the 32.  If that is the case then I think I do what you have described by flipping the half grate over and having it on the right hand side of the grill when I want to be able to step down to the lower grate with the basket splitter in place.  That said, @BOC opened my eyes to the fact that I don’t have to use the splitter at all and can simply pile my char where I want it.  That makes things even more flexible.  Sorry if I am not answering the right question but some pics to illustrate the problem would help. 

This is the config with the half grate flipped over and used on the right hand side of my 32.  I too would like some advice from others as to how they do the step down with the basket splitter in place, if it is different to what I have illustrated here.

6BFE3E61-86D3-408A-99BF-0D775AD22924.thumb.jpeg.d382a43e988b5148662f7a531accf81a.jpeg

2 minutes ago, DennisLinkletter said:

The half grate is built to sit on the left side over the direct heat.. If you are a lefty, you can also use it flipped over on the right. the 1/4" frame would be on top but does not effect cooking..

You can cook indirect over the splitter on the lower grate also..

Dennis, you posted this just as I was finishing my post above. Glad to hear the flipping the half grate is “approved”.  Also helpful to be reminded that I could just go indirect on the lower grate over the splitter.  

• Like 1

I agree with the OP, 1/2 grate for me is best used for indirect. I make it work with my 21” Supreme at least I can configure it for two zone cooking using the 1/2 grate indirectly. I just have to use the basket splitter in a way it was not intended.
502b6817371f1857d34e502242e7f48b.jpg
aeb88a164ae6548917a09509a8a84da0.jpg
8d60aecd58882691c04b75f55710518e.jpg
4539ef9da7226804ff948e7d96a85e60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This is exactly what I've been wondering, with the KK only days away. I guess the only painful/ messy bit is deciding which way to set up the splitter, as grates pop in and out with minimal fuss...

So, right hand coals with more natural fit of the half grate for indirect ( vsmore arm over coals as I'm right handed), vs left hand coals and Tekobo's reversed half grate....hmmmm.

2 hours ago, remi said:

This is exactly what I've been wondering, with the KK only days away. I guess the only painful/ messy bit is deciding which way to set up the splitter, as grates pop in and out with minimal fuss...

So, right hand coals with more natural fit of the half grate for indirect ( vsmore arm over coals as I'm right handed), vs left hand coals and Tekobo's reversed half grate....hmmmm.

You are going to enjoy just playing around with your KK when it arrives.  The fun thing is that nothing ever has to stay the same and there is lots to learn and change to suit what you want to do.  My preconception, having had a 23 and a 21 originally, was that I had to use the splitter to achieve two zone cooking.  Now that I have a 32, and with @BOC's advice, I realise that the fire basket is infinitely "configurable": simply by moving the coals around to just where I want them.  There is enough space in the 32's base to create separation without using the splitter if I want that extra flexibility.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Forrest said:

I just have to use the basket splitter in a way it was not intended.

I hope that you do realize that the basket is round in a 21" (and in the 23") and you can position the direct/indirect sides anywhere that you want in the "approved configuration" of the splitter and cover?

• Like 2

While I agree with Tony in principle, in this case Forrest's 21" KK basket (and firebox) appear to have a squared-off rear, so it may only fit in one way. On my 23" KK, both my baskets were "generally" round, but I had to persuade the basket I use with the splitter into a bit more perfect roundness with a 4 pound hand sledge so it now fits into the firebox in all directions. YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, tony b said:

I hope that you do realize that the basket is round in a 21" (and in the 23") and you can position the direct/indirect sides anywhere that you want in the "approved configuration" of the splitter and cover?

Not on my 21, the basket is squared off and only goes into the Kamado in one direction and the basket splitter only divides side to side unless you use it like I have it in a non-intended configuration.

• Like 1

splitter.thumb.jpeg.50b4f1a1d709bd383b4bddedf851efd4.jpeg

chermoula.thumb.png.e743d6ec0faea354d3fd2da6a8f28835.png

Weber Large Grilling Basket

"Baked" fish with charmoula sauce is a perfect application for a KK with the basket splitter. Show is a whole red snapper, with some identifying features trimmed for wife acceptance, marinaded baked and sauced with a half recipe of green charmoula.

An olive oil marinade will flare up in any direct setup, such as my favored Solo Stove for quick grilling. This depresses me. It reminds me of "Weber" chicken that tastes mostly of burned fat. Worse, if I'm asked to do the grilling as a guest, but the flareups can't be avoided.

Here, one gets charcoal grilled flavor while baking indirect, with no flareups.

To be fair, bad cooks burn their food, good cooks live in fear of burning their food, and great cooks walk up to that edge. I've seen French cooking accounts where one wants to reduce but not eliminate flareups. Still, what I've done here is a compromise I can accept. With the KK I can phone in better food than I can afford at a restaurant.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 3

On 6/4/2021 at 4:59 AM, tekobo said:

That said, @BOC opened my eyes to the fact that I don’t have to use the splitter at all and can simply pile my char where I want it.  

Actually you do need the splitter because airflow will always take the path of least resistance.. The air will simply go thru the open area with no charcoal.. this reduces the responsiveness of the controls also.. Ideally you want all the air leaving the damper top to be forced thru the charcoal. This way minor changes actually affect the volume of charcoal you are burning and the temp.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3