BlueRidgeBBQGuy

First cook on my 32!

10 year egg user.. Cooking some beef ribs tonight, for panther hockey game.

Need to get this guy to 225, for sure am a bit confused about how to do this!

I have basket splitter set up for 1/4 size.   There are really small beef ribs, always shocked how fast they cook. They are the small ones from Snake River Farms.

Then I have the "middle grate" on, and I have the drip pan on the side away from the coals.

I plan to put he ribs on the right side of the girl so they will be away from the direct heat.

I'm coming from an EGG, I've heard Dennis say don't need place setter, and this drip pan will do the trick? 

Do I wrap the drip pan in foil?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

IMG_4280.jpeg

IMG_4281.jpeg

Edited by ImmersionFD
  • Like 2

You're on the right path on your setup for indirect. Yes, you do NOT need a "plate setter" aka - heat deflector in a KK. Wasted charcoal to heat up more material. 

I'd only wrap the drip pan in foil if you want to keep it looking pristine. Mine looks like crap after all these years, but I don't really care. 

I don't have a 32" (mine's a 23"), so I can't help with the exact vent settings to get you to 225F, but it's likely going to be very closed down - just off the seat. On mine, it's when I just barely see smoke coming out the top vent. Bottom vent doesn't matter much, just as long as it's open to keep the fire going - 1/4 open on the left dial or one of the medium holes on the right dial. 

Good luck & post pics of your cook!

Edited by tony b
  • Like 3

Disclaimer* I’m still in the early stages of my vent settings…but once I hit 225, to keep it I do about an eighth - a quarter turn on the top hat and use the middle size circle hole on the right vent for 225-250. Outside temp does matter in my case, ergo the 1/8-1/4 top hat depending. If I open the bottom any more than that, it always seems to climb above 225.

That said, I always open the left vent on full while trying to reach temp to get it there faster. I have no idea how long it would take if you tried starting with such little airflow, but I’m betting you wouldn’t want to wait that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk