dugtrue

Question on temps

First of all, new here so be kind, I am a Weber guy from way back. I am currently using a modified WSM for my smoking needs and old platinum gassers I rebuilt for the grilling. Looking for the single solution.
As I have been researching these Komodo kamados I had a question.  I monitor the temps at my grate levels in the WSM and they are about a 30 degree diff from my modified top grate to my very bottom grate in there.  
In the KK I noticed the probe point is at the top grate level but would it be needed or possible to add ports at the other grate levels and just leave the plugs in if not required for the cook? 

all opinions welcomed….

on a side note-  I’m working my wife over now to get approval….. started showing her the two big boys and their price tags, let it sink in I really want one, then said well we could probably “save” some money if we just got the 23” she didn’t say no like the first two, -so that’s a start😉

• Like 1

The KK is so well insulated, and so efficient, that once it’s heat soaked, at least at lower temperatures, there will be little difference in temperatures in various parts of the grill. I use a guru controller, and regularly the guru and the dome gauge are in sync. Either way, just be consistent..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good strategy. Hope you're able to convince her. You'll be much happier with the KK than anything that you're cooking on now. 

The KK has a side port for running additional temperature probes through. It's at the main grate level. Hope this answers your concern?

I used Weber Smokey Mountain cookers for over 30 years before getting my first KK. I kept my two WSMs, thinking I would use them as extra space. After using the KK for a couple of years, and not using the Weber's, I gave them both away. They are fine for what they are and I made some very good food on them, but for me there was no going back after the KK experience. 

Edited by jonj
clarity
  • Like 3

Thanks Jonj. I haven’t been smoking near as long , but have had very good results in the wsm. 
I have enjoyed all of my Weber gassers (my current one is a 2005 platinum summit rebuilt it to new last year) but now as I used the  wsm more and more I really got to notice the difference between gas and charcoal flavors so I had started researching the Kamado styles….  We were moving towards the primo, then saw the KK… well as they say “game over man” so now I work to see how to budget for this new obsession and getting the boss on board 😉

• Like 3

I bought a brand new Meco Swinger II after I got the KK, thinking I would use it for "little cooks" like quick grilling. And because it has a nostalgic feeling, it's the kind of grill most everyone had growing up for summer nights in the backyard. Well, as much as I appreciate the nostalgia and aesthetic of it, I never use it. I keep wanting a Primo just to have a piece of American made Kamado goodness, but I can't pull the trigger, I don't need it. The KK fulfills all. Gas? Nah...