BigO

New You Tube Video on Venting

Hello fellow KK fans.

I was going to publish a simple first burn in video showing the process I used to cure my 32" KK. Dennis and I touched base to make sure I had the latest information and to avoid some of the mis-information on You Tube about the KK. So after an hour long conversation, I had a couple of pages of notes and realized, this is more complicated than I realized.

At the end of the day, the headline is, this is no big deal. ALL Kamados vent, this is the story specific to the KK.

That said, I know we have lots of new owners coming into the obsession, this is helpful info. Thanks Dennis for taking the time to share this latest info. As always, happy to take comments to make sure I have the best info available. Please like, share, and comment. I'd like to grow the channel as a place to get helpful KK info. 

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, PVPAUL said:

I guess I’m confused on whether newer KK’s even need a burn in due the changing of materials Dennis is using to build KK’s now. It would be great to get clarification on this.

My understanding is even if one is new, it is still a good idea to do a burn in just to make 10000% sure everything is set and vented. I've got a 42" coming (hopefully this week as long as the shipping company can set an appointment) and even though it is part of the newest of the new batch I'll still be doing a burn in just in case.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, PVPAUL said:

I guess I’m confused on whether newer KK’s even need a burn in due the changing of materials Dennis is using to build KK’s now. It would be great to get clarification on this.

Hi PVPAUL, Sharp looking grill in your profile pic! My girlfriend is from Appleton!.

Okay, to your Question. The quick answer is YES. As you heard in the video, I did have a good long conversation with Dennis to get the latest information out to owners. Yes, Dennis does cure the refractory cement body to achieve a ~5% humidity level in the cement. As I mentioned, this is accomplished with kiln drying and weighing of materials before and after to quantify the moisture level. With all that, even in the latest grills, as I mentioned in the video, the humidity in the air can be absorbed by a grill, especially if the inside has not been "sealed" with the soot and residue from cooking in the grill. Recall the example I shared of the grill top and the spring. This is an example Dennis shared with me.

I also mentioned that 2 things need to vent, even int he latest grills: Humidity and solvent in the acrylic jacket. Dennis now wraps the grills in plastic to reduce the humidity exposure during transit.

• Like 2

Oscar, thank you very much for the clarification and the great Videos. 

I didn’t have a chance to watch your video before my initial response to this thread. I’ve now watched both and am finding this information very helpful.

I plan on subscribing to your YouTube channel.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

I heated the KK back up again today and regrouted the vent holes.  The video says "it's a bit scary" - Yes a bit scary when you just leave it looking crusty.  At first I thought I was doing something wrong, then went back and watched the video again - nope - wipe off all that excess stuff the next day and leave it a little crusty.  OK!  Trusting in the process......

The other thing I recognized is - you can't hurt this thing.  OK it may look a little weird with the grout patch on it right now - but - that jacket is now back to 100% waterproof - that's the main thing.  I can worry about how it looks when it cools off.

@BigO or anyone else who may be reading.  When you say "wipe it off" - what is the best way to get the excess grout off?

Edited by johnnymnemonic

5 hours ago, johnnymnemonic said:

I heated the KK back up again today and regrouted the vent holes.  The video says "it's a bit scary" - Yes a bit scary when you just leave it looking crusty. 

The secret here is to use VERY LITTLE.. LESS IS MORE in this case.. and when it's half dried clean it up to look like you want it.. MUCH  easier than trying to achieve the same look after it's dried.. remember the holes you are filling are the size off a needle. 
A grain of rice volume is more than enough.. To hide any calcium/white deposits mix a drop of water to a kidney bean volume of grout and use this as paint to cover the white residue that is in tiny holes in the material which makes it impossible to wipe off..

• Like 1

Yep it was very difficult.  I had put too much grout and let it dry.  Took me about 2 hours straight of scrubbing with the scotch brite on the 7 or 8 places where I had put grout to get it all off the tiles.  All the scrubbing made the grout look lighter in color - but after wiping everything down though, it looks pretty much like new.  So - just a little sweat and it's all good.  Lesson learned.

I will be honest, after all this initial work I have a twinge of buyer's remorse. I know I'm going to love this thing once I spend a few more cooks with it, but right now, I'm spent.  User error.  I accept that it's my fault.  but - don't make the same mistake.  USE A VERY VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF GROUT PATCH.  Maybe apply it with a q-tip or something.

I'm sure with the humid weather we have here in georgia I'll be doing it again one day, but I will not forget this lesson!

Don't get discouraged this early in the game, johnnymnemonic, you're still in the learning stages. You'll soon forget about all this when you concentrate on cooking and not the tiny bit of time breaking it in. I live in Louisiana and I only did this procedure once with my 21".  It's extremely humid here. I used a toothpick to apply the grout.  You know the correct procedure now so you'll never have this problem again. My problem...when I had the Green Egg and the Kamado Joe was that I couldn't get smoky meat flavor. That problem vanished with the Komodo Kamado.  I know you mentioned this once before. It's a learning process and I believe you'll have it licked before Christmas. 

• Like 2

I'm not really all that discouraged.  I was a little pissed yesterday, but I am better now.  I'm glad I have a matte black grill.  You can definitely tell the "splotches" where I had to scrub on it but my guess is this will fade as the grill ages.  The cooking is the most important thing.  I'll be cooking again soon hopefully before the week is out.  It is a great piece of equipment.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 7:22 PM, johnnymnemonic said:

Yep it was very difficult.  I had put too much grout and let it dry.  Took me about 2 hours straight of scrubbing with the scotch brite on the 7 or 8 places where I had put grout to get it all off the tiles.  All the scrubbing made the grout look lighter in color - but after wiping everything down though, it looks pretty much like new.  So - just a little sweat and it's all good.  Lesson learned.

I will be honest, after all this initial work I have a twinge of buyer's remorse. I know I'm going to love this thing once I spend a few more cooks with it, but right now, I'm spent.  User error.  I accept that it's my fault.  but - don't make the same mistake.  USE A VERY VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF GROUT PATCH.  Maybe apply it with a q-tip or something.

I'm sure with the humid weather we have here in georgia I'll be doing it again one day, but I will not forget this lesson!

Hmmm sorry to here about  trouble.   I guess that would be a ltllte discouraging after waitng and finaally reveiving your KK.   Hang in there and good luck .   Can wait to see some cooks. 

On 11/12/2021 at 4:49 AM, swoff1 said:

Hmmm sorry to here about  trouble.   I guess that would be a ltllte discouraging after waitng and finaally reveiving your KK.   Hang in there and good luck .   Can wait to see some cooks. 

It has been great @swoff1.  Other than I was just a total noob and didn't call Dennis on my tile work.  Really if you do it right and only apply a small amount of grout patch, it's "no big deal".  I love my KK, and I have been cooking a good bit on weekends and posting the results.  I love all the real estate on the 42.  Look at how big this thing is (see photo attached).  I cooked Al Pastor, the remainder of the pork butt I used for the Pastor and another butt and still had enough room for a clear path to the firebox. I can't wait to do a huge BBQ cook with several butts for a gathering or another El pastor cook but with 4 or 5 vertical spits going and invite the whole street. These things really are unreal.  Awesome Awesome cooker and worth the effort.  There will be many stories and good times had with this thing, and it has already started.  

JSAL2.png

Edited by johnnymnemonic
  • Like 2