BigO

New Burn In and Cure Video on You Tube

Hi 

Its Memorial Day int he USA today so I dropped an extra video today. This one is the process I used for my first burn and I went ahead and did a cure of the acrylic jacket while I was at it.

According to the KK manual, the objective here is to get up to temp slowly and maintain a 500-550 degree F for a couple of hours. Why? Well watch my other video on venting that has all the latest info on construction, humidity & solvent venting etc.

Thanks for all the nice notes and appreciation on this forum. Its appreciated.

I'm trying to create a down and dirty Kamado You Tube channel: so your Views, Likes, Comments and Subscriptions really help. Thanks all. More vids coming:

Rotisserie, Lighting, Cold smoking, and on and on!

Oscar

• Like 7

I have a general question. The burn-in process is well understood given all the explanations and informative posts. What I don't really understand is why you need to do it at all- given the likelihood that small cracks may develop over the years for various reasons (as we can see from multiple posts about repair tips/ lids getting heavy etc), isn't 'burn-in' then a constantly evolving process? In other words, over the years small amounts of venting may occur from time to time if the cement absorbs some humidity etc... so what is the point of doing an initial burn-in? I understand that the development of soot on the inside will provide some protection from moisture absorption, but presume that process will also develop with regular cooking temps as well?

6 minutes ago, remi said:

I have a general question. The burn-in process is well understood given all the explanations and informative posts. What I don't really understand is why you need to do it at all- given the likelihood that small cracks may develop over the years for various reasons (as we can see from multiple posts about repair tips/ lids getting heavy etc), isn't 'burn-in' then a constantly evolving process? In other words, over the years small amounts of venting may occur from time to time if the cement absorbs some humidity etc... so what is the point of doing an initial burn-in? I understand that the development of soot on the inside will provide some protection from moisture absorption, but presume that process will also develop with regular cooking temps as well?

The main purpose of the burn in/vent (from what I have read) is to make sure that the acrylic jacket solvent is completely driven out from under the tiles which then 'sets' them fully and allows the jacket to properly expand/contract with higher heat cookings and thus preventing the tiles from popping/falling off in the future. There could be the possibility of small cracks in the jacket forming in the future but that isn't from venting, it is from natural expansion/contraction and it shouldn't relate to the tiles and their security. The lids getting heavy with moisture also don't need a 'vent' process to solve them since the moisture that the lid would suck in would then be dried out and go out the top cap rather than through the acrylic jacket/tiles like the one time vent. 

That is my understanding at least and I could be off base so perhaps one of the vets or Dennis could chime in and clarify in case I am wrong in my understanding. In short though venting is important and prevents a lot of potential problems in the future but maintenance is still maintenance and unrelated to venting (as long as it was done correctly and finished).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jadeite said:

The main purpose of the burn in/vent (from what I have read) is to make sure that the acrylic jacket solvent is completely driven out from under the tiles which then 'sets' them fully and allows the jacket to properly expand/contract with higher heat cookings and thus preventing the tiles from popping/falling off in the future. There could be the possibility of small cracks in the jacket forming in the future but that isn't from venting, it is from natural expansion/contraction and it shouldn't relate to the tiles and their security. The lids getting heavy with moisture also don't need a 'vent' process to solve them since the moisture that the lid would suck in would then be dried out and go out the top cap rather than through the acrylic jacket/tiles like the one time vent. 

That is my understanding at least and I could be off base so perhaps one of the vets or Dennis could chime in and clarify in case I am wrong in my understanding. In short though venting is important and prevents a lot of potential problems in the future but maintenance is still maintenance and unrelated to venting (as long as it was done correctly and finished).

Yep- I understand that well enough as well- but I would have thought that the factory burn in takes care of the solvents (irrespective of ongoing smell for a few cooks), and the main thing you do when you burn in at home is remove moisture from the refractory cement; hence Dennis' newer practice of plastic wrapping. But this potential of moisture to enter the material doesn't stop after the first few cooks (as we see on the forum in numerous examples of cracks and heavy lids etc). Hence my question- if you live in a humid area, and only do high temp cooks every so often- then presumably you are 'burning in' many times again in the future.

6 hours ago, remi said:

Yep- I understand that well enough as well- but I would have thought that the factory burn in takes care of the solvents (irrespective of ongoing smell for a few cooks), and the main thing you do when you burn in at home is remove moisture from the refractory cement; hence Dennis' newer practice of plastic wrapping. But this potential of moisture to enter the material doesn't stop after the first few cooks (as we see on the forum in numerous examples of cracks and heavy lids etc). Hence my question- if you live in a humid area, and only do high temp cooks every so often- then presumably you are 'burning in' many times again in the future.

I was pretty sure that the video said that Dennis' burn in at the factory is to bring the material to a stable humidity level but that it doesn't remove the last of the solvents. 

Also there is something to be said for user use playing a part in things like heavy lids. Lack of covers in colder climates, not letting the KK breath in humid environments etc. The cookers aren't used in a vacuum after all.

I would not consider a higher heat cook a 'burn in' if it were to drive out moisture due to humidity. A burn in is really only that first one to get rid of solvents/finally set the tiles.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 9:06 PM, remi said:

Made a follow up video describing what you’re talking about here, it is an evolution.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1