tekobo

Skinny Wagyu Brisket - What to Do??

Hi.  I ordered a Wagyu brisket online without really paying any attention to the weight.  It was sold as a 1.6kg piece and is, as you would expect for that weight, skinny and small.  Any ideas about how best to cook it?  I thought I could treat it like the flat on a larger brisket and turn it into burnt ends but that would seem to be coating the flavour of something that should really taste quite good on its own.  Grateful for advice.  

IMG_9589.thumb.jpeg.9e7c205bcdc676fa7cdb91a430fd0fc1.jpeg

• Like 1

I typically don’t wrap my briskets, but I believe this would be an exception. Secondly, I believe this is a textbook candidate for dry brining..basically salt it as much as you would under normal circumstances, let it sit uncovered overnight, then season as you care to minus the salt, and cook normally.

Sous vide would be another option if you have that capability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd still do it classical Franklin - equal parts by volume of salt & pepper to let the flavor come through, low & slow with some nice wood chunks (post oak if you have it), wrap in the pink butcher paper after the stall, cook to 203F and make sure to let it rest, still wrapped, a couple of hours at least when done.

I'm now partial to doing chuck roasts, as they are about this size or slightly bigger (~4 lbs). Technique works great. I'm looking forward to my next one to try out the Waygu tallow trick in the Mad Scientist BBQ video that I posted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Robert, Tony.  Simple seasoning definitely feels like the right way to go, as does wrapping.  I won't sous vide but dry brining does sound like a good call.  Will look up the video that you refer to Tony.  I am starting to imagine a very tasty Wagyu brisket burger in my future and that feels good.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The brisket burger turned out great.

IMG_9612.thumb.jpeg.b881529d7ea15fecedd2a7e496f27160.jpeg

After seven hours cooking I finally gave in and wrapped it. 

IMG_9605.thumb.jpeg.207d7a72057f54a34c0af701d6049ee2.jpeg

Came out looking mighty fine.

IMG_9606.thumb.jpeg.5520252abaecb9c0045f3567a55c56f3.jpeg

No smoke ring but I only used a handful of pellets in the smoke pot. 

IMG_9608.thumb.jpeg.1f6277a5a2fd409035df97fc0498ce22.jpeg

Remind me NOT to try to be fancy by laying my brisket in two different directions.  Of course it was difficult to eat.  The home made kimchi seemed a fitting accompaniment to the Wagyu.  Today we will be eating the left overs with Nigerian jollof rice and fried plantains.  Just the right size of brisket for two.

IMG_9610.thumb.jpeg.56d7875b1535834cce5d30de1fac515f.jpeg

• Like 6