BigO

ThermoWorks Billow $3 tip that makes it work great!

Hello, I bought a ThermoWorks Billow to use with my KK. I know, I know, you don’t need that...... For those that enjoy sleep and peace of mind on overnight cooks, check out my video. If you buy one of these, the $3 accessory is a must.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BigO said:

Hello, I bought a ThermoWorks Billow to use with my KK. I know, I know, you don’t need that...... For those that enjoy sleep and peace of mind on overnight cooks, check out my video. If you buy one of these, the $3 accessory is a must.

I've heard that the Billows is more of an 'on/off' cycling fan so it isn't running continuously which caused other issues for a Kamado style vs just the HUGE amount of air it could push through... do you find that makes a difference now that you have the damper or does it really work as intended now?

Edited by Jadeite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jadeite said:

I've heard that the Billows is more of an 'on/off' cycling fan so it isn't running continuously which caused other issues for a Kamado style vs just the HUGE amount of air it could push through... do you find that makes a difference now that you have the damper or does it really work as intended now?

In my experience all temp controllers with the exception of the SmoBot work on the same fan on off principal. The issue with the Billows is the volume of air: 46CFM, that’s a lot vs other controllers which could be 1/4 of the volume. Add that to the fact the Kk does not require much airflow and it presents a challenge. Add the $3 damper accessory and voila, problem solved. I know some have returned these, when all they needed was a $3 accessory to make it work perfectly.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, BigO said:

In my experience all temp controllers with the exception of the SmoBot work on the same fan on off principal. The issue with the Billows is the volume of air: 46CFM, that’s a lot vs other controllers which could be 1/4 of the volume. Add that to the fact the Kk does not require much airflow and it presents a challenge. Add the $3 damper accessory and voila, problem solved. I know some have returned these, when all they needed was a $3 accessory to make it work perfectly.

Sounds good to me! I'll probably order one just to have the option. I like to have options even if I rarely use them.. haha.

You get the 'universal' adapter for it too right?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jadeite said:

Sounds good to me! I'll probably order one just to have the option. I like to have options even if I rarely use them.. haha.

That’s right, it slides right in to the KK and provides a nice snug fit.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jadeite said:

Check out the BBQ Guru. It was probably the 1st one of its kind. I've owned mine for over 10 years. Works great. Has the damper built right into it - a must have. It a 10 cfm fan, which is more than plenty of air for a heat-soaked KK. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tony b said:

Check out the BBQ Guru. It was probably the 1st one of its kind. I've owned mine for over 10 years. Works great. Has the damper built right into it - a must have. It a 10 cfm fan, which is more than plenty of air for a heat-soaked KK. 

I already have the ThermaQ 2 so the Billows matches with that perfect so it is a better bet for me. If that damper didn't exist (or if I didn't have a ThermaQ) it would be a different story :)