Greetings from Atlanta! 

We just received our BB 32 in a type of Speckled Glass Blue. This thing arrived well packaged for sure! Couple questions about getting it off the pallet and moving it in general. I understand the crate lid also serves as a ramp to get the grill off of the crate. The grill weighs ~918 pounds once you take all the grates out so am wondering what's a good strategy for getting the grill down the ramp without it taking off? Do you just surround it with four dudes and ease it down?

Second question is about moving it down a slope. This is going from the garage down the side of the house which in on a decent downward slope and into the backyard. I've measured and the BB will fit through the side gate. We have a crew working on some hardscape atm and they've graciously said they'd help move it! The hardscape crew has this nifty machine (pic included) that they use to haul dirt, crusher, pavers, etc. up and down the side of the house and have laid down thick plywood to facilitate. This mini-bobcat thing has mounting rings for a hoist/strap and that's the second question - what do I put around the BB and attach to those mounting rings? I know what I need - a heavy-duty strap of some kind that I can put around the BB attached to a chain that I can connect to those mounting rings, but what is that called? Any advice? 

IMG_20210610_190820.jpg

IMG_20210612_131840.jpg

IMG_20210612_131905.jpg

IMG_20210612_131826.jpg

• Like 1

Speed I’d roll it down the ply with 3 blokes around it.... nice and steady.
Ditch the machine.
Maybe post a photo of the slope and ply?
BTW, congrats on your decision with the KK. I’m interested in seeing it’s final resting place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You're more that 3/4 of the way there - already have the plywood sheets and the burley dudes to help. Not sure about that bobcat looking gizmo for moving it though. IF you do decide to strap it to the bobcat - do NOT run the strap through the handle. It's not load bearing and you can damage the latch. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LudicrousSpeed said:

The hardscape crew has this nifty machine (pic included) that they use to haul dirt, crusher, pavers, etc. up and down the side of the house and have laid down thick plywood to facilitate.

Please don't use that thing to move your 32KK. Very little good can come of it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Basher said:

Speed I’d roll it down the ply with 3 blokes around it.... nice and steady.
Ditch the machine.
Maybe post a photo of the slope and ply?
BTW, congrats on your decision with the KK. I’m interested in seeing it’s final resting place.

Thanks for the suggestions - so far 3/3 KK owners are saying to not use the bobcat lol. Here is a picture of the path down to the backyard and the plywood on which the hardscape crew has been driving their bobcat up and down. The gate on the right is where the KK is going. I'm happy to not use the machine, but I just have a hard time imagining 3 or 4 chaps manually negotiating 900 lbs of KK down an incline. Sounds like it has been done before though, so we'll give it a go!

Will definitely post pics when we get it in place!

IMG_20210610_191652.jpg

Edited by LudicrousSpeed
  • Like 3

Yep, easy with 3 or 4 blokes.
Nice and steady.
It would be preferred dry weather.
As tony said, try not to put too much pull on the lid handle. Ask the guys to fight the instinct to grab the handle, unless at last resort...... seriously, it’ll be fine with 3 or 4 blokes.

• Like 3

Agree with all said, especially the handle advice.

My additional 2 cents:

> Remove everything from the inside of the grill except  the fire ring; leave it in . This will make the grill as light as possible.

> Ensure the plywood is laid out so you are rolling it off one sheet and onto the next. In your picture, I see the sheets alternating; this would force you to have to go 'up' from one sheet to the next. It is way easier to have the sheets cascade and the grill 'flow' over them. In moving all of the grills I have dealt with (5) I have used the plywood in this fashion.

> I would not use the bobcat.

> if you feel the need for handles, make two handles out of plywood and secure them to the sides using the bolts in the sides where the side tables / rotisseries would go.

> Most of all - Take. Your. Time. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

Good luck, many happy days/nights of cooking are ahead, this is just the beginning.

• Like 3

I will weigh in and say that I moved a 42" KK with 3 other men (four of us total) and my wife helping to spot/guide and had to go down a little incline and then UP an incline to my back yard. You'll absolutely be fine managing your distance with 3/4 people and a 32" :) Just go slow!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 9:36 AM, Jadeite said:

I will weigh in and say that I moved a 42" KK with 3 other men (four of us total) and my wife helping to spot/guide and had to go down a little incline and then UP an incline to my back yard. You'll absolutely be fine managing your distance with 3/4 people and a 32" :) Just go slow!

Did you use a pallet jack or roll it on the casters?  There was a run on pallet jack rentals around here last weekend, so mine is still in the garage, trying again tomorrow.

2 hours ago, GrillnBrew said:

Did you use a pallet jack or roll it on the casters?  There was a run on pallet jack rentals around here last weekend, so mine is still in the garage, trying again tomorrow.

I used the KK's casters. I debated a pallet jack rental but with the angle I didn't think it would work in reality so I just emptied my KK of everything (except the firebox) and rolled it. For something that was ballpark 1400 pounds empty (or whatever it is) it moved pretty well but I am certainly glad I don't have to move it more than once.. lol

• Like 3

Thanks.  I'm going by an equipment rental company today for the pallet jack,  will ask about the bobcat rental too, maybe they would be willing to move it for me. Hoping to cook our Fathers Day meal on it this weekend.

Everything but the firebox is out of the grill, and that was quite the workout hauling all those grates around the  house to the backyard.

• Like 1

No bobcat but they do have the pallet jack. They also have something called dura deck that is used to protect delicate ground from heavy equipment, so I'm getting 3 pieces of that instead of plywood.  4x8 sheets rent for $10, so cheaper than plywood and more durable.  Should have her fired up tomorrow!

• Like 4

Well - We had some delays with the new hardscape work wrapping up, but finally finished and got the BB down the incline! Ended up having four guys from the landscape crew pitch in and we (mostly they) eased it down with four sheets of plywood that we leapfrogged as needed. Going to finish the assembly and do the burn-in this evening. Maybe shop for some more patio furniture lol. I liked those teak tables Dennis offers, but the wife thought it was overkill. 

IMG_20210709_163540.jpg

IMG_20210709_163546.jpg

Edited by LudicrousSpeed
  • Like 5