Adam Ag 98

Rotisserie cradle whole chicken setup question

I'm using my rotisserie cradle for the first time today. I noticed in Dennis's setup video he appears to be cooking direct.

I have a 21" setup w/a half basket (on 21 only does left/right, not front/back).

I assume I can't install only the rotisserie and don't need a drip pan if I"m not roasting veggies? I think my chicken can fit only on the fire side - if not I'll remove the basket splitter and do a full basket.

it's a decent sized bird @6 pounds.

Adam I’m not sure about the 21”. The basket with splitter is round in my 23” so can face any direction.
Most of my roti cooks are done with a full basket.
I place the lowest grilling rack in and start the cook direct.
When it starts dripping, I place foil or a tray on the lowest rack so it becomes indirect.
Par boiled potatoes can be placed around the edge to cook.
Other veges are tough to combine like a multiple cook.
dce69233187f318fd162138d8201a6fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I kept the 1/2 basket and it cooked fine. Last night's fish I had to let it burn a bit to get rid of some of the drippings that had landed on the coals.

I'd dry brined the bird w/Yardbird rub, but it didn't do much. The seasoning pretty much dripped off. Spatchcocking has worked much better to keep the seasononing in place. I'll expirement w/a wet brine next time.

I should have done a high heat cook at the end (or not tented in foil while resting afterwards). the skin was rubbery. My quartering skills post-cook were also similar to what you'd get tossing the entire bird in a blender :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm a big fan of Yardbird - my "go to" for chicken. Never had an issue with it dripping off on a rotisserie cook and I often inject my chickens with Butchers BBQ marinade. You must have had a very fatty bird? 

For crispy skin, you need to hit it with high heat at the end of the cook. I typically cook my chicken around 325F for 45 minutes and then ramp up to 375 - 400F for the last 15-20 minutes to crisp the skin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1