BlueRidgeBBQGuy

What the sales pitch for why these are better than egg or similar Kamado?

I got a big  bad 32, and loving it!

I've had eggs for about 10 years, Large and Mini max aka Smokey and the Bandit :)

What is the reasoning behind why these cook better?

I think I've heard it has less air flow which reduces the amount of moisture lost, but how does it have less air flow? Seems like same design as any other Kamado. Air hole in bottom, air hole in tops.

I think it has something to do with how it hold heat better?

I'm just not understanding the reasoning.

Can someone explain?  When I tell people about the grill I want to be better able to explain how it works so well!

Thanks.

Edited by BlueRidgeBBQGuy
  • Like 3

On 6/26/2021 at 2:18 AM, BlueRidgeBBQGuy said:

I got a big  bad 32, and loving it!

High-quality insulation reduces airflow which creates better barbecue.  
Charcoal always burns at the maximum volume for the allowed airflow, if you can burn less fuel to maintain your cooking temperature, you will have less airflow, less evaporation, and Bingo.. more retained moisture in your meat. 
And that's better barbecue. 
And commonsense would dictate that less airflow gives the vapor that's released from the charcoal more retention time therefore more opportunity to condense on your food. Condensation of course is how the vapor is transferred to the food. So less airflow not only gives you more retained moisture but more smoke flavor.
And that's better barbecue. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 6/25/2021 at 7:18 PM, BlueRidgeBBQGuy said:

The high insulation and the way the air is driven through the charcoal basket leads to:

1. Predictable temps - this is key.  I have cooked everything from low n slow, rotisserie chicken, a whole pig, little tofu skewers to souffle in the KK and I can rely on the temperatures holding to within +/-10C of target temp for the whole of the cook (if I don't fiddle unnecessarily with the vents :-) ).  

2. Versatility  - if you have the 32 you have a great multi-tool.  All the grates that come as standard give you a massive range of things that you can cook at different levels and direct or indirect.

3. Ease of lighting/saving fuel - I cook so much more often on my KKs because I can get them up and running fast and because, when I shut off the vents, the charcoal is snuffed out quickly and available for future use.  More cooking = more practice = better food.

4. Lots of fun - I have never owned a BGE and I imagine you can have lots of fun cooking on one of those too.  I am just glad that I did not waste time and money on the intermediate step of owning a BGE.  Have fun!

• Like 5

Additionally, the design of the firebox is such that ALL of the air passes over the coals, which is not the case in other kamados. So even if the kk wasn’t truly insulated, it simply needs less air volume to maintain a given temperature because all the air entering the grill is fueling the fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

To average folk explaining evaporation, condensation, convection, conduction, insulation, and air flow isn’t going to stick.

What will stick:

Just show them the grill and state: “it is the Rolls Royce of Big Green Egg’s”. They’ll remember the shape, the shiny pebbles, and the way the food tastes.

If you chose tiles, well you’re on a losing track. ;)

a0de0b8e9f226cc4191d7a1c07b66076.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

@BlueRidgeBBQGuy I recently ordered my KK after 12 years of green egging and here's why:

- I wanted the best (and I have been reading about and watching videos about KKs for years)

- after a while you inevitably have to change the felt gasket on your green egg.  I've done mine 3 times and my father-in-laws a couple of times.  It is not fun to have to take apart your cooker and do maintenance on it.  If you have the 2009 to IDK 2016 spring assisted hinge, it is almost impossible to get the stupid top and bottom of the green egg lined up.  You usually end up with an "underbite" on your egg.  It's very frustrating to spend a thousand bucks on something that won't line up perfectly.  The new hinges are better, and if you save the spacers when you buy either the egg itself or a new hinge assembly, you can learn to line up the hinges properly and avoid the "underbite" or "overbite" alignment issues on your egg.  One of my father in law's grills had the old spring assisted hinge and I was able to line his up perfectly using the spacers after changing the gasket.  - but BGEs are such a pain in the behind on this point.  The egg is a great cooker, but it's got some annoyances.

Don't get me wrong, I love my egg.  BGE stands by its merchandise and they have replaced parts for me for free (like a cracked fire ring).  I'd recommend BGE over other Kamados in its class because of how well the company stands by their merchandise (and I live in Atlanta close to headquarters). 

However -- I'm really looking forward to having something that is going to run for many years without much intervention.  Maybe some hinge spring tightening on the KK.  Maybe some wiping down and vacuuming on occasion.  But no gasket replacement (at least not for a massively long time).

I'm looking forward to a ceramic cooker that loses even less moisture than the egg and that keeps temperatures better than any grill in the known universe.

I'm looking forward to a grill that (to cite the "rum and cook" guy on youtube) cooks a pork butt that beats a pork butt smoked on a Yoder professional grade pellet grill (and does it all in a mostly maintenance free manner).  I think his video is a little weird b/c I'd probably use a full basket of coals with wood chunks in it and rely on the vents rather than using the cold smoker attachment for extra smoke with only 1/4 basket of charcoal but... meh - whatever.  Still pretty good endorsement.  I'd rather have less maintenance on the KK for years and years than have to maintain a pellet grill.

And if you watch other videos - Stephen Raichlen cooks on everything and knows it all - calls KK the best ceramic cooker without compare.  You can take any number of people's word for it. 

I don't have my KK yet and I don't know anyone who has one, so I haven't tasted the food yet - but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get my KK and say "that was worth it".  If you cook a lot and consider it your hobby, why not have the best?

Cheers!

@DennisLinkletter you've never been disparaging of the competition but if you wanted to know some of the reasons why I finally ordered my KK (you probably have had other people talk about their eggs so this may not be new to you but - just in case).  Anyway I'm brimming with excitement and will be for the next 4 months until I get my KK Big Bad 32.

Edited by johnnymnemonic
  • Like 4

On 6/26/2021 at 2:15 AM, 5698k said:

Actually KK’s have no ceramic in them, and it’s the only truly insulated kamado grill available. The insulation prevents heat loss, so less fuel is required to maintain a given temperature..less fuel, less airflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought KKs were ceramic grills? Am I mistaken?

6 hours ago, DavidMcKay said:

I thought KKs were ceramic grills? Am I mistaken?

@DavidMcKay The KK "looks" ceramic.  It would be a little pedantic if this forum were renamed to the Komodo Kamado grill/smoker/oven "Refractory Cement Forum".  Scientifically there seems to be a debate on a google search.  Refractory material IS ceramic, I *think*.  But most ceramics are not refractory.  Here's a page I found that may be useful.  https://www.refractoriesinstitute.org/tri-pages/tri-what-are-refractories.asp. First sentence "Refractories are ceramic materials...".

I would pardon the snobbery a little bit from this crowd.  We have expensive taste and we ordered the "bugatti of Kamados". 

Most Kamado grills are the equivalent of clay pots. In fact my father-in-law's 26 year old BGE looks like it is made out of a brick like material.  He has a chip in his and it's red brown in color just like a brick.  He got his while they were still made in USA.  Mine's white-ish.   More cheaply made, much younger (only about 11 1/2 years old).  Made in Mexico, it says on my plate setter.  Anyway, the KK is made of refractory material, heavily insulated, etc.  It's a BIG difference.   I'm still waiting on mine, but I'm stoked.  I coveted one of these things for 10+ years - now I have a 42"SBB only a couple weeks out.

Anyway - I'm with you - splitting hairs about the word "ceramic" is unnecessary.  Just get a KK.

Edited by johnnymnemonic
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, johnnymnemonic said:

@DavidMcKay The KK "looks" ceramic.  It would be a little pedantic if this forum were renamed to the Komodo Kamado grill/smoker/oven "Refractory Cement Forum".  Scientifically there seems to be a debate on a google search.  Refractory material IS ceramic, I *think*.  But most ceramics are not refractory.  Here's a page I found that may be useful.  https://www.refractoriesinstitute.org/tri-pages/tri-what-are-refractories.asp. First sentence "Refractories are ceramic materials...".

I would pardon the snobbery a little bit from this crowd.  We have expensive taste and we ordered the "bugatti of Kamados". 

Most Kamado grills are the equivalent of clay pots. In fact my father-in-law's 26 year old BGE looks like it is made out of a brick like material.  He has a chip in his and it's red brown in color just like a brick.  He got his while they were still made in USA.  Mine's white-ish.   More cheaply made, much younger (only about 11 1/2 years old).  Made in Mexico, it says on my plate setter.  Anyway, the KK is made of refractory material, heavily insulated, etc.  It's a BIG difference.   I'm still waiting on mine, but I'm stoked.  I coveted one of these things for 10+ years - now I have a 42"SBB only a couple weeks out.

Anyway - I'm with you - splitting hairs about the word "ceramic" is unnecessary.  Just get a KK.

Many thanks for the response.

I am looking to put a model into production and wanted to get a sense of the difference between ceramic and refractory cement and why I should go for one over the other, especially given that Komodo saw fit to use refractory cement over ceramic.

I would hope that my product would also present as the Bugatti of its type - and it is not a Kamado style grill.

Regards,,

David

Johnnymnemomic said “I'm still waiting on mine, but I'm stoked.  I coveted one of these things for 10+ years - now I have a 42"SBB only a couple weeks out.”

@johnnymnemonic I’m probably one of many here on the forum who are eagerly awaiting your KK arrival. It will be quite a treat to see your delivery pics and see you enjoying it at last!  

Edited by Dono
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DavidMcKay said:

I would hope that my product would also present as the Bugatti of its type - and it is not a Kamado style grill.

I hope so too - you should let us know when you have a model to look at.  I'm sure I'm not the only KK fan who likes to geek out on grills, if not own multiple types.

44 minutes ago, Dono said:

I’m probably one of many here on the forum who are eagerly awaiting your KK arrival. It will be quite a treat to see your delivery pics and see you enjoying it at last!  

The best thing about owning a KK is the community of KK users.  This is a really cool thing to read.  I will share as much as I can and continue to participate here.  I cannot say enough about this community of people.  This has to be the best product on earth to bring together such great people.

• Like 3