johnnymnemonic

After over a decade of desire, I finally ordered my KK

I'm a 12 year green egger.  I have had my eyes on the KK for years.  I finally put in my order for a BB32 yesterday.

Thanks to Dennis and all you helpful forum posters for your words.  I am looking forward to receiving mine in late October, early November, according to my conversation with Dennis yesterday.  

-John

Atlanta, GA

• Like 8

Got a huge list of things I want to cook on this thing @Basher.  On my egg, my standbys are pork butts, brisket, and ribs.  I also love doing chicken for the family just on normal nights, etc.  I also love to do pheasants and turkeys.  As this thing will arrive by thanksgiving a turkey sounds like it will be one of the first few cooks I do.  One thing I have been wanting to try is curing some beef and smoking some homemade pastrami, or this other recipe my grandmother used to do called "hunter's round". It's basically got sugar, salt, saltpeter, nutmeg, ground cloves.  (rub the meat, refrigerate, and turn it every day for 14 days), then her recipe is to use a sirloin tip or bottom round roast. boil the roast after it is done aging/curing.  I was thinking take some brisket or a big hunk of chuck instead of the sirloin tip or bottom round and do the same recipe.  At the end, wash off the roast and rub it again light on the salt, minus the saltpeter and smoke it on the KK instead of boiling it.

Edited by johnnymnemonic
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, johnnymnemonic said:

@RokDok you think tiles are better than pebbles?  Bet I can change it up and get matte black tile.  What's the reasoning for this recommendation?  Just more grout / more maintenance?

Tee hee. Just a bit of needle.  Pebble folk think tiles are all wrong and tile folk think they are the best.  I started off with two pebble KKs, sold them and moved on to three tile KKs.  They all cook great but I have to say.... tiles are the best!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Tee hee. Just a bit of needle.  Pebble folk think tiles are all wrong and tile folk think they are the best.  I started off with two pebble KKs, sold them and moved on to three tile KKs.  They all cook great but I have to say.... tiles are the best!

Hmmm, takes 3 tiled KKs to replace 2 pebbled KKs, Dennis may be on to something :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

First off, Welcome to the Obsession. As you can see, there's a lot of passion on this Forum. I'm a tile guy, but nothing wrong with pebbles (especially if your name is Bam-Bam! LOL!) You're going to be blown away by the upgrade from the BGE! The KK is a far superior cooker. You've just upped your game to the next level, automatically. Hoping that your delivery will be there in time for the Holiday feasts!

• Like 2

On 7/4/2021 at 8:27 PM, tony b said:

First off, Welcome to the Obsession. As you can see, there's a lot of passion on this Forum. I'm a tile guy, but nothing wrong with pebbles (especially if your name is Bam-Bam! LOL!) You're going to be blown away by the upgrade from the BGE! The KK is a far superior cooker. You've just upped your game to the next level, automatically. Hoping that your delivery will be there in time for the Holiday feasts!

I'm counting on being blown away and it being better.  If you can buy 6 large green eggs for the same price....  But I have been convinced for a very long time.  I was just waiting until I finally had the free cash to buy my KK. 

I'm very passionate, too.  I think you can make great food on a variety of equipment. It's just knowing your equipment and putting the love, time, and energy in.  I've learned to perfect BBQ on the BGE without using any gadgets.  I work in tech and a lot of geeks like to  use their Fireboards and BBQ Gurus and all manner of stuff.  I have a ~ twenty dollar Lavatools PT12 Javelin contact thermometer and that's it.  I know how to set my fire to get the right airflow and I've learned that for the most part you don't need absolutely consistent temperatures (but you can do pretty damned well without gadgets if you practice).  The last thing I want to do when I am relaxing from my tech job is using more tech to BBQ with.

That all said, one thing I'm really excited about is the temperature consistency of the KK b/c it is just so much better insulated.  I want better hardware, too.  I'm tired of replacing the BGE gaskets every 3-5 years - I cook a lot so I wear them out fairly quickly and it's a real pain to redo them (and I've also replaced the bands and hinge- thank goodness BGE's newest generation has made them a little better).  'm looking forward to the KK lasting a lot longer than this and being better than this in all respects.

Some questions that I have:

* while I'm not a "gadget guy", it would seem like a waste to get a grill with a bung for a probe and not get a probe.  What probe should I buy?  Are there any recommended ones out there that do not require a smart phone (I just hate crap other than pages from work going off on my smart phone).

* A lot of people definitely do not use the port for it, but what's the recommendation on using a BBQ Guru or a Thermoworks Billows instead of just learning the vents on the KK?  It would seem that the opinions differ on this quite a bit, but a lot of people say "it's definitely completely unnecessary on the KK b/c it holds the temp so well" - but what's y'alls feeling on that?

@Basher @tony b et al - thanks in advance for your time reading and responding.

• Like 1

The advantage of using a probe thermometer is that you don't have to open the lid to check on your food.

A temp controller certainly isn't necessary. I have a BBQ Guru but I'm only using it so i can relax and sleep when doing an overnight cook - without it, i find myself just drowsing and constantly checking the cook temps. I have the CyberQ Cloud; I don't like that the monitoring is via the web and alerts come as texts and emails - I'd much rather have an app so that the alerts are separate than the other texts and emails i get but it works well enough that I won't spend the $$ to get something else. I think their newer controller has an app. They do have a controller that doesn't need an app or web access but i don't think it provides remote monitoring.

For monitoring food and cook temps for shorter cooks, I'm currently using a Meater Block (upgraded from a Meater+); it's totally wireless which makes it more convenient since there aren't any probe cables to deal with when flipping or moving the food; of course, it requires an app.

Thermoworks makes some great stuff (I have a thermopen) but i haven't dug into the details of their controllers and monitoring stuff since i have those needs covered with the Guru and Meater; others on the forum are using some of their stuff and will hopefully chime in on those.