johnnymnemonic

After over a decade of desire, I finally ordered my KK

Like @jeffshoaf said, it's just peace of mind. I've owned a Guru (DigiQ-II - no silly WiFi app!) for longer than I've owned my KK. Just used it this weekend for a rib cook. My deck is elevated and there sometimes a good breeze between my house and the neighbors, so I've had temperature control issues before on longer cooks. The Guru solves that, especially once you learn to close down the output damper. 

I backed the Meater during its Kickstarter campaign. They have since upgraded me to a Meater+ when it came out to improve the connectivity. Only way to monitor a rotisserie cook, as it has NO WIRES. That was the reason that I backed it. 

If I'm using the Guru, then I'm using their probes (grill and meat), but if I'm not use it (or the Meater) then I like the Maverick XR-50. A HUGE upgrade over their older models. 

Another thought - the cold smoker is a nice accessory if you want to get into that. Others have used it in parallel with a temperature cook to add extra smoke. I use Syzergies smoker pot (used it on the rib cook this weekend.) I did use the cold smoker this weekend to smoke some Wagyu beef tallow and some pork leaf lard to experiment with on some cooks - including the rib cook on Sunday. I've smoked cheese, nuts, salmon and even malted barley (I'm a homebrewer) with it, so it does have its uses. 

• Like 1

I hear you Johnny on keeping it low tech. That’s partly why cooking over fire is so enjoyable.
I mostly used a MEATER plus for the first 12 months as I love the roti cooking.
This was to learn the settings = temps with the KK.
It worked as I soon learnt where the settings needed to be…. and they are so consistent.
About 15 months in I purchased a Smartfire unit for cooks longer than 6 hours so I could set it and head off to kids sport and other things.
In saying that, hovering around the house for 6 hours and checking on temps can be very therapeutic. It gives me a chance to stop, and read or garden while cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats Johnny!!!  I hope you love yours as much as I’m loving my BB32 with “tiles” 😉 Absolutely zero regrets here! 

I agree with Jeffshoaf on the advantages of the probe thermometers.  I’m chiming in……I have been using the ThermoWorks Signals.  I read a lot about some previous software bugs, but they seem to have that all figured out.  I’ve not experienced any issues with mine.  It’s helpful having 4 ports too. One for the grill temp, one for the billows, and 2 for probe thermometers, 
or for some other similar configuration.  And I really like that I can run to the store or to a game and monitor the cook.  Needs a smartphone and app, but worth it for me.  An added recommendation are a couple of probe cable extensions and the silicone probe spools.  

The temp controller I use is the ThermoWorks Billows.  "it's definitely completely unnecessary on the KK b/c it holds the temp so well"…the KKs do hold their temps incredibly well, but I think the temp controller has a purpose on long cooks particularly for overnight.  I do recommend buyers getting an adjustable damper for this particular brand.  It’s a $2 option.  The KKs are so efficient, you need to be able to dial down the amount of air intake.  The universal mounting kit fits a little snug, but does work in the KK port.  A little veg oil helps it to glide in.  

And I can’t say enough about the ThermoWorks Mk4 instant read thermometer….wouldn’t be without it.  The Meater + is in my future.  Think they are really good for shorter cooks.  And an absolute must if using a rotisserie.  Well hope you have many great cooks!  Share some pics of the delivery and the cooks with us. 

So a going off issue question for everyone……how do you get the @username in the light blue bubble?  Just curious.  I’m not a veteran forum user.  

9 hours ago, Dono said:

So a going off issue question for everyone……how do you get the @username in the light blue bubble?  Just curious.  I’m not a veteran forum user.  

@Dono , it's called an "at mention" and is somewhat common in many different forum and chat apps (like Slack for example). you just type an @ symbol while working on your post or comment and start typing someone's user name and then you can choose them from the resulting dialog and it will mention them in this nice little blue bubble.  BTW thanks for your detailed comment about the Thermoworks!  Will definitely give it serious consideration!

14 hours ago, johnnymnemonic said:

@Dono , it's called an "at mention" and is somewhat common in many different forum and chat apps (like Slack for example). you just type an @ symbol while working on your post or comment and start typing someone's user name and then you can choose them from the resulting dialog and it will mention them in this nice little blue bubble.  BTW thanks for your detailed comment about the Thermoworks!  Will definitely give it serious consideration!

Thanks @johnnymnemonic…..simple.  Appreciate the education and you are very welcome.  Good luck with it.  

Question that was bound to come up.

I started reading some posts and I have seen that there have been a few people who have just thrown caution to the wind and changed their orders from a 32 to a 42.  Not sure I can do this yet, but I decided to ask.  A KK doesn't make financial sense in the first place - it's about having the best there is, like buying a fine sportscar.  Anyway if anyone has cooked on both a 32 and a 42, is there a big difference?  Will I be equally happy when I am doing smaller cooks with a 42? That's my main question.  I'm guessing with the basket splitter the thing really doesn't use much more charcoal than the 32, and both are huge so it's going to take a while to heat soak either of them but anyway.  I have been wondering whether I should just go full 42.  

I think I'll stick with 32 b/c I do a lot of low and slow and I don't need that huge of a space. It's plenty big enough for my family of 5 and any parties I cook for - and it's got plenty of grill space. I'm good.  But I started to get FOMO.  haha.  I cannot wait.  It's going to be a long time before it gets here.  Got to start thinking about a name, etc.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, johnnymnemonic said:

Question that was bound to come up.

I started reading some posts and I have seen that there have been a few people who have just thrown caution to the wind and changed their orders from a 32 to a 42.  Not sure I can do this yet, but I decided to ask.  A KK doesn't make financial sense in the first place - it's about having the best there is, like buying a fine sportscar.  Anyway if anyone has cooked on both a 32 and a 42, is there a big difference?  Will I be equally happy when I am doing smaller cooks with a 42? That's my main question.  I'm guessing with the basket splitter the thing really doesn't use much more charcoal than the 32, and both are huge so it's going to take a while to heat soak either of them but anyway.  I have been wondering whether I should just go full 42.  

While I haven't cooked on a 32", I was one of those people who changed from a 32" to a 42" and I am very happy I did. I've done VERY small cooks on my 42" (just hot dogs for my son's birthday.. he is 5 so that is what he wanted) and it cooked perfectly. The fact that the 42" comes with the divider automatically is great, plus the 42" divider is a double divider so you get your charcoal 'split' in the middle as opposed to left or right. Also and this is just me.. I love how the grates go front to back on the 42" and they come in multiple pieces so really nice to store and set up in different ways.

I honestly think you'll be happy with either but the 42" can absolutely be used small and then you have LOTS AND LOTS of room for bigger stuff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnnymnemonic said:

@Jadeite tell me about your big low and slow stuff on the 42.

I haven't done any big low and slow yet on the 42 just because of how crazy life is around here these days, but I can say with certainty I will never come close to running out of room on my 42" :D 

• Like 1

When we started looking at the KK back in March, I was thinking a 23” but my wife convinced me to go up to the 32”.  By chance, while texting Dennis with some questions he let me know that he had a 32 available (a cancelled order) on the ship so I pulled the trigger.  The alternative would have meant waiting until the fall.   Others have commented about this - IT IS HUGE (and ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS).  I cannot imagine needing more cooking space; even the 32 is overwhelming, but we do not do much large-scale entertaining. 

Good luck with this decision!

C1C32774-2802-4C18-8BE5-572B4AB1EE23.jpeg

• Like 6

When I first saw my 32, I thought it was huge and I probably made a mistake by not going with a 21 or 23 like I had originally planned.  I knew it would handle the larger cooks like a champ, but most of my cooks are for  2 or 3 people. I spun one chicken on Friday using the basket splitter for the first time, and couldn't believe how simple it was.  I had 1/4 of the basket filled with charcoal and put the chicken on the rotisserie right above it, and it turned out great.  What surprised me was how little charcoal it did use, less than what I would have used had I spun the chicken on my Kamado Joe.  Yesterday I did a low and slow smoke on a tri-tip, followed by a reverse sear and didn't have to change the setup at all (replaced spit with racks), as the lit charcoal was on the far right of the basket and the meat was on the rack on the left.  Then I seared it on the lower grate and it turned out perfect.  To me, the bottom line is that the grill is huge, but it can be adjusted to fit whatever you are cooking, so I don't think there is such a thing as "too big" with a KK.

• Like 5

@Basherwanted to let you know I'm prepping for my KK later this year by practicing on the cured meat.  Here's my grandmother's recipe for "Hunter's Round".  (attached image).

1373227078_ScreenShot2021-07-19at10_11_40PM.thumb.png.5d02b1bfa8c617cb493a8a30ef1c9825.png

The way I am doing this is by the book until you get to the part where it says "cover with water and cook".  Instead I'm going to rinse it and smoke it on my BGE.  (On the KK once I get mine).  After this long it's going to probably be salty enough so I won't use salt on the outside, but I'm contemplating just putting freshly ground black pepper on the outside.  The way I'm curing it is also not the same as my grandmother did. She used to throw it in the fridge in a pot or a tupperware container maybe and put a brick on top of it.  Instead I vacuum sealed mine.

Anyway I'll let you know how it goes. 

The thing I like about this recipe just looking at it is that it is super simple. Nutmeg, ground cloves, sugar, salt, saltpeter.  No pickling spices.  No brine.  Just rub and refrigerate. 

Variables I will play with:

* If it works out well with the bottom round roast, I am going to try it with a brisket so that it has more fat. 

* If the clove and nutmeg don't taste the way I want I will try different spices so that I get a better pastrami-like flavor.  But I'm kind of rooting for this simple recipe and I hope the flavor profile is good.

* With vac sealing I could skip the saltpeter.  It won't look as pretty and "corned beef pink" without saltpeter but - no nitrites.  And I bet I don't have to go 14 days.  In the vac seal I bet I could do 7-10 days and that would be fine.

I'm on day 6 in the refrigerator, so I'll be cooking this ~ 1 week from now.  I will report back middle of next week with results on the bottom round.

Edited by johnnymnemonic
add detail
  • Like 1