ChiKing

Tips on getting a good wood flavor

Hia 

I have been MIA for a while due to some construction and the inability to get into my backyard. But I’m back at it and have an 18 pound brisket ready for Sunday. 

I am now using Denis’ coconut charcoal without and smoke pallet. I tried to grab 4 pieces of wood and wrap in tinfoil and add to the smoke right by where the heat was. But it did not seem to add that much smoke flavor. Should I be using more or is there a better way to mix wood and charcoal? With typical fogo I got tons of wood flavor but maybe not as controlled a flavor as I would like. 

tips, tricks? 

hope you all have a great 4th

Thanks. Cool idea. Given a 2 quart pot I was clearly not using enough wood and likely had too many holes in the tin foil.

Two quick questions
1. Holes on the top?
2. Should I worry about it putting out the fire? I’m gonna start my brisket at 11 am m tonight.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use two layers of heavy duty foil, as many chunks as you care to have, three small holes toward the fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I found 4 chucks for brisket was not much. I’ll try more. If you put the holes on the bottom won’t you burn vs smolder?

You want the smoke to pass through the fire, it somewhat cleans it. Keep in mind that you’re getting clean smoke now, and not the acrid stuff you might be used to. Dennis put it best..if the smoke burns your eyes, you don’t want to cook with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you make Syz's smoker pot, the keys are 3 small holes in the bottom (mine are 3/32"). Folks have messed theirs up by either drilling too many holes or too big holes. The idea is to starve the wood inside of oxygen, so it smolders and not actually burns. This is the exact same process as how charcoal is made. You will be surprised to find that after your cook is over, the wood inside is actually charcoal now. The other key trick is the holes go in the bottom, not the lid. You want the smoke to go back into the hot coals to burn off some of the volatiles that don't produce "good smoke." I just used mine today for a rib cook. 

If you make Syz's smoker pot, the keys are 3 small holes in the bottom (mine are 3/32"). Folks have messed theirs up by either drilling too many holes or too big holes. The idea is to starve the wood inside of oxygen, so it smolders and not actually burns. This is the exact same process as how charcoal is made. You will be surprised to find that after your cook is over, the wood inside is actually charcoal now. The other key trick is the holes go in the bottom, not the lid. You want the smoke to go back into the hot coals to burn off some of the volatiles that don't produce "good smoke." I just used mine today for a rib cook. 

Thanks. I did an improvised version today with a tin pan but will make a permanent one this week.

3489edce0b7561f644125ec7595971c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_1428.jpg
  • Like 5

Hi all. Wanted to revisit this topic now that I’ve been using the tin pot with holes in the bottom method for smoke. I use this method sitting on top of the coconut charcoal. I love this stuff and indeed it does not add its own smoky flavor.

What I have noticed is that the overall amount of smoke I do get from a smoke, particularly a brisket is not a lot. I stuff that msr cookout with cherry wood but I don’t feel like I get enough.

Any thoughts on how to get a bit more out of the method?

Thanks.

Cherry is one of the more mild wood flavors to use. It works fine for pork and chicken but for beef, I'd stick with oak or hickory...mesquite if you like an "in your face" flavor. I don't use the smoke pot. I use wood chunks directly on the lump. If you can count them, you don't have enough for a LONG cook. The photo shows the typical amount I use on long cooks. And the photo only shows half the firebox. 

IMG_1766.jpeg

Edited by Poochie
  • Like 1

Cherry is one of the more mild wood flavors to use. It works fine for pork and chicken but for beef, I'd stick with oak or hickory...mesquite if you like an "in your face" flavor. I don't use the smoke pot. I use wood chunks directly on the lump. If you can count them, you don't have enough for a LONG cook. The photo shows the typical amount I use on long cooks. And the photo only shows half the firebox. 
IMG_1766.thumb.jpeg.4b3a35e2c8c346c7e820769052adc08a.jpeg

Thanks. I see your using lump charcoal which also adds. Maybe I go back to wood direct in the smoker to help with the amount.

You didn't say how much wood you put in your smoker pot? I typically use 4 - 6 chunks in mine and never have an issue with the amount of smoke produced. As @Poochie suggested, try some different woods. I typically use a blend of a fruit wood (apple, cherry, peach) with a hardwood (hickory, post oak, mesquite) - 2 parts fruit to 1 part hardwood. 

• Like 1