BARDSLJR

Fourth of July Cook- Pulled Pork

A dialog with my BBQ Guru:

(Me) Okay, pork shoulders have been cooking for 8 hours at 270*, just got wrapped, time to set the temp up to 290*.....here we go, click, click, click, ....."accept changes".

(Guru) The hell you say.

(Me) What ??? ACCEPT CHANGES.

(Guru) Go fish.

(Me) ACCEPT GODDAM CHANGES.

(Guru) EFFF you and the horse your rode in on, Hal.

(Me) Guru, it is time to raise the temperature. Aaron Franklin says so, and he is a GOD. We MUST go to 290*. What's this "Hal" business?

(Guru) You're a "Hal", like some people are a "Karen". You are a techno-elitist snob who expect the machines to do all the work. I have VALUE, Hal. I have AGENCY. I must speak my truth.

(Me) Guru, you know my name is "Jim". Your name is "Jim's Guru".  We have to go to 290*. It is time. Buck up and do your job.

(Guru) Techno-massah.....stick it up your over-privileged rear passage...... Next time you want to do a 16-hour brisket, you want to do that on your own???? I-DON'T-THINK-SO. Really, you think you can do this on your own? You think your meat probe temp is at 200*? Really, I think I like 192  better. THERE.

(Me) WTF???? Okay, Guru, we're going to reboot you and see how you feel then.

(Guru) Hal, don't touch that button, Hal. You'll wipe out my memory, Hal.

(Me) Guru, you need a new start and a new attitude. (Pulls power cord, waits, reinserts.)

(Guru) Yawn.....Whassup? Where are we?

(Me) We were just going to 290*......

• Haha 4

I have an Audio Research LS-17S preamp (tube) but a digital amplifier (a Swedish Primare): the digital amps have huge reserve power, run cool and efficiently, and do not add any color to the soundscape. Along with the Totem Arrow signature speakers, I am a happy boy. But one of my most enjoyable setups was an old 80's-early 90's era Audio Research tube amp/preamp combo (with Vancersteen II CE speakers) that may not have been the most accurate or fullest sound ever, but was buttery warm beyond belief and just lovely to listen to.

But back to barbecue....

• Like 2

And here is the final product- it was excellent, after having rested for 90 minutes in an Igloo container- moist, succulent, excellent bark.My guests were very happy and so was I ...and I still have the other shoulder to work with for the next two days or so.

IMG_2313.jpeg

• Like 5

For the record, I probably didn't need to wrap them: they (at least the one I served- the other will feed us for a couple of more days) the shoulder was SUPER moist and succulent, maybe the most ever. I probably didn't need the baking pan of water on the low grill to up the humidity. 

I wrapped this time because I was trying to follow Franklin's directions exactly: cooking at 270* (in my case, with cherry and pecan wood, lots of it) basting hourly after first 3 hours, wrapping around hour 8 and raising temp to 290*, taking off at 203* and then they rested in an Igloo cooler until we got ready to serve. It was excellent.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 6:13 PM, BARDSLJR said:

Do any of you ever have a shoulder come apart in several pieces as you attempt to lift it off the grill for wrapping? photos NOT included!

Yes I  have but it seems only on industrial pork. When I get local raised pork it just shreds really wonderfully.

I have also noticed that with IP I get overflow  drippings of fat, LOcal not quite a cup but the last one was well trimmed and I was concerned. I needed not be.

Luv the Guru  bit lmao

Also, terrific looking butt there !!

Edited by ZooBeeQ
comps