johnnymnemonic

vacuum sealers

2 hours ago, Sharky said:

Just to clarify my earlier post - when sealing liquid stock I go down to about 0.8 bar pressure (or 0.2 bar of vacuum) just to ensure a good “squeeze “ on the sealing strip without boiling the liquid. 

That's good advice for using a chamber machine to package liquids.

I have both a chamber machine and an impulse sealer, and I make stock all the time. If it was faster to use the chamber machine, or even just more reliable or less finicky, I'd use the chamber machine. For me, it's faster and easier to burp the air out of the bag, against a counter edge, and use an impulse sealer.

I'd make an exception if the chamber machine was a few feet away from the stock (mine isn't though I like the exercise; I routinely walk each packet out separately as I prefer the walk to waiting). Then, following your advice, dial in the exact seconds needed to reach 0.2 bar of vacuum so the chamber machine can complete its job unattended. Get the next packet ready..

I have three of the steam table trays shown in my earlier post. They're just deep enough to take the weight off a packet of stock, and the metal conducts heat so all packets freeze quickly. My freezer just has room to stagger the trays so each rim supports the next.

• Like 2

I'm looking at chamber sealers now; any fresh advice or recommendations?

I understand the difference between the dry and oil pumps and know the oil pump is more better, but have any of you actually had a dry pump fail?

Any issues with using my remaining stock of the textured foodsaver material in a chamber vac machine? My sister stopped using hers and gave me her remaining rolls; she bought one of these those QVC "deals" so it's a pretty good inventory. My edge sealer is on its last leg so I won't be passing it on to anyone else.

ANOVA has recently introduced a chamber sealer; anyone seen it? It's a dry pump but relatively inexpensive and they're known for they're customer service. https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

2 hours ago, jeffshoaf said:

I'm looking at chamber sealers now; any fresh advice or recommendations?

I understand the difference between the dry and oil pumps and know the oil pump is more better, but have any of you actually had a dry pump fail?

Any issues with using my remaining stock of the textured foodsaver material in a chamber vac machine? My sister stopped using hers and gave me her remaining rolls; she bought one of these those QVC "deals" so it's a pretty good inventory. My edge sealer is on its last leg so I won't be passing it on to anyone else.

ANOVA has recently introduced a chamber sealer; anyone seen it? It's a dry pump but relatively inexpensive and they're known for they're customer service. https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

I own and use a JVR Vac 100. I used my old Food Saver bags in it just fine until I ran out and moved exclusively to the chamber vac bags. I've been extremely impressed with how the Vac100 works and they have come out with an extra sealing bar for Retort/Mylar bags which is nice because it basically handles anything I could throw at it for any purpose

• Like 1

I've used Food Savers for years. I also replace them about every 5 to 8 years. The trick I found is to help it seal a bag. Put both hands on it and press down while in the "vacuum mode" and you'll get a good seal every single time. Liquids are no different except you can press the "seal" button when the liquid approaches the sealing area. The last thing I need is another boat anchor on my counter. But good luck on what ever you choose. 

I'm leaning towards the Avid Armor chamber sealers, most likely the USV32: https://avidarmor.com/avid-armor-ultra-series-usv32-chamber-vacuum-sealer-system/, but may go with the smaller USV20 if it restocked first (they're both out of stock). The larger model is larger (😁) and had a stainless steel interior, while the smaller one has a plastic kind interior (con) and an accessory port. These do use a dry pump but I'm not prepared to pay for one with an oil pump or deal with the extra size/weight.

Something I discovered while researching these is that concern about the chamber capacity can be mitigated by reversing a regular textured vac bag so it's hanging outside the chamber with the open end clamped in the sealer bar so the chamber sealer acts as a regular channel sealer.

Something else I stumbled on while researching is freeze drying at home; I have absolutely no need or real use for a freeze drying appliance but...

1 hour ago, swoff1 said:

Chamber VAc    If your looking for one. LEM  Chamber Vac  has served me well Costco Currently has these instock at leas in my store and you can purchace online.$650 versus

1100 directly from LEM.

Thanks! I'm going to have to store it between uses and I think this one is a bit too heavy to move around much.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cheesehead_Griller said:

@David Chang The code didn't work for me. Why did you chose the chamber vac? I'm debating which model to get. 

humm, i see a banner up top the anovaculinary.com website for the code. maybe its location specific. i am in asia. 

i chose this because it was the smallest chamber sealer for the price. around $350 after the discount. the other ones like polyscience, etc are too big and $$$. i also want to play with the pickle and infusion modes, but i think you can do that with any chamber sealer.

i also have had good experience using their precision oven, so i though this would be a good compliment in the kitchen. 

but this is still consumer level stuff, i would be surprised if it lasts more than 2-3 years..

8 hours ago, Cheesehead_Griller said:

I think I'm going to go with the Vacmaster P210. Anyone else have experience with the Vacmaster chamber vac? 

I have two simpler Vacmaster machines in two locations. I held off on an oil pump because of weight, and the oil pump. Were I doing it over I'd get the oil pump, such as the VP215, and have a friend help me lift it.

Chamber machines are indispensable, I can't imagine going back. In each location friends also rely on my machine. For example, here in California my neighbor drives to buy us each whole salmon from the fisherman. Once he parses his up into servings, I vacuum pack for him to return the favor for the drive.

On 4/16/2022 at 8:38 AM, jeffshoaf said:

Not everyone has internalized into muscle memory how water boils at low pressures. If none of us have had a dry pump fail, it's because we realize that fouling the dry pump loses the machine, or at least requires extraordinary shipping fees to repair. When your box arrives look up what it would cost you to ship it back. Vendors negotiate better rates.

When one fouls an oil pump, one changes the oil.

There are many expressions of satisfaction with every level of machine, in the various posts above. One way to read this is that you can train yourself to be happy with a purchase at every level. I don't drive a $200K car, and I'm happy with my car. Another way to read this is that every responder is in good psychological health, but most don't make comparisons from personal experience.

I went through many Foodsaver machines, then a couple of very high end clamp machines, and I now own two Vacmaster dry pump chamber machines and two $50 impulse sealers. I seal liquids "freehand" using the impulse sealers (practice on chamber bags of water) and everything else using the chamber machines.

I simply cannot conceive of going backwards, the quality of a chamber machine seal is so superior. This isn't "this rich person's stereo sounds better than mine", this is how sealing is supposed to work, everything else is a poor imitation. In transition I'd find those textured Foodsaver bags in our chest freezer, and I wanted to discard them from unconscious revulsion. If the contents weren't too old, I'd instead repackage them. Chamber sealed bags last longer in the freezer. I can't explain it, but it's obvious when you see it. (Get 4 mil bags, not 3 mil, and protect against bone spurs with scraps of bags or the official pieces of plastic they sell.)

The oil pumps achieve a stronger vacuum, that's why I want one next. Any chamber machine achieves a worse vacuum when cold (think space shuttle o-ring failure). We keep ours in an unheated room; I finally learned that one of those food service infrared lamps used to warm french fries can serve to heat our chamber machine before winter use. Just don't use the heat lamp with the lid up: there's a square law at play. I could post a picture that would render it unnecessary to explain the math.

Edited by Syzygies

30 minutes ago, Syzygies said:

Not everyone has internalized into muscle memory how water boils at low pressures. If none of us have had a dry pump fail, it's because we realize that fouling the dry pump loses the machine, or at least requires extraordinary shipping fees to repair. When your box arrives look up what it would cost you to ship it back. Vendors negotiate better rates.

When one fouls an oil pump, one changes the oil.

There are many expressions of satisfaction with every level of machine, in the various posts above. One way to read this is that you can train yourself to be happy with a purchase at every level. I don't drive a $200K car, and I'm happy with my car. Another way to read this is that every responder is in good psychological health, but most don't make comparisons from personal experience.

I went through many Foodsaver machines, then a couple of very high end clamp machines, and I now own two Vacmaster dry pump chamber machines and two $50 impulse sealers. I seal liquids "freehand" using the impulse sealers (practice on chamber bags of water) and everything else using the chamber machines.

I simply cannot conceive of going backwards, the quality of a chamber machine seal is so superior. This isn't "this rich person's stereo sounds better than mine", this is how sealing is supposed to work, everything else is a poor imitation. In transition I'd find those textured Foodsaver bags in our chest freezer, and I wanted to discard them from unconscious revulsion. If the contents weren't too old, I'd instead repackage them. Chamber sealed bags last longer in the freezer. I can't explain it, but it's obvious when you see it. (Get 4 mil bags, not 3 mil, and protect against bone spurs with scraps of bags or the official pieces of plastic they sell.)

The oil pumps achieve a stronger vacuum, that's why I want one next. Any chamber machine achieves a worse vacuum when cold (think space shuttle o-ring failure). We keep ours in an unheated room; I finally learned that one of those food service infrared lamps used to warm french fries can serve to heat our chamber machine before winter use. Just don't use the heat lamp with the lid up: there's a square law at play. I could post a picture that would render it unnecessary to explain the math.

Great info. Thanks. 

So, my research has led me in a new direction. I think I am going to go with the JVR Vac100. Has an oil pump, accessory port, and a low-profile form factor. Reviews on YouTube seem to be quite positive.