jeffshoaf

Gloves for prep work?

I've been watching a lot of cooking videos and shows and notice a lot of both professional and amateur cooks/chefs wearing rubber gloves to do food prep. I don't like wearing them; I find them hot and uncomfortable although I do give then serious consideration when applying rubs with my perpetually cut and knicked up hands and fingers. I understand the concerns about cross contamination but I'm careful to wash my hands often when dealing with that possibility. I just don't see the need in a home environment with fewer time constraints than found in a restaurant or catering environment.

So... Do you wear gloves during prep? If so, why?

Like @Dono I have a pair of gloves for loading charcoal and moving grates around.  I don't generally use gloves for food prep but sometimes use the cheap blue ones that come in a box of 100 when I am handling very hot chillis or doing something stupid, like trying to stuff a baby squid.  Good news for me is that I saw someone using a piping bag to stuff squid the other day so I won't be doing that by hand ever again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm similar. Gloves in the kitchen only when chopping a bunch of chili peppers or mixing up that crazy staining annatto paste. For everything else, I have a big bottle of hand sanitizer (thanks to COVID) after washing my hands after handling raw meat and a spray bottle of StarSan for the knives/tongs/scissors, countertops, and cutting boards. I have insulated gloves for handling the grates and meats on the grill. 

• Like 1