PVPAUL

Replacing Fiber gasket for Damper Top

Hello All, I need to replace the fiber gasket (for top damper) and looking for advise / instructions on how to do this? Looking for how to remove old one and how to best replace the new one. Good news is Dennis always includes this as a spare part so I have the gasket on hand. 

Thanks!

Paul

How bad is your current gasket? I didn’t replace mine until it literally came off.

If you choose to change your gasket, there are a number of threads on the subject, but if you can’t find one, I’ll be happy to explain how I did mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The current gasket needs replacing for sure. I did find a thread started in June of 2010 by ThreeDJ16 which had some new postings added to it as recently as March of this year. Unfortunately I was not able to open the photos from the original post but I think I have this figured out. 

One question I have is to confirm that the extra gasket included with the KK is already properly sized and therefore does not require trimming etc? I believe going back to 2010 the fiber gasket was just a length of rope (so to speak) and therefore had to be measured and cut to size. The one's included now are already a circle, ends fused together. 

Other than that I believe I just need to thoroughly clean out the old one and and clean out the recessed area thoroughly and apply high temperature silicon (Permatex) and apply a weight evenly, and carefully apply pressure and let it set up for about 24 hours. 

Any additional suggestions / comments welcome.

All the best,

Paul

If anyone can please confirm that would be great.

Thanks,

Paul

• Thanks 1

Thanks 5698k, I will give the Dixie plate a try. I did get out the old one successfully and cleaned up the area where gasket seats and confirmed the extra gasket included with grill is correct size. Now it’s off to the hardware store for some high temp silicone adhesive and Dixie plates.

thanks 

I just did mine last week. Here are the instructions Dennis sent me 

“Permatex 27037 Optimum Black Gasket Maker 3.35 oz

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-27037-Optimum-Black-Gasket/dp/B072MRCG8W/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1528048747&sr=1-6&keywords=Permatex+Black+Silicone+Gasket+Maker

You will want to put a bead down in the groove on the lid.. place the new gasket in the material.

Please cut a piece of cardboard round, a little larger then your damper top.. cut a hole for the big shaft in the middle.. Place the cardboard over the gasket and tape around the perimeter so it does not move..
now carefully install the damper top thru the hole and slowly tighten making sure the cardboard does not move.. leave overnight and you are set

The secret to the gasket living forever is not to tighten really tight at high temps then open it up again while hot. the silicone softens at high temps and tears from the torque..
 You can close it and open it at temp but not torque it tight which you actually never have to do to cut the airflow//“

• Thanks 2

Trouble, thanks for sending this over. I clicked on the link and ordered the Permatex which is due to arrive on Friday. I don't do much high temperature cooking but appreciate this information, makes sense.

Thank you all for your help on this,

Paul

• Like 1