C6Bill

Porchetta for Friday

Well from what I have been reading I think I have a plan in place. It is a 9.1 pound Porchetta from Snake River Farms. But of course any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. I did a test fitting to check center of gravity, I still might just use the spit but we will see. the torture chamber might be a little overkill for just a 9 pound roast. Thanks in advance

Cook direct on rotisserie 

Add drip tray if there are flare ups or getting too crisp

385 to 400 degrees, 3 hours ???

Set it out for 10 to 12 hours to draw moisture out of skin prior to cooking

Pat dry and add a little baking powder to the rub to help crisping the skin, I have pork lard for basting is needed.

E324127D-1BFB-4155-B2A7-C5F164D7E73D.jpeg

• Like 3

Looking good Bill.
At that temp, direct, I’d expect it to start dripping at the 20 minute mark and may require an indirect tray under it after 30 minutes.
Once you are 25- 30f from your end temp I’d crank up the heat for the last 20 mins and keep it indirect if you want a crisp skin.
The KK will respond pretty quickly given it’ll be well heat soaked by then.
But then again, there’s a dozen other strategies to take into this cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

18 hours ago, C6Bill said:

But of course any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

I'm reasonably certain that you plan to thaw and unwrap it before the cook.

Nevertheless, this reminds me of a great trail meal, as a kid. I was a junior counselor on a series of weeklong summer camp backpacking trip in the Adirondack high peaks. Freeze dried dinners were too new and unaffordable, but we had a decent series of conventionally dried stews one simmered for dinner. What do they say? Exercise is the best seasoning.

We were particularly excited about making dinner one night, because we remembered that meal tasting better than anything else last trip. Dumping the contents of the pouch in question into the simmering water, this time we noticed a flavor pouch floating in the stew. Spices. In thick plastic.

"Do you remember this pouch from last trip?"

Edited by Syzygies
  • Haha 2

Well to say it was good would be an understatement. And we archived crackling :) 

I should have payed more attention to the fire as it migrated to the right side but I was a little distracted while it was cooking. It was a birthday party after all 🥳

The fire wanted to burn more to the right side of the smoke pot but that's ok. It still came out extremely moist and tender. We took the drip pan out for the last 15 minutes to get the nice crackling. It was so good, I will absolutely be doing this again !!!

IMG_3057.jpeg

IMG_3068.jpeg

IMG_3073.jpeg

IMG_3077.jpeg

• Like 6

That looks amazing- I've decided to give porchetta a try this weekend, but have purchased a considerably smaller one (1.5kg; 3-3.5lb). Was hoping to try my first Roti cook with it; should I aim for similar temp, but a bit less time? Trying to get my head around planning the cook....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, remi said:

That looks amazing- I've decided to give porchetta a try this weekend, but have purchased a considerably smaller one (1.5kg; 3-3.5lb). Was hoping to try my first Roti cook with it; should I aim for similar temp, but a bit less time? Trying to get my head around planning the cook....

We went without a drip pan for about 25 minutes then 2 hours with the drip pan. And my temp stayed a solid 380 the entire cook. When i did open it to insert the drip pan i did it fast but also closed down the vents just a little so the fire wouldn't run away from me. Then as mentioned earlier we removed the drip pan for the last 15 minutes. For the 3 to 3.5 pounder I would think you may only need 30 minutes with the drip pan. We pulled this off with an internal temp of about 125 on one end and 135 on the other. The carry over took care of bringing the lower side up to 140. And the side that carried over higher than my target of 140 was still really good. The only thing i will do different next time is leave out the smoke pot for better fire control. And maybe pay better attention to the fire ,instead of paying all of my attention to my guest, while we were cooking. But we did have 2 hours to fill while it was cooking :) 

Edited by C6Bill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1