cavedweller

Newbee to the KomodoKamado but an egg cooker for a good while.

I was very fortunate to buy a 23" KK used from someone who had used it twice (maybe once). It's less than 4 years old. In Mobile Alabama it's a rainy humid place.

The lid lift spring is rusty and the side tables need to be cleaned and or reconditioned - any advice would be great..

The stone inside the grill seems to have been exposed to water? maybe it sat in the rain... but it has pitting/sandy stuff coming loose on one side -  Any advise on care of the stone would be nice

It was pretty easy setting a proper lift assist load on the spring. Well thought out design.

Prior to this lucky KomodoKamado purchase i had been using komodokamado extruded coconut charcoal in my other egg.

I like to cook things like prime rib standing roasts or big ol turkeys on my earthenware cookers, so I am hoping to master (Low n Slow) fire start ups on this komodokamado, so I don't chase the temperature all day long - any advise would be helpful.

In the pictures below there are a few things I'm not to sure about.... #1 is the rotisserie (i do not have a motor) just the cage seen? Also the smallish parts are somewhat of a mystery to me. Is there a schematic showing when where and how to use them?

Thanks again to Dennis!  Good dining to all of you.

02EBA575-E4EA-4A8D-BD42-2B0BA0F3C14F.jpeg

7AE1F7A9-518E-4849-B687-ED8C626A1FAD.jpeg

0D6EC3AD-7D1E-4672-8D5E-2BC0D8B5010E.jpeg

Edited by cavedweller
dyslexia strikes - correction made for size
  • Like 1

Congrats and welcome. Starting from the bottom you have the rotisserie bracket and the three shafts, two are for the cage that I see in your picture, the third one is for the rotisserie spit which you do not appear to have. At least not pictures. But the two shafts that are used with the cage attach with the cotter pin also pictured. There is a great video posted by @tekobo that shows how all that sets up. Can you add a photo of the interior so folks can see what you are dealing with inside ? There are many here who know a lot more than I do and I’m sure they will chime in soon. This is a rather exclusive club so not as busy as a BGE forum but the members here are great as far as sharing knowledge of not just the KK but of cooking in general. Lots of GREAT cooks here 😁

1 hour ago, cavedweller said:

I was very fortunate to buy a Big Bad 32" used from someone who had used it twice (maybe once).

Please don't shoot the messenger... Your grill  is a 23" Ultimate not a 32" Big Bad.
You have your side  tables reversed.. the square point goes in the rear and mimics the shape of the grill.±
Best to use maroon Scotchbrite to remove the stains and oxidation on the teak..

• Like 3

Welcome to the Obsession! You've just graduated in your BBQ cooking to Master level over your BGE. 

If the "stone" that you are referring to is the "heat deflector" then don't sweat the damage - you don't need to use it - most of us don't. If it's the pizza stone, then you probably need to replace it - assuming that you want to make pizza or bake bread? As noted, a picture would be helpful in sorting that out for you. 

Yes, as noted, those are parts for the rotisserie. If you want to use it, here's the recommended motor for it (Dennis does not sell them). 

Grill Rotisserie Motor Universal Heavy Duty Electric Operated Replacement (onegrill.com)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

Please don't shoot the messenger... Your grill  is a 23" Ultimate not a 32" Big Bad.
You have your side  tables reversed.. the square point goes in the rear and mimics the shape of the grill.±

Ahhhh its a dyslexia strikes again! Thank you Dennis - i have ordered the maroon scotchbrite from amazon and will swap the table tops when i get home.... now that i know i couldn't possibly sleep with them being installed backwards. While i am asking questions.... Should i make provisions above the egg to protect the ceiling of my front porch from heat if i am searing a steak? Also since the 23" ultimate was outside in the rain should i re-heat it to drive out moisture? The lid didn't seem unduly heavy and adjusted easily.  @DennisLinkletter

Edited by cavedweller
add info

Well found cave dweller, and welcome.
If you suspect there has been water damage, proceed slowly and don’t crank the heat up too high too quickly. Maybe leave the lid up on a bright, sunny, dry day- preferably low humidity.
What’s the height from KK to ceiling? I doubt the ceiling will need protection, the heat mostly dissipates above 1m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

FYI - you shouldn't be grilling with the lid open anyway; it's bad for the gaskets. 

Correct thank you tony, Lid up on a dry, sunny, low humidity day, With no fire burning.
I’m not sure I’d want to be lighting any fire within a KK if there is suspected moisture inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 6:51 AM, C6Bill said:

Congrats and welcome. Starting from the bottom you have the rotisserie bracket and the three shafts, two are for the cage that I see in your picture, the third one is for the rotisserie spit which you do not appear to have. At least not pictures. But the two shafts that are used with the cage attach with the cotter pin also pictured. There is a great video posted by @tekobo that shows how all that sets up. Can you add a photo of the interior so folks can see what you are dealing with inside ? There are many here who know a lot more than I do and I’m sure they will chime in soon. This is a rather exclusive club so not as busy as a BGE forum but the members here are great as far as sharing knowledge of not just the KK but of cooking in general. Lots of GREAT cooks here 😁

Maybe you or another know what this T handle thing is: 

6B9C0EC8-89B1-4654-BBC7-A4DE3C0F9D52.jpeg

A681C6C5-CB67-45CE-A28C-010D1191856F.jpeg

On 8/30/2021 at 7:35 AM, DennisLinkletter said:

Looking like I need another cotter pin Sir 🙏 maybe they can include with my order today? @DennisLinkletter