Troble

Non KK cooks

But, Inquiring Minds Like Our Would Like To Know - where were the roasting potatoes underneath the chicken thighs in that wood oven? That pan arrangement just screams out for roasting veggies underneath dripping meats!

Edited by tony b

@tony b, I actually intended to roast potatoes with the chicken but 1) I foolishly got the oven temp up to 550°C and had to wait over an hour to let it reduce to 400°C (which was still 200° hotter than I wanted) and at that temperature, the thighs took less than 20 minutes to cook and 2) I had some leftover linguine + pesto from the night before and decided to use it for the starch instead. But, yes, the pan would do great for roasting potatoes, etc. It is about 12 gauge steel so isn't going to flex or buck in the heat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2023 at 5:17 PM, jonj said:

And yes, these mutant monsters are actually thighs

I would've like to have see the rest of the bird looking at those thighs. I better stop there, could end up in trouble pursuing a thigh conversation. Looked great though.

• Haha 1

some recent cooks on the bincho grill. too hot to cook on the roof during the day, so i have to cook on the balcony.

there's a charcoal chimney called Firestack Duo by Yak Grills that I really like using with open charcoal grills like this. you can start the charcoal in the chimney and keep the lit charcoal for reuse next time in a container that nests inside the chimney.

image.thumb.png.b35629f9a8b5750fb5d62e0f1c68a405.png

image.thumb.png.c27e4fd12b65265e3f21054ea8bb91c6.png

image.thumb.png.6f408ef0e1b906fb9e90d9b6e5efb4ab.png

image.thumb.png.4911276b8216ed6b9162121305dea8d8.png

image.thumb.png.93c6012152aa007947ca1f8aeb6cb504.png

• Like 5

@tony b beef stock (home made not in a box) reduced to demi glace (maybe 15-20% volume). saute shallots in butter, add demi, add cream. add some cognac if you like and flambe it but i didn't have any.  bring to boil and reduce to spoon coat. season. no measurements just eyeball!

Edited by David Chang
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, David Chang said:

in pursuit of the ultimate aged steak, i don’t think grain fed US beef if giving me the flavour i want. i think the way to go is spanish beef.

The breed of animal also makes a big difference.  I like Dexter beef and also Longhorn.  It would be worth checking on breed as well as how the animal is fed as you progress with your mission.

My ultimate steak was aged 198 days (I had been trying to hit 200 but I counted wrong!).  Not sure I would go to that trouble again but we very much enjoyed it.  Link to the post I put up at the time.  

• Like 1

@tekobo the problem is i have little access to bone in sub-primals. we certainly get a lot of variety. korean, american, australian, japanese beef, but nothing suitable for dry ageing because nobody in hong kong has the means to dry age at home besides restaurants and idiots like me. so everything is sold as single portion cuts. i can however buy from restaurant wholesalers, but they offer pretty generic beef. usually american or australian grainfed. i can buy french polmard, but they are single serving cuts. and there's a guy that can get me rubia gallega sub-primals but it costs a fortune..

and on top of that my wife says she doesn't like dry aged anything. well that's just great..😂

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2

Yummy cauliflower bake with harissa based marinade and peppers.  I have made this at least 6 times and It is probably the only meal that would persuade me to become a vegetarian.

Before 

image.thumb.jpeg.724990719d3d369e92c7bc52215295fb.jpeg

and after about an hour at 180C 

image.thumb.jpeg.a58a713635ec3e157bc6803774a8948c.jpeg

It is another Ottolenghi recipe, this time from his Flavour book.  i have no affiliation with him other than loving the things he does with vegetables.  Link to online copy of the recipe is here https://www.irishexaminer.com/recipes/?c-recipeid=4124  I freestyle with the different types of pepper flakes, using what I've got rather than what he asks for and make my own rose harissa.  Never disappoints.  

• Like 5