Tuck

First Chicken Cook

Finally got around to cooking some chicken on the KK, pollo a la brasa! Chicken always came out nice and moist on my Primo but this was next level. Hard to believe that the extra insulation and reduced air flow can make that much of a difference but it does. Best chicken I’ve ever grilled! I love this new grill! Probably going to order the rotisserie to make it authentic. 

04B69B7F-CFC6-4DCA-965F-8C5FA8404D42.jpeg

A29EF17D-A2D1-4878-B295-B9140BED8F8A.jpeg

DF478D5D-BF35-4997-B5F1-84633454FB65.jpeg

• Like 10

@Troble I used a bought marinade for the chicken. Probably not as good as the recipe you posted ( gonna give it a try) but it’s good and easy. 
Here is the sauce recipe I adapted some from one I found on line:

1/2 cup Mayo

1/2 cup sour cream

2 Tbsp Ají Amarillo paste

1 1/2 cup cilantro

1 jalapeño 

2 cloves garlic 

1/2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp cayenne 

2 Tbsp olive oil

Kosher salt & black pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in food processor 

F14A32B0-A892-40A6-A71A-21776623295A.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/17/2021 at 12:25 AM, Tuck said:

Chicken always came out nice and moist on my Primo but this was next level. Hard to believe that the extra insulation and reduced air flow can make that much of a difference but it does. Best chicken I’ve ever grilled! I love this new grill! 

The actual insulation and reduced airflow will get you more retained moisture and condensation of vapor for that is the smoked/charcoal flavor.  It's not extra because the glazed pot Kamados are not insulated. A dense glazed material by definition is not insulating. Touch a hot one to check. 

It's not the low airflow that makes the chicken amazing..  it's the large volume of hot-face that holds heat and creates convection heat to cook your birdie from all directions. Moisture moves away from the heat source and evaporates. 
If the heat source is uniform from all directions your food will  have more retained moisture.  When convection ovens came out chefs all  ranted and raved about how much better the food was.. This is also why KK's bake so well.  I love to do my chickens on the upper grate to best utilize this brick oven cooking environment and it's best for browning.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tuck said:

@Troble I used a bought marinade for the chicken. Probably not as good as the recipe you posted ( gonna give it a try) but it’s good and easy. 
Here is the sauce recipe I adapted some from one I found on line:

Thanks Tuck. Really appreciate it and will definitely give it a try!!!