cavedweller

Single tile and caulking / mastic

So I’m up and cooking and during rotisserie set up and discovered one missing tile. How does one find a matching one?

i haven’t found any tiles or caulking or grout mastic on the Komodo Kamado site so does anyone know where I can acquire this stuff ? Picture shows the tile I need.

Also I was surprised by the moisture that dripped out of the Komodo onto the deck when I fired it up to 500 degrees. I know it had sat unused for a long time. It’s new home is inside a covered porch,  but mobile alabama is a humid place. I know to keep the damper on top open now so I’m hoping the condensation is a thing of the past.

9F2FBE6A-5E18-4341-996B-0172719EC626.jpeg

You should have received some tiles from the same batch in your repair kit with your KK, plus some grout to attach it. 

Where was this moisture dripping from? If it was from the lower vent, that's normal during some cooks. Were you trying to do your "burn in?" Then some weeping from around the tiles is to be expected.

You should always leave your top vent slightly open after you've shut down the fire in your KK. Otherwise, it will contract as it cools down and be a major PITA to open on your next cook. You should also leave the top lid in the 1st position on the latch to not compress the gaskets - it will extend their life. I target a 50F drop in dome temperature to signal that the fire is out and it's OK to crack open the vent and lift the lid to the 1st position before putting on the cover.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like you may be the new owner and not the original buyer.. If that’s the case and you do not have the replacements you might try this link for the grout:

https://komodokamado.com/search?type=product&q=grout&submit=Search

there is also info on how to contact Dennis, he would be able to help with replacement tiles.  Good luck!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dono said:

Sounds like you may be the new owner and not the original buyer.. If that’s the case and you do not have the replacements you might try this link for the grout:

https://komodokamado.com/search?type=product&q=grout&submit=Search

there is also info on how to contact Dennis, he would be able to help with replacement tiles.  Good luck!

yep - bought it from a friend

His original post indicated it was used when he got it and it had spent some time in the rain. I suspect it has accumulated some moisture prior to his ownership and the 500° burn was acting like a burn-in. It might be a good idea to actually do a burn-in with a little higher temp to be sure the excess moisture is out.

• Like 1