mguerra

Ash Clean Out

We have discussed it many times over the years. Use a shop vac with a cartridge filter and drywall bags. No need to get down on your knees scraping ash out through a little hole. Remove the charcoal basket, just stand up straight, use one or two wands, suck all the ash out in less than a minute. Do it before a cook, so all the embers are cold and out. Easy, fast, no bending, and zero ash dust flying around while you dump a pan of ash in to a receptacle. No need for an expensive live ember vacuum.

I don't have a shop vac.  I tape a paper bag over the vent door and sweep it in with a brush.  I rarely do a good job with the taping, so I do get ash leaking out the sides as I do it.  I don't clean it that often - I let it pile up until it gets high enough to start interfering with air flow.  

On 4/12/2022 at 11:53 PM, LK BBQ said:

I don't have a shop vac.  I tape a paper bag over the vent door and sweep it in with a brush.  I rarely do a good job with the taping, so I do get ash leaking out the sides as I do it.  I don't clean it that often - I let it pile up until it gets high enough to start interfering with air flow.  

You can get a large round metal dog food dish that slides part way under the KK and it'll catch whatever ashes fall out the door. 

I’ve avoided this debate as it is really a matter of preference.   That said, I wanted to say where I have ended up.  I did have a shop vac.  It took up space, needed to be plugged in and the filter needed cleaning at intervals to keep it functioning well. I got rid of it a few months ago.  It is so much easier to just lean in and sweep up with a small dust pan and brush like the one that @PVPAUL has.  In windy weather I just lower my collection bucket into the KK to keep the dust from blowing everywhere.  And the best news is that this method transfers easily to the pizza oven too. 

• Like 1