cavedweller

Vent?

16 minutes ago, cavedweller said:

Good to know - now I need to find a kk plug

anyone have a link ?

Those are the plugs you're looking for - the first really popular cabled remote probe-type thermometer was made by Polder so it used to be used as a generic name for that type of thermometer. Those plugs will fit the KK port that's leaking smoke in your pics.

• Thanks 1

You should have a bag of "spare plugs" in your repair kit that came with your KK. 

Yep, I've had troubles in the past with the rotisserie expanding and being difficult to remove once the cook is finished - a PITA sometimes. I trimmed my rotisserie rod down and one of the end pieces on the basket, too. One piece of advice, as I made this mistake - the pointy end on the rod unscrews and you should remove it after skewering your food, which shortens the rod about 1/4". It will help with the expansion issue, without trimming. Now, I have to leave the pointy end on, otherwise the rod is too short to reach the holes inside the KK. Doesn't make for the best fit. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 4:05 PM, Basher said:

Cavedweller you will have some black rubber plugs for that hole.
It’s for putting temperature probe cables into the KK.
How did the birds turn out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The birds were quite succulent very moist! I pulled at 160 and covered - they finished sitting at 168 degrees. I didn’t baste them as intended so the skin never got brown sugar brown. Guests were happy.

16 hours ago, tony b said:

You should have a bag of "spare plugs" in your repair kit that came with your KK. 

Yep, I've had troubles in the past with the rotisserie expanding and being difficult to remove once the cook is finished - a PITA sometimes. I trimmed my rotisserie rod down and one of the end pieces on the basket, too. One piece of advice, as I made this mistake - the pointy end on the rod unscrews and you should remove it after skewering your food, which shortens the rod about 1/4". It will help with the expansion issue, without trimming. Now, I have to leave the pointy end on, otherwise the rod is too short to reach the holes inside the KK. Doesn't make for the best fit. 

I used the large basket for this cook. But that’s really good info!

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2021 at 4:05 PM, Basher said:

Cavedweller you will have some black rubber plugs for that hole.
It’s for putting temperature probe cables into the KK.
How did the birds turn out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The birds were roasting hens.... quite large as chickens go. I cooked them at 300 degrees F.  The meat was succulent, very moist, and I removed them a few degrees below rec. cooking temp and covered tightly to allow them to finish off the KK. I have since learned my lack of a crispy skin and golden color were the result of insufficient KK temp. Oh well. I figured since roasting hens were fatter, it would be wise to cook slower to render most of the fat out. Lesson learned. BUT i also learned something else by accident. The Connecha sausage fell out of the rotisserie directly into the glowing coals; must of sat it the embers for at least 5 minutes.

Low and behold, i found myself and my guests ranting about the flavor and texture of the Connecha! Like a reverse seared steak i guess. I will be using this technique again and again in the future.

• Like 4