RokDok

Rabbit Holes and Chicken Three Ways

Mrs RD & I had a fabulous weekend staying with @tekobo and @Sharky in their lovely home.

Our culinary experience is mainly UK / Europe / Indian / S.E.Asian and @tekobo was once again about to open our eyes to things new.

Mexico beckoned - @Troble has already excited us with his accounts of Mexican cuisine just south of the border and when things have settled a bit - that is going to be our next long haul backpack destination.

We arrived to find this sitting in the 32" : ( Sorry the pic was taken as we were about to tuck in )

IMG_3082.thumb.jpeg.ad24adde0990c16a391d71cdd772e398.jpeg

Veal Short Ribs.

( We'd had delightfully seared tuna loin as a starter )

This was to be the tortilla filling.

@tekobo and been lured to the burrow entrance by @Syzygies, and had clearly emerged triumphant.

The corn kernels had been cooked and treated with lime and prepared to go into the recommended Indian made roller grinder to make the tortilla dough.

Here's a picture of it in action , with Mrs RD gazing into it as if it were a crystal ball. It's her birthday next year - maybe my choice of present has been made easier.

IMG_3080.thumb.jpeg.89770f3cde108a5c27e387989bd09fcf.jpeg

We were introduced into the ways of the tortilla press and the result was just amazing.

Tekobo gave us a packet of Maseca and lent us a tortilla press from her collection and as the haze lifted we saw this rabbit hole.......

Three-Way Chicken was a friendly bet which will have to wait for the moment as there is a break in the weather and I need to sort he vegetables out and harvest the hops....

Cheers RD

• Like 12

1 hour ago, tony b said:

You mean like this?? Picked these over the weekend. That's a 3 gallon bucket. Maybe 25% of what's on the plant?

589647428_2021Hops.thumb.jpg.32c9b7a75324501cf21f4781a0d72a60.jpg

Sort of @tony b, yours look a hell of a lot longer than mine - I filled two of the plastic containers  - total weight was about 3 kg - that's about half the fuggles. Got the East Kent Golding and then the Cascade to do.

It takes ages - almost 3 hours to pick those - final trsualt goes down the hatch a bit quicker than that.

Note how there KK is keeping an eye on things.

What type are yours ?

IMG_3106.thumb.jpeg.56f8c569f611c0de9acbf2be71adb5c0.jpeg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, RokDok said:

Tekobo gave us a packet of Maseca and lent us a tortilla press from her collection and as the haze lifted we saw this rabbit hole.......

The perfect weekend.  Scaring friends by introducing them to Mr and Mrs RD as "people we met on the internet" AND seeing our new friends disappear down a rabblt hole head first.

It was lovely to see the RDs again and we had another fun weekend.  It's great.  I have a family issue and the Dok in RokDok helped me better understand what might be happening and prepared me for my conversations with my Dad's doctor.  The Brew in BrewDok helped me with my very first attempt at making cider.  Both very much worth the price of entry to this friendship which was RD moving up to a 32 KK on our recommendation.  Hurrah!

• Like 4

Thanks Tekobo.

I cooked a rotisserie chicken a few weeks ago and Mrs RD said that, altho it was OK, it was nowhere near as good as cooked by her in the oven indoors.

When I mentioned this to Tekobo a gauntlet whizzed past my ear.

So, chicken the first way was "Pollo al Matone" - Chicken in a brick - T had bought some brined chicken, spatchcocked one, seasoned it and placed it it a shallow terracotta dish with a loose (very loose) lid which compressed the chicken.

The second way was simply placing a trussed chicken ( one that she had brought over from Italy ) - into a small metallic baking tray, and placed these into her 23", thus :

IMG_3091.thumb.jpeg.ab984c0fcffe0a2ff374014776d4401e.jpeg

Note - over direct heat but high up.

Two other chicken ( ready brined too) were rotisseried indirectly on the 32" with the foil wrapped single bottomed tray beneath.

Meanwhile, the double bottomed drip tray was in the kitchen over a moderate heat on the stove and par-boiled potatoes were tossed in goose fat. The single bottomed tray was removed and the double bottomed tray with the potatoes were put in under the chicken to cook and crisp.

, IMG_3094.thumb.jpeg.8e49cb91f66a12e6fc568b4c9149bc6f.jpeg

Finally the chicken were given a direct blast over the direct heat to brown up 

IMG_3101.thumb.jpeg.993711c9952b9d9cb7df7d83662366ef.jpeg

Meanwhile Sharkey was in the kitchen reducing some stock and wine for a delicious gravy and the runner beans that had been picked earlier were boiled.

The chicken in the 23" were simply delicious - moist and lots of juices in the terra-cotta. 

The rotisserie chicken was moist and delicious - potatoes yummy and crisp - of course accompanied by appropriate beverage.

We didn't eat four chicken - Tekobo had prepared an extra one for a friend nearby whose husband was unwell and so they too had a delicious meal.

Mrs RD was converted, and it was my turn to be grilled as to why I hadn't achieved results like this.A kind of peace was restored when I suggested it was because I didn't have enough KKs.

Edited by RokDok
typo
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RokDok said:

Mrs RD was converted, and it was my turn to be grilled as to why I hadn't achieved results like this.A kind of peace was restored when I suggested it was because I didn't have enough KKs.

Ha ha ha ha.  :jester:  We'll turn you into a multi KK house yet....

1 hour ago, RokDok said:

accompanied by appropriate beverage

Our friends raved about @RokDok's beer.  Most of the stash he had brought for The Husband to enjoy was happily consumed by the unplanned guests who dropped in on Saturday night.  

And before @DennisLinkletter rocks up to tell us off for showing him pics of uncooked food on KKs, here are the pics I took later on of the cook on the 23.  I had to move one of the chooks down a level and that got @RokDok thinking that I might need another KK with even more space. Good thinking BatMan?

IMG_0249.thumb.jpeg.daaf61f4f786e127101de583722a8509.jpeg

IMG_0250.thumb.jpeg.a5873fd4f21a4eae9c7257c5b3e1f881.jpeg

IMG_0252.thumb.jpeg.e0d3a09b6e160363ed2582a0fc36a651.jpeg

I can just taste those fat soaked potatoes...

• Like 11

@RokDok - I just have the one plant of Cascade. It's about 15 years old now. That bucket full was air-dried for 5 days and I put them up in vacuum bags today - got 5 oz of dried. 

Those chickens all look amazing! I haven't done a matone in a long time. Got me thinking. I have a whole bird in the freezer. :scratch: 

• Like 3