jeffshoaf

Cold smoker in the rain?

2 hours ago, tony b said:

Sorry, no help here. But, I have run my Guru in the rain before - just put the controller in a ziploc bag with a bottom corner cut out for the wires. Be mindful of electrical safety, though. My power supply was in a protected spot. 

I have a set of plastic containers for my guru equipment (including the power supply) with holes cut in them for cables that I use when the weather is threatening -- I even have one that fits over the fan. I plan on doing the same for the cold smoker blower but I'm assuming the cold smoker itself gets too hot for that.

I do use a Ziploc bag for the meater block.

I’ve run mine in the rain without issues but I had it sitting under a side table. It got wet and did not die on me. I wouldn’t expect the air pump is waterproof and you could run into issues, but in KK land it is probably one of the cheapest things to replace too.

To avoid the pain of getting another, the ziploc bag approach is probably a good move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

But, be mindful that it's an air pump and needs to have a steady supply of intake air or it will burn up the motor. So, if you put it in a ziptop bag, make sure there's a few holes in it; plus, cut the corner off for the hose. If you run it and see the bag collapse, then it's not getting enough intake air. 

• Like 1

But, be mindful that it's an air pump and needs to have a steady supply of intake air or it will burn up the motor. So, if you put it in a ziptop bag, make sure there's a few holes in it; plus, cut the corner off for the hose. If you run it and see the bag collapse, then it's not getting enough intake air. 

Good shout tony b! That could have gone very wrong, very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

I'll probably put in an upside down plastic container so there's no worry about it collapsing. Depending on the layout of the pump, I'll either cut holes in the container or leave the lid off the bottom and elevate it a bit so air can get in.

• Like 1