Poochie

Luck is better than skill

Looks like the Komodo Gods were smiling and sending good vibes my way. Someone changed their mind on a 32" and now my name is on it. Best of all, it's leaving on the October shipment! I may buy a Powerball ticket with that kind of luck. I know the first question on your mind is "Hey Poochie, can I pay for it?" No thanks, but I appreciate it.  And speaking of Dennis, he said he'd send a free Bambino to anyone who correctly guesses the color.  Just pay $3500 shipping and handling charge. 

Time to clear a spot in my outdoor building for the new arrival. Someone who owns the double drip pan, please tell me about it. I don't have it on my list of accessories yet. 

• Like 3

I'm getting the lump basket divider, shelves, rotisserie cradle, and pizza stone. Cold smoker and double bottom pan aren't on the list. Yet. I'm going to guess that it'll be delivered by December 1, but with the crazy way things are at the port in California, there's no telling. 

• Like 1

I am the opposite to @tony b.  I hardly ever use my cold smoker but I use my double drip pans often.  They work as a heat shield, a place to roast potatoes and other veg and a base for my El Pastor roasts.  If I had to choose one I might go for the double drip pan from the 23 and use that in the 32.  Easier to manoevre and big enough for most things.  That said, I have one for the 23 and one for the 32 and the latter was good for when I wanted to roast a suckling pig.  

• Like 1

I’m about 7 months in and I use my double bottom more than my cold smoker. For the cold smoker, I think it really depends if you plan to use the smoker pot, wood direct, or you want the cold smoker to use for your longer smokes. If you only plan to use it for cold smokes, I wouldn’t call it a must have. I mostly use a smoker pot for smoking. I like the cold smoker, but it really only works well with pellets or very small wood chips (I use the small Weber ones often, Dennis’s small coffee would too but I have to chop that down a bit for it to stay lit).

Double bottom on the other hand, I use as my drip pan for almost all of my long smokes. Line it with foil for easy clean up, but it really helps keep things clean in the smoker besides the pan itself for me. I also cook veggies in it under some indirect cooks at times. And have used it in conjunction with my cheap Amazon vertical spikes for al pastor and shawarma.

Downside to both…they are a pain in the ass to clean. Cold smoker because the residue makes it stick together and tough to take apart sometimes and it has some hard to clean spaces. Double bottom just because the size of it. Id probably use my double bottom even more if I had an easier way to clean it. I have a tub it fits in perfectly for a good soak, so I can’t even say I don’t have a good method, but it becomes an outdoor thing with a hose and tub for me. Anything I can’t wash in the sink, I consider a pain in the ass.

All of that said. I have both and I use both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do have to say that I have found a good use of the double drip pan - the base for my vertical spike for doing shawarma/gyro/al pastor cooks. I typically don't put veggies in it, but I've enjoyed seeing the pics from others that do it. The reason for the double bottom was a suggestion by several of us here when Dennis 1st rolled out the single pan, was to make sure that the drippings for gravy, etc. didn't burn. It works. I did use it once for a Thanksgiving turkey to make the gravy - yeah, it was a tad smoky, but I liked it. 

Cold smoker - I've done cheese, salmon (both cold and "warm" smoked (140F), nuts and most recently - smoking beef tallow and pork leaf lard. I have used it to add smoke to hot cooks, but generally default to the smoker pot, because my older KK doesn't have the dual ports - so you have to choose smoker or Guru for your cook. I like using the Guru on long cooks, so I HAVE to use the smoker pot and not the cold smoker. As noted, pellets in the cold smoker are the only way to go - hard to keep wood chips lit. Buy high quality ones that don't have a lot of "binder" added - that's what gunks up the smoker. I like these guys:

Our Smoking Pellets - BBQ Lumberjack wood pellets for smoking

• Like 3

Here is the double drip pan in the 23 being used to roast potatoes

F7821317-3733-43EB-9CA9-776C54C8CB80.thumb.jpeg.8623dee83090af91964de4cfa995d691.jpeg

And here is the double drip pan from the 23 in my 32.  It is easy to handle and holds more than enough veg for most purposes i.e. you may be better off getting the double drip pan for the 23 for use in the 32.  That gets over the challenges with weight and cleaning of the pan for the 32.  I have both and am happy to pick the right pan for the job on the day.

6B4DED06-4832-48B1-9ADC-1988034A8591.thumb.jpeg.3f1ad86057ac96a3f8e8868760077b68.jpeg

• Like 2

It's a cold smoker because it does not generate enough heat to cook something.. that does not mean that you can't use it for smoking while cooking low and slow.
It works great for that too.. The secret with keeping the wood smoldering is to microwave the wood until it stops steaming or starts smoking. Especially in humid  climates.. Removing the last little bit of moisture in it makes all the difference.

14 hours ago, Poochie said:

You're not kidding, Paul! My KK will be on the water tomorrow (Tuesday October 12) so I'm pumped.  And here's the color...

I have a 16" TT in cobalt blue...tiles! 

I remember reading on this forum a long time ago that all KKs were tiles. Between shipping damage, accidental drops and such the corners were knocked off or rounded over. Dennis, being ever-so thrifty thought "I bet I can glue all these damaged tiles on and some folks will think they're something special!" And now you know the history behind the damaged tile UMM...pebble KKs. 

• Haha 3