stpetejb

22 vs 19 Table Top Decision

I’m trying to decide between the 22” Beast Table Top and the 19” lil isla. I’m building a built in kitchen and want to upgrade from my current KJ Big Joe. 

One concern is that the 22 could overpower the space (it’s not going to be a huge kitchen) but I think it’ll fit. I am intrigued that the charcoal is further away from the cooking surface on the 22 and wondering how much will this effect cooking quality? Is the 22 a better cooking vessel than the 19? 

Id also love some experience from people with a lil isla - what are you able to fit on it? Do you wish you had gone larger? Price is not a concern, just sizing and aesthetics  

Thanks for the help and excited to join the KK community. 

Welcome!!  I believe that both of those KKs are superior to anything on the market you have been using.  Certainly the number of people you would be routinely cooking for has some significance in your decision.  I hear your thoughts and this was my experience.  I was contemplating, for weeks, a 23 or a 32.  I actually placed my order for a 23 and had buyers remorse.  I called Dennis back and changed it to a 32 and I do not regret it.  I guess the morale of my story is that I really appreciate the versatility the added space provides.  But you are the only one who knows how they will work best in your space.  I may be speaking out of turn, but I think most would prefer to go larger versus smaller if they have the space to accommodate it.  Particularly, if price is not a concern.  I would think it would be an adjustment to go from a KJ big Joe down to a 19” cooker.  The really BIG question is tiles or pebbles?  Good luck with your decision.  Maybe someone can weigh in on their experience with the lil isla.  

Since you need to preheat to heat soak before doing a long cook, the distance between the fire and cooking surface isn't critical for low and slow. For searing, that distance is critical and both sizes come with a lower grate that suits just above the charcoal basket.

I think the larger KKs take longer and/or use more fuel to heat soak so unless that's a consideration, go with the largest that you can afford and will fit in the allocated space. 

I have the 19 TT and have cooked 4 Boston Butts on it.  It is a great grill/cooker/smoker.  Having said that........if the 22 TT was available when I purchased my 19 or if I had to replace the 19, I would go with the 22 in a heartbeat.  Mostly for the extra room for ribs, multiple cuts of meat, etc.    The 19 can be tight on some of my larger cooks.  Agree with the previous comments.....go as big as your space will allow.       

pork3.jpeg.3bcee5b6e215617b67696eab9e164dbd.jpeg

1871681262_19LowerGrate2.thumb.jpeg.ee4f5a0dd0be16ebcf63620be0fcb690.jpeg

1167114128_19UpperGrate2.thumb.jpeg.9c2b5eaea838f2e710ba6f656a8a8efc.jpeg

Edited by Jon B.
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 1:41 AM, stpetejb said:

I am intrigued that the charcoal is further away from the cooking surface on the 22 and wondering how much will this effect cooking quality? Is the 22 a better cooking vessel than the 19? 

Short answer to your second question is that, yes the 22 is a better cooking vessel than the 19.  I can say that with confidence even though I have owned neither.  I have a 16 and while it is fun to cook on, it has limitations, one of which is how close your food is to the fire.  In my larger KKs you have the option to cook indirect higher up or close to the fire on the lower grates.  It’s all about flexibility and, in addition to the extra space, the 22 offers better cooking options.  

• Like 7

On 10/10/2021 at 3:54 AM, stpetejb said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I'm going to go ahead with the Beast 22" Table Top.  Can't wait to place my order and get the process going!  Now, what color and tiles or pebbles to get? :)

Awesome. I love the look of the 22 but do not have the right setting to have one.  It is indeed a Beast and moving it to get it into position is going to be a significant task, Colour?  I think I saw an insta picture of a gloss black tile on a table top TT.  I thought it was very beautiful.

• Like 1

Color is the hardest choice especially because it really is personal preference. Nobody is going to tell you one over the other (except for team bronze) because they are all amazing, especially when seen in person.

Pick your color with certainty over all else. After you order you are going to have a few months of anxious and exciting wait time, where you’ll dive deep into this forum and others, end up spending more than your wanted on accessories both from KK or another party, and ultimately build your excitement for delivery day. You don’t want to taint that experience by ogling other colors, second guessing yourself and creating buyers remorse for something you don’t even have yet. It will be a waste of your time and nerves, because no matter what you end up with you will love.

The ooos and ahhhs at other colors and how good they look never goes away. It is why we all are genuinely excited for each new owner on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4