RokDok

Grasshopper Short Beef Ribs

It's our friend Peter's birthday, and his wife asked if a bunch of us would meet in the village pub this evening at 8pm to celebrate.

So, as we live next-door to the pub we suggested that the bunch came here for some food first.

Now having been under the spell of @tekobo 's KK cooking wizardry - and having eaten her fab veal short ribs we thought this would be a great dish to serve tonight.

In view of the fact that it's a pretty significant birthday for Peter, slow cooked ( braised really) rib is moist, succulent and above all soft, it would be easy for him to eat.

We could even cut it up small for him if he forgot to bring his teeth.

There is a commercial butcher at the end of the road. I know them well and I ordered the short rib from them.

An unusual request here in Blighty : " So, let's get this straight Dok - you want Pork Spare Ribs, but not separate - all joined up and not in Pork but in Beef - so - bones with a lump of meat on them".

" Yes, indeed , I think that would be a reasonably accurate  approximation of my requirement "

So,  picked them up this morning :

28B90C0E-03EA-4C69-8549-C03FF244FC2C.thumb.jpeg.d41959cf73113613f69bbc30c4e49ba8.jpeg

The thing is that they are frozen.

Mrs RD is always giving me tips and advice and very helpful in pointing out where I've done things wrong, but she suggested browning them in a pan first.

8/10

Roasting them over direct heat with some cherry wood initiated the smokiness, gave a decent Maillard and really helped with the thawing out :

IMG_3135.thumb.jpg.ea44d0666b51034a2d847c3ba56822f6.jpg

Whilst this was happening Mrs RD made a braising stock of :

Softened Onion & Garlic, Star Anise, Fresh Ginger, Coriander Powder, Chinese 5-Spice, White wine vinegar, soy sauce and beef stock, which we poured over the browned ribs, followed by a couple;e of bottles of stout from a batch I'd made in 2017.:

IMG_3145.thumb.jpg.d0690e1bc322deea12135ac54a70f8ad.jpg

Both pans now in the KK at about 150 celsius with hunks of cherry wood from our tree which had a haircut a month or so ago.

• Like 9

About 5 hours in now and the ribs have shrunk a bit so all four can go in one tin, not needed to add any further liquid so far :

IMG_3152.thumb.jpeg.772d93ecfa0ce8f542ade5306422f8ed.jpeg

I'm flipping the ribs every hour or so and basting to keep them moist.

My first two cookbooks which I bought about 35 years ago were the Roux brothers, and The Manoir aux Quatre Saisons by Raymond Blanc. It was just about possible to cook recipes form the first - the latter was very difficult, but I did like the first few dozen pages on how to peel shape and cook vegetables.

In particular potatoes.

I like to carve them into little boat shapes :

:IMG_3150.thumb.jpeg.dd1437edad7838bb7a5337bd8fe83e50.jpeg

And, before you ask ... all my injections are up to date - I haven't missed any.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tony b said:

I was inspired. Got beef short ribs on the KK now for dinner tonight. 

Excellent choice @tony b !

Mine cooked for 8 hours but ideally could have done with a bit more time ( @tekobo suggested 8-12 hours at 150 celsius)

We had some left over for tonight's supper and it is even better !

Would have gone well with stout , but didn't have the room.

• Like 3

No in-progress cooking shots, as it was drizzly rain all afternoon. Ribs were on for 5 hours, wrapped in pink butcher paper after 3 hours with smoked beef tallow slather, and rested in the cooler for 90 minutes. Cook was indirect @ 275F with smoker pot of hickory, mesquite & post oak chunks. 

Plated with rosemary/thyme mashed potatoes with shitake mushroom gravy. Leftover coleslaw from the other night's cook. Nice Rhone red blend to go with it all.

1298084741_BeefShorties002.thumb.jpg.d2bb24be3886b1abfda4bab51f4369d4.jpg

• Like 8