jeffshoaf

Cold smoke milk?

I just realized the two places I described are not in the piedmont region, but in the mountains, tecnically.  But anyway - North Carolina is great.  My wife's family has always gone to the beach in the outer banks.  We are going for 2 weeks again.  My daughter was at summer camp in Brevard and will be doing the same this year, ending her camp in the middle weekend of this beach trip.  Last year I drove all the way across the state on US-64 from OBX all the way to Brevard to pick my daughter up at summer camp.  It's a great drive.  But anyway more to your area if you're in the piedmont, I love Winston-Salem.  My brother-in-law went to school there at Wake.  Hard to believe the Deacs are undefeated this year in football.  Looking fwd to seeing what happens there.

39 minutes ago, johnnymnemonic said:

@jeffshoafI was in the great smokies just a week or so ago and went through your neck of the woods. We took US 23 / GA 441.  Stopped in a little town called Sylva.  One of the prettiest little towns I have seen.  Reminded me a little bit of Fort Payne, AL but even prettier.  My wife's parents have a place at Lake Burton, GA which is near Murphy which is kind of in the foothills.  Western NC is beautiful, all of it.

That's Southwest of me - I'm closer to Virginia than SC/GA. Less humid up here in the summer!

I grew up in the Piedmont (Greenville) and lived a few other places in the area (Asheville, Hendersonville), I have to say I've never seen or eaten this stew before? Brunswick stew - yes. I've even had Burgoo when I lived in eastern KY. Both cooked over open fires in big cast iron pots. But never anything that's this milk-based, except for oyster stew or clam chowder (NE - of course!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tony b said:

I grew up in the Piedmont (Greenville) and lived a few other places in the area (Asheville, Hendersonville), I have to say I've never seen or eaten this stew before? Brunswick stew - yes. I've even had Burgoo when I lived in eastern KY. Both cooked over open fires in big cast iron pots. But never anything that's this milk-based, except for oyster stew or clam chowder (NE - of course!)

I think Greenville is too far East. I grew up in Winston-Salem and now I'm just north of there in King - just south of Pilot Mountain. Yes, that's "Mount Pilot" as mentioned on the Andy Griffith Show. Andy grew up in Mount Airy which is just north of Pilot Mountain and considered to be the basis of Mayberry. Mount Airy is way too proud of Andy, especially since he rarely returned after leaving.

Some places call this dish "mull" instead of "stew",  but they're obviously confused. ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_mull

Most folks who've never had it think it would be bland, but I've never found it so. Lots of volunteer fire departments around here make it for fund raisers and usually have multiple pots, some cooked over wood and some cooked over gas - there are folks who think coming over wood is dirty!

Edited by jeffshoaf