Tyrus

Odds and ends

Back around the end of May a new neighbor of mine approached me saying he was going to cut down all the trees up to the property line we shared. Well I said, It's your property Michael, you don't need my permission and so I left it as it was and traveled down to Georgia for a vacation to visit an ol friend. Now you have to understand that forest was a beautiful 150 ft buffer providing a bit of nature and the privacy we grew accustomed to enjoy for many years, not to mention it bordered my ODK area. Upon our return I reluctantly ventured out for a peak, and to my demise it appeared as if someone had dropped a bomb.  Stumps and dirt were the scene before me and this vision had to change. A fence had to be built, so Table saw, planer, miter saw and such were pulled back into employment and a 7 foot wall with Viking supports was begun. A month a 1/2 later between stops at the saw mill and working the lumber it finally was erected.  A funny positive came out of this whole dilemma..........I hired a Surveyor to measure our property line to ensure the fence being built wasn't encroaching on his property and so as a result we found that our other property line actually extended 15 feet beyond our backyard fence. This will be additional space for the ODK extension, not bad.   

While this was going on and between time I built this cabinet of the red white and blue for overflow,  and of course one has to eat. These ribs had a dusting of Mississippi Grind and were basted with The Pride of Deer Camp BBQ Sauce with a touch of honey. You really should try it, great as a marinate and adds to the meat at the end.   A sauce and a spice if your interested, It's Incredible is an all purpose spice from Texas and simply goes well on anything to start your base. The sauce is a balsamic cherry mix and I thought of Basher when I picked this up for a lamb finisher. You can make it yourself by reducing some ordinary balsamic a bit, then mincing in Luxardo black cherries with some of it's sauce, all for a finisher to your roasted lamb. Speaking of finishers, I came across this bag of lump at True Value, a product made in Maine. It's called Wicked Good because of the slang term alot of people use in and around the Boston area, this was an excellent all natural bag of lump, huge chunks up top and a consistent good size throughout. C6Bill keep your eyes open for this one, good quality.                                                          

DSCF3646.JPG

DSCF3633.JPG

DSCF3631.JPG

DSCF3619 (1).JPG

DSCF3643.JPG

DSCF3604.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was buying a S. American lump, unfortunately the price doubled. This Lump was reasonable and was of good quality so I have converted. Don't think I have thanked you C6Bill for the Mother Anna referral, had a excellent Italian dinner there, so thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tony b said:

Can't get it here anymore. 😢

I just picked up a couple of 20lb bags at the local True value today Toney. That's unfortunate, but as I was leaving I asked him as is the case at these hardware stores..to order a few more with my name attached.  They are complete without the errant board sometime seen in Cowboy or Frontier, a tad more costly, but worth the added expense.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:07 AM, C6Bill said:

They are in Westfield and will sell direct to the public, you could drive right up and get a pallet

Thanks C6Bill, but I don't have the room, I just purchased a couple of tons of wood pellets and room is tight. I would imagine if your buying a ton the price/bag is less. Next year as the ODK expands and space becomes available. Geeecchz, I hope the CEO of Cowboy isn't a member here, you two just tore him a new one, ouch.

• Haha 1

I found this a little ODD. Look a bit closer and focus on the price, one is $7.99/lb and the other is $5.99/lb, regardless it's what I would call sticker shock. Is this a common thing? Did it sneak up on me or you? I'd be interested if in the heartland or elsewhere this is common. Last year this wasn't the case.

DSCF3647.JPG

And to top it off, our Costco doesn't have Angus Prime anymore. They have Prime Choice. It makes a big difference in the briskets. The big meaty Angus beef ribs (Dino bones) they used to sell have been replaced by choice ribs that have less meat than lizard ribs.  But they still have those rotisserie chickens for $4.99 that get you in to store so you can buy $200 worth of other stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1