KK787

FOIL POUCH SMOKING TECHNIQUE

Hello …….. I am going to do my next long smoke using the foil pouch method.  I realize there is the cast iron pot method too, but I would like to limit this discussion to the foil pouch.  I am planning on using unsoaked wood chunks.  A few questions.  How many for a 5 hours of smoke before the bark achieves 140+ degrees?  Do you want space between them or pack them in tight/wrap tight or loose?  Like the pot, do you put 3 pencil sized holes on the bottom near the center?  Holes up or holes down toward the fire?  

Any advice you can provide, pictures, etc would be great - really appreciate the help!

All the best

Don’t over think it. There will be some trial and error.
No need to have major space between, but I also wouldn’t wrap it burrito tight. Think pouch.
A couple holes facing down. A couple being 2.
Careful with the hole size and placement for two reasons.
1. You don’t want the holes to clog with ash mid cook.
2. If they are too big, the wood could catch fire instead of smolder. Not the kind of smoke you want and I’ve seen the foil burn through on the bottom when that happens (very unlikely, but has happened)

Good luck and cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like BOC said 2 seem to work, however like any thing else there are variables and nothing is guaranteed. Place the first in the red coals, I usually do when I was applying this method and few scratches in the foil, small. The second was close to first, but a small distance away and place it on the top, no need to bury although I don't think it matters much. With this method experimentation and luck go hand and hand and it seems that even when your confident in the process it never plays out the same way. The smoke starts out on the whiteish side and after 5 or 10 minutes changes into your blue, depending on the wood. Practice and repetition are your ally, everyone is different and picks up on display differently, your looking for a control in this and like I said it changes from cook to cook.   Oh, one other thing, I personally have always used chunks med size or however you determine medium. Good luck

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

When I use a foil pouch, it's usually with chips over chunks (I have a cast iron smoker pot for those). I keep the pouch "loose," and use a toothpick to punch a couple of small holes in the bottom. I only use the pouch method on shorter cooks, as the smoke production is short (relative to the smoker pot). Best example - jerk chicken. I have pimento wood chunks, leaves and berries (aka - allspice) that I put into a foil pouch. Works great. 

• Like 1

Please also remember that the vapor you are trying to create is also in your charcoal. For more smoke flavor remove any charcoal that you have grilled with and replace it with fresh charcoal. Once you burn your charcoal over 450º the organic material that makes the smoke  flavor is greatly reduced.  Above about 450 you will see flames on your charcoal..that's your flavor turning to vapor and burning off.. ;-) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2