jeffshoaf

Mojobricks

55 minutes ago, tony b said:

Looks interesting. Curious as to what they use for their binder?

"Bound by an organic binder, it is 100% natural. " 

This could be anything?  

I'm planning on doing more research. I stumbled across a mention of these early in a trip down another rabbit hole and made a mental note to follow-up on them.

The aforementioned rabbit hole is an expensive one that I'm trying to climb out but I keep finding justification to keep pushing further in....

Wood fiber using pressure and heat forced through holes make pellets and in so doing secrete lignin as a natural binder. Different shape, same smoke. It's all in what you prefer, having said that I still prefer the pot with a simple addition for tight fit. Apple wood chunks the other day on some salmon

DSCF3651.JPG

DSCF3652.JPG

• Like 1

Or go to plan B.  For a low and slow, I start a few pieces of lump or lump briquettes and pour them in one small area of the smoker.  Then I set wood chunks from the hot area to the cold area.  No more than 2 inches between chunks. . Simple old school method.  No pot, no flour glue, no mess.  And it'll last way past the 140 degree mark when the meat stops taking on smoke. I know the pot is very popular on here but I've never had a problem getting smoke flavor. Clean smoke flavor.  Fire away troops!

• Haha 1

They're having a Veterans Day sale - 30%  off.

I was going to get some minis too try in the cold smoker while they were on sale but the shipping charge for 4  bags was $25 for a $28  order. You can get free shipping for a $60 or more order but I don't want to drop $60  just to try them out.

Edited by jeffshoaf

But why buy compressed wood chips when you can use a solid chunk of real wood with some sap left in it?  Buy some hickory, cherry, or even oak from a firewood guy. Chop and split it to the size you want. Place it on hot coals. Enjoy a brew. Done.  $20 worth of firewood from a scalper selling it at $1 a split will give you smoke for much longer than these bags of shreaded wheat.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Poochie said:

But why buy compressed wood chips when you can use a solid chunk of real wood with some sap left in it?  Buy some hickory, cherry, or even oak from a firewood guy. Chop and split it to the size you want. Place it on hot coals. Enjoy a brew. Done.  $20 worth of firewood from a scalper selling it at $1 a split will give you smoke for much longer than these bags of shreaded wheat.  

While there is some merit in what you're saying, it strongly resembles posts on other forums that state they can get just as good results from a BGE as from a KK and use all the money they'll save on meat to cook... 😏

I'd be willing to spend $10 - $25  to see if these do provide some advantage but I'm not willing to spend $50+.

I've read those posts too. This is just as good as that...but much cheaper. I've found when something is advertised as just as good as...an iPhone, a KK,....it isn't.  In this case I'm rooting for the real thing...wood. But someone needs to get it to test it out and see how good or bad it is. Good luck with it and keep us posted. 

• Like 1