Troble

Pasta Maker

I’ve been wanting to make my own pasta for a few years now but have prioritized other things (like my KK) over investing in a pasta maker machine. I’m thinking about making 2022 the year I start rolling out my own dough and I was wondering if any of you fine people have any recommendations. I’m hoping to make lasagna, gnocchi, spaghetti, fusilli & a farfalle pasta

got any advice for me as I start this process? Thanks in advance 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Troble said:

I’ve been wanting to make my own pasta for a few years now but have prioritized other things (like my KK) over investing in a pasta maker machine. I’m thinking about making 2022 the year I start rolling out my own dough and I was wondering if any of you fine people have any recommendations. I’m hoping to make lasagna, gnocchi, spaghetti, fusilli & a bow tie pasta

got any advice for me as I start this process? Thanks in advance 

For pasta that starts with flat sheets of dough, we use a simple hand cranked adjustable roller with a couple cutting attachments. Dough made by hand. But for extruded pasta (tubes of various shapes), you would need a machine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Start with the Atlas hand cranked pasta roller, with a couple of cutters for fettucine and spaghetti.  (The Kitchen Aid mixer attachment is WAY overpriced!) You'll also want to get a drying rack, unless you plan to cook it immediately. Use good flour made for pasta. You'll need a sizable workspace, too. Rolling out pasta takes several feet in length of workspace. And, it's easier if you have 2 people - one to feed in the dough and turn the crank; and the 2nd person to catch the pasta coming out of the rollers and lay it out flat. 

It's really not that difficult, once you get the hang of it, to make basic pasta shapes. Ravioli - well, that's a different ballgame altogether! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tony b said:

Ravioli - well, that's a different ballgame altogether! 

Just two flat sheets of pasta, dollops of filling on the first sheet, wet slightly between the dollops, lay the second sheet on top, press and cut apart.  Then cross your fingers that the pockets don't come apart when boiling. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In my fantasy world I would make fresh pasta every week.  It is so simple, and therapeutic, to get your flour and eggs on the table, knead them and turn them into beautiful home made dishes.  That said, it is messy and time consuming and it is much faster to open a packet or grill a steak.  

Only two bits of advice from me: 1) don't go hand cranked.  It is so much easier to have an electric roller helping you.   Leaves you with two hands free to handle the pasta.  I went to my local Kenwood outlet store and got the roller and cutter attachments at a good price. 2) find a local class with someone who has made a lot of pasta in their life.  Having them show you how easy it all is and the tricks for particular types of pasta is worth a lot in time spent on trial and error on your own.  

Above all, have fun!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1