Cheesehead_Griller

Hello from Wisconsin

After college and starting my business, I'm finally at a point in life to invest in a grill. I've used a gas grill for the past year. Not any gas grill but a Holland Grill. It has served me well but I need something with a bit more versatility for my family. 

I've considered a pellet grill but quickly dismissed it. I wanted something without electronics, augers, motors, etc. I need stuff that reduce stress in my life not add to it. Considered the Komodo Joe and others but weaned something large enough to accommodate our family but also for holidays and parties. I wanted a grill large enough to cook meats and sides simultaneously. After endless amounts of research, reading forums, and watching YouTube videos I've decided on the 32" Big Bad. I ordered it in the Cobalt Blue square tiles but wish I would've went with the pebble. Oh, well. I'll like it no matter the tile shape :)

I'm excited to begin my journey of cooking with a KK. I have a lot to learn and hopefully plenty of time left on this planet to do so 😎

Grill is expected to ship in the next few weeks and hopefully make it to WI by early February. 

Edited by Cheesehead_Griller
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Cheesehead_Griller said:

I wanted a grill large enough to cook meats and sides simultaneously. After endless amounts of research, reading forums, and watching YouTube videos I've decided on the 32" Big Bad. I ordered it in the Cobalt Blue square tiles but wish I would've went with the pebble. Oh, well. I'll like it no matter the tile shape :)

Stop right there!  My view is that you should not start your KK journey with regrets.  Get in touch with Dennis and ask for a change if you really want pebble instead of tile.  A month or two's delay, if any, will be worth it.   I think the 32 is a great cooking machine and you have made the right choice there.  If you want extra versatility I would get a second KK while you are at it.  I have three and I love having the ability to cook a whole meal outdoors, using different temps in each grill as necessary.  Your KK, your choice, my two penneth's worth.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

Stop right there!  My view is that you should not start your KK journey with regrets.  Get in touch with Dennis and ask for a change if you really want pebble instead of tile.  A month or two's delay, if any, will be worth it.   I think the 32 is a great cooking machine and you have made the right choice there.  If you want extra versatility I would get a second KK while you are at it.  I have three and I love having the ability to cook a whole meal outdoors, using different temps in each grill as necessary.  Your KK, your choice, my two penneth's worth.  

I wouldn't say I have regrets about going with square tiles. I just grew to like the pebble a bit more than I did initially. It's not a big deal. I'll enjoy my KK 32 regardless of tile shape. I'm stoked to get it and begin my journey. 

I considered buying 2 23's versus one 32 but I was advised to get the 32. I wanted the ability to cook more than just one thing and have a few different temps zones so I can cook an entire meal on the 32. I hope my expectations are in line with reality. Lol. 

Edited by Cheesehead_Griller
  • Like 1

@Cheesehead_Griller the 32 is a great choice.  It has a lot of room and the ability to split the firebox down to a quarter of its size means that you can cook very economically if you only have a small cook.  If you are even thinking of it I would go for a second KK - now or at some point in the future.  I thought it was a mad idea until I tried it myself.  An example is being able to grill at high temps in one KK while the other is still going low and slow.  Not having to wait or juggle cooks is a nice luxury.  And you could order your second KK in pebble and settle, once and for all, the argument about which cooks best - tile or pebble?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Cheesehead_griler, fellow Wisconsinite here, not to many of us here on this forum. I own 2 KK’s both in tile, 32” BB and a 21”.  One is in SE WI and the other is in Northern WI. What part of Wisconsin are you in? Maybe we can do a co-op buy on KK charcoal once it becomes available again. If you are looking to see on in person and discuss KK cooking don’t hesitate to reach out to me. 

All the best and Happy Turkey day to all on the Forum!

Welcome to the club, Cheesehead_griller.  Once you have it at your home you won't think about color or tile shapes very much. You'll be too busy enjoying the cooking process. And if you let tekobo and MacKenzie tell you what to purchase, you'll  lose your home and have to wear a barrel wherever you go. 

• Haha 5